MONDAY 07 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
HEAVEN’S GATE 35mm d. Michael Cimino, 1980 + Intermission at The Prince Charles (07 MAR 19:00):
“A touching tale of love, loss, landscape and the hardscrabble existence of America’s working poor. Set against the bloody backdrop of the Johnson County War at the end of the 19th Century, this is a fraught love story between rogue Federal Marshal Averill (Kris Kristofferson), local madam Ella (Isabelle Huppert) and association mercenary Nate (Christopher Walken). With Vilmos Zsigmond’s spectacular cinematography of dustfilled, snow-peaked landscapes, Cimino brings together all the ingredients for a Western epic.”
- BASQUIAT d. Julian Schnabel, 1996 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (07 MAR 19:30).
- THE ELECTRICAL LIFE OF LOUIS WAIN d. Will Sharpe, 2021 at The David Lean (07 MAR 19:30).
- GREAT FREEDOM aka Große Freiheit d. Sebastian Meise, 2021 + Q&A with the director & (by Zoom) actor Franz Rogowski at Curzon Bloomsbury (07 MAR 18:15).
- KING RICHARD d. Reinaldo Marcus Green, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (07 MAR 20:00).
- Preview: TRUE THINGS d. Harry Wootliff, 2021 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (07 MAR 20:35).
- No Ticket Required: Online discussion of THE SELFISH GIANT d. Clio Barnard, 2013 with Michael Brooke at Watermans (07 MAR 20:00 – FREE! / Watch the film beforehand).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various); ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (07 MAR 15:00); HEAVEN’S GATE 35mm d. Michael Cimino, 1980 + Intermission (07 MAR 19:00).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 (07 MAR 18:00).
THE ABC OF ASTA NIELSEN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IN THE EYES OF THE LAW 35mm aka Nach dem Gesetz d. Willy Grunwald, 1919 + Live piano accompaniment by Stephen Horne (07 MAR 18:15).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (07 MAR 12:45).
- See also STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: PUTTING ON A SHOW at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): 8 1/2 aka Otto e mezzo d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (07 MAR 20:15).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various); THE POWER OF THE DOG d. Jane Campion, 2021 (07 MAR 12:15 4K).
REWARDING DOCS at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SUMMER OF SOUL d. Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, 2021 (07 MAR 13:45); ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (07 MAR 20:50).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): POM POKO d. Isao Takahata, 1994 (from 05 MAR).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (07 MAR 15:00).
- Cinema Made in Italy at Ciné Lumière (03 to 07 MAR).
- Glasgow Film Festival (02 to 13 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
ATLANTIS d. Valentyn Vasyanovych, 2019:
- Also 04 to 10 MAR (various dates/times): A STARRY SKY ABOVE THE ROMAN GHETTO d. Giulio Base, 2020 at: JW3 // DREAMS aka Sueños d. Marcos Martínez, 2021 at: ICA // THE GODFATHER: PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE SANCTITY OF SPACE d. Renan Ozturk & Freddie Wilkinson, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Genesis Cinema / Rich Mix // THE WORLD WITHOUT YOU d. Damon Shalit, 2019 at: JW3 (from 10 MAR).
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.