RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH d. Nicolas Roeg, 1976 at Regent Street Cinema (05 AUG 20:35):
- “David Bowie plays an alien who crash lands on our planet, trying to find water for his homeworld. Using his technology to become a wealthy industrialist he plans to build a ship to take him back home, but the money and its attendant decadence exert their own pull. ‘A freaky, compelling concept album of a film.’ – Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Short Film Night: Kids & Families + Q&A with the directors at Peckhamplex (05 AUG 18:30):
- “Selection of short films on the theme of Kids and Families followed by Q&A with the directors. Includes: THE LAST DAY OF SUMMER d. Aleskandra Czenzek. LIFE LESSON d. Daniella Dahoui. THE WORD OF MAGIC d. James Atkins. THE STORY OF SID d. Sasanka Srinivas. BUILT TO BE d. Irene Maffei.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at DocHouse (05 AUG 16:30).
- DAVID LYNCH: THE ART LIFE d. Rick Barnes, Olivia Neergarrd-Holm & Jon Nguyen presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (05 AUG 19:00).
- DJANGO UNCHAINED d. Quentin Tarantino, 2012 at Picturehouse Central (05 AUG 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- MY FRIEND THE POLISH GIRL d. Ewa Banaszkiewicz & Mateusz Dymek, 2018 at Watermans (05 AUG 18:15).
- ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at The Prince Charles (05 AUG 18:05).
- PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at DocHouse (05 AUG 14:00).
- UNDIR TRENU aka Under The Tree d. Hafsteinn Gunnar Sigurdsson, 2017 at Deptford Cinema (05 AUG 19:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (05 AUG 20:30 HOH).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- LE JOUR SE LÈVE d. Marcel Carné, 1939 (05 AUG 18:40).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- 1990s New Queer Cinema Panel Discussion (05 AUG 18:10).
- MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO d. Gus Van Sant, 1991 (05 AUG 20:20).
NO DIRECT FLIGHT at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- Swimming in Your Skin Again: Shorts Programme + Q&A with with directors Baloji (Congo), Abdou Cisse, Amira Tajdin (Kenya) & Rhea Dillon (05 AUG 18:20).
- RESTLESS CITY d. Andrew Dosunmu, 2011 + Q&A with Joel Honeywell (05 AUG 20:30).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 enjoys a grind show run (05 AUG 15:50 & 18:15).
- INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2009 (05 AUG 20:30).
- DRIVE 35mm d. Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011 (05 AUG 20:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- DIRTY DANCING (05 AUG 20:30 – Peckham).
TARANTINO ON SCREEN-O at Genesis Cinema (05 to 13 AUG):
- NATURAL BORN KILLERS 35mm d. Oliver Stone, 1994 (05 AUG 21:10).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Kenji Mizoguchi’s Great Triptych – SANSHO THE BAILIFF d. Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954 (05 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (05 AUG 12:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London this week but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know!
OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (05 AUG 15:35):
- “Based on the Japanese manga of the same name, the film tells the horrific tale of Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik), a businessman who is inexplicably kidnapped and imprisoned in a grim hotel room-like cell for 15 years, without knowing his captor or the reason for his incarceration. Eventually released, he learns of his wife’s murder and embarks on a quest for revenge.”
PHOTOGRAPH d. Ritesh Batra, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (05 AUG 16:10 & 20:45):
- “The latest from writer-director Ritesh Batra (The Lunchbox), Photograph is a charming tale of unlikely romance set against the vibrant backdrop of contemporary Mumbai. Rafi (Nawazuddin Siddiqui) is a struggling street photographer who takes tourist portraits at the Gateway of India. When he meets Miloni (Sanya Malhotra), a shy stranger from an affluent family, he convinces her to pose as his fiancée after his overbearing grandmother decides to pay him a visit.”
RECONSTRUCTING UTØYA d. Carl Javér, 2018 at DocHouse (05 AUG 20:40):
- “On 22nd July, 2011, 69 people were murdered in Norway when a far-right terrorist exploded a bomb in Oslo and then proceeded to shoot children on the island of Utøya where the Labour Party’s youth league was holding its summer camp. Four survivors meet in Northern Norway with twelve young Norwegians to share their experiences and reconstruct their memories.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Barbican (02 to 08 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 08 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (04 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 AUG). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (05 to 11 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 08 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Lexi (02 to 05 AUG). DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 1989 at BFI (02 to 09 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 08 AUG). HAMADA d. Eloy Domínguez Serén, 2018 at DocHouse (02 to 08 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 08 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 08 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 07 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 08 AUG). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (until 08 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (02 to 08 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (02 to 08 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.