RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Powell & Pressburger: The Matter Of Britain Lecuture by Professor Ian Christie at Ciné Lumière (11 NOV 18:00):
- “World War Two set British filmmakers a challenge: to be relevant and entertaining; to inspire without patronising. Powell and Pressburger brought wit and imagination to their task, questioning what Britain stood for, warts and all. Followed by: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1943 (11 NOV 19:30).
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
To help you plan ahead, we’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for the month of November.
Maybe it’s the changeable weather, maybe it’s the General Election or maybe we’re just getting tired at this time of year, but our feel-good featured attraction of the month just has to be MUSICALS! at BFI. The ongoing season goes into hyperdrive this month with singalongs, giant screen events at BFI IMAX and a host of strands and special features. The perfect way to escape the November gloom.
We’re delighted to share news that Screen25 in South Norwood has achieved its target of 100 champions & will now be keeping its doors open. Carry on supporting this vibrant community cinema by buying tickets for their autumn season (for which we can tempt you with a juicy discount…).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN d. James Whale, 1935 at Picturehouse East Dulwich (11 NOV 18:30).
- BRITTANY RUNS A MARATHON d. Paul Downs Colaizzo, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (11 NOV 18:30 & 20:40).
- L.A. CONFIDENTIAL d. Curtis Hanson, 1997 at Dulwich Picture Gallery (11 NOV 19:30
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
A HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN MOVIE MUSICAL at Deptford Cinema (21 OCT to 09 DEC):
- GUYS AND DOLLS d. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1956 + Short (11 NOV 19:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: REAL TO REEL at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- BICYCLE THIEVES aka Ladri di biciclette d. Vittorio De Sica, 1948 (11 NOV 14:30).
- A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS 4K aka Per un pugno di dollari d. Sergio Leone, 1964 (11 NOV 21:10 BFI IMAX).
THE FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL at DocHouse (08 to 15 NOV):
- MEETING GORBACHEV d. Werner Herzog & André Singer, 2018 (08 to 14 NOV).
THE FILMS OF DAVID FINCHER at The Prince Charles (15 AUG to 21 NOV):
- THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO 35mm d. David Fincher, 2011 (11 NOV 20:45).
MUSICALS! THE GREATEST SHOW ON SCREEN at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- MY FAIR LADY 4K d. George Cukor, 1964 (11 NOV 14:00).
- Singalongs: Singalong: WEST SIDE STORY d. Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins (11 NOV 18:00 BFI IMAX).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- AMERICAN PIE 35mm d. Paul Weitz & Chris Weitz, 1999 (11 NOV 18:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Czech Velvet 1989-2019 (01 to 29 NOV inc. Made In Prague Film Festival 08 to 11 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Festival (01 to 17 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 24 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (06 to 21 NOV).
- We The Peoples Film Festival (10 to 26 NOV).
THE CROW 35mm d. Alex Proyas, 1994 at The Prince Charles (11 NOV 13:00):
- “The night before his wedding, musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) and his fiancée are brutally murdered by members of a violent inner-city gang. On the anniversary of their death, Eric rises from the grave and assumes the gothic mantle of the Crow, a supernatural avenger.”
THE IRISHMAN d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 at Rio Cinema (Not screening at Rio today, check your local indie!):
- “Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci star in Martin Scorsese’s monumental mobster masterpiece THE IRISHMAN, an epic saga that is poignant, funny, and a majestic elegy on mortality.”
MEETING GORBACHEV d. Werner Herzog & André Singer, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (11 NOV 14:15 & 18:50):
- “Leading the Soviet Union through its period of greatest change, Mikhail Gorbachev was the architect of its democratisation, introducing perestroika and glasnost, but ultimately resigning as, against his wishes, its collapse became inevitable.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A DOG CALLED MONEY d. Seamus Murphy, 2019 at ICA (08 to 14 NOV). BLADE RUNNER : THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 at The Prince Charles (until 13 NOV). BY THE GRACE OF GOD d. Francois Ozon, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 NOV). DOCTOR SLEEP d. Mike Flanagan, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 14 NOV). THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO d. Joe Talbot, 2019 at ICA (until 14 NOV). LUCE d. Julius Onah, 2019 at Rio Cinema (08 to 14 NOV). MONOS d. Alejandro Landes, 2019 at ICA (until 14 NOV). SORRY WE MISSED YOU d. Ken Loach, 2019 at Peckhamplex (until 14 NOV). TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 to 17 NOV). TRIXIE MATTEL: MOVING PARTS d. Nick Zeig-Owens, 2019 at DocHouse (until 13 NOV). YVES SAINT-LAURENT: THE LAST COLLECTIONS d. Olivier Myron, 2018 at ICA (until 14 NOV).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.