SATURDAY 27 AUGUST 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
TROUBLE IN PARADISE d. Ernst Lubitsch, 1932 presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (27 AUG 19:30).
“I love you as a crook. I worship you as a crook. Steal, swindle, rob. Oh, but don’t become one of those useless, good-for-nothing gigolos.”
“Join Women & Cocaine as we screen Ernst Lubitsch’s elegant and naughty masterpiece, TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932). Thief Gaston Monescu (Herbert Marshall) and playful pickpocket Lily (Miriam Hopkins) are partners in crime and love. Working for perfume company executive Mariette Colet (Kay Francis), the two crooks decide to combine their criminal talents to rob their employer. Under the alias of Monsieur Laval, Gaston uses his position as Mariette’s personal secretary to become closer to her. However, he takes things too far when he actually falls in love with Mariette, and has to choose between her and Lily.” (Women & Cocaine)
- ALICE IN THE CITIES d. Wim Wenders, 1974 at Regent Street Cinema (27 AUG 15:50 / 28 AUG 19:45 / 31 AUG 17:10).
- BABY FACE d. Alfred E. Green, 1933 at Regent Street Cinema (27 AUG 13:45).
- TOP GUN: DOUBLE BILL at Chiswick Cinema (27 AUG 18:00).
- TOP GUN: DOUBLE BILL at Picturehouse Cinemas (27 AUG various / 28 AUG various).
- TROUBLE IN PARADISE d. Ernst Lubitsch, 1932 presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (27 AUG 19:30).
- THE WIZARD OF OZ d. Victor Fleming, 1939 at The Garden Cinema (27 AUG 15:45).
Check venues for full listings…
90S CINEMA ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- SCREAM 35mm d. Wes Craven, 1996 (27 AUG 22:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: POWER! at BFI Southbank
- THE WHITE RIBBON aka Das weisse Band d. Michael Haneke, 2009 (27 AUG 17:50).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- NIGHT AND THE CITY d. Jules Dassin, 1950 (27 AUG 15:50).
CELEBRATING PENÉLOPE CRUZ at The Garden Cinema
- EVERYBODY KNOWS d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 (27 AUG 20:15).
CLOSE-UP ON WIM WENDERS at Close-Up
- PARIS, TEXAS d. Wim Wenders, 1984 (27 AUG 20:00).
- ANOTHER PARADISE d. Olivier Magis, 2019 + Conversation with authors Natasha Soobramanien & Luke Williams, activist Sabrina Jean, hosted by author Gurnaik Johal (27 AUG 16:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- UNDER THE SKIN d. Jonathan Glazer, 2013 (27 AUG 17:50).
FROM JAMAICA TO THE WORLD: REGGAE ON FILM at BFI Southbank
- BETTER MUS’ COME d. Storm Saulter, 2010 (27 AUG 20:45).
- Re-release: THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 (27 AUG 18:30).
KINUYO TANAKA: A LIFE IN FILM at BFI Southbank
- GIRLS OF THE NIGHT 4K aka Onna bakari no yoru d. Kinuyo Tanaka, 1961 (27 AUG 16:00).
- THE WANDERING PRINCESS 4K aka Ruten no ohi d. Kinuyo Tanaka, 1960 (27 AUG 20:50).
SATYAJIT RAY: THE LANGUAGE OF FILM at BFI Southbank
- The woman question: CHARULATA aka The Lonely Wife d. Satyajit Ray, 1964 (27 AUG 12:00).
- Travel stories: DAYS AND NIGHTS IN THE FOREST 35mm aka Aranyer Din Ratri d. Satyajit Ray, 1969 (27 AUG 14:40).
- Histories of the land: DELIVERANCE 35mm aka Sadgati d. Satyajit Ray, 1981 (27 AUG 17:30).
- Re-release: THE BIG CITY aka Mahanagar d. Satyajit Ray, 1963 (27 AUG 15:00).
OUTDOOR CINEMA Cinema at Barbican Centre
- PRINCESS MONONOKE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1997 subtitled (27 AUG 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- FIGHT CLUB (27 AUG 20:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- LOVE & BASKETBALL (27 AUG 20:00).
BOB SPIT: WE DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE dir. Cesar Cabral, 2019
- Exclusively at: ICA
OFFICIAL COMPETITION aka Competencia Oficial dir. Mariano Cohn & Gastón Duprat, 2021
- Also 26 AUG to 01 SEP (various dates/times): AKILLA’S ESCAPE d. Charles Officer, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // EM VÀ TRỊNH d. Phan Gia Nhat Linh, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema // HER WAY aka Une Femme du monde d. Cécile Ducrocq, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // THE INVITATION d. Jessica M. Thompson, 2022 at: Genesis Cinema // MR. MALCOLM’S LIST d. Emma Holly Jones, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.