RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW d. Panos Cosmatos, 2010 at Moving Pictures Cinema (21 FEB 20:30):
- Science Fiction Theatre presents: “Physician Dr Mercurio Arboria (Scott Hylands) creates a new program of physical therapy and medicine intended to bring people greater happiness and freedom. However, one of his test subjects, Elena (Eva Allan), is not so impressed, and spends her days in a drug-addled haze while kept against her will.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- ZODIAC FILM CLUB: Read Zodiac’s guide to sex education at the movies & their selfie email interview, Zodiac On Zodiac.
- NOW BOOKING: MULTIPLE MANIACS (1970) kickstarts a new John Waters ‘selectrospective’ at The Prince Charles Cinema (04 MAR to 26 JUN 2019). Read our guide to every goddam thing.
- FEBRUARY 2019: Planning ahead? Find out what’s screening for the rest of the month with our epic repertory roundup.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
12 ANGRY MEN 16mm d. Sidney Lumet, 1957 at The Castle Cinema (21 FEB 18:45 – also 24 FEB 15:00):
- Ciné-Real16mm presents: “Following the closing arguments in a murder trial, the 12 members of the jury must deliberate, with a guilty verdict meaning death for the accused, an inner-city teen. As the dozen men try to reach a unanimous decision while sequestered in a room, one juror (Henry Fonda) casts considerable doubt on elements of the case.”
Bob Dylan – Arena Double Bill at Regent Street Cinema (21 FEB 19:30):
- Heavenly Films presents: “Rare cinema screenings for two classic BBC Arena episodes: DYLAN IN THE MADHOUSE d. Anthony Wall, 2005 + TROUBLE NO MORE d. Jennifer Lebeau, 2017.”
IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES d. Nagisa Oshima, 1976 + INTRO/SALON by Nick Walker at Genesis Cinema (21 FEB 18:30):
- Cult Classic Collective presents: “Monthly event with Nick Walker of Rochester Kino returns with a post-Valentine’s screening of Nagisa Oshima’s sensual IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES. The screening will be introduced by Nick and will be followed by a salon discussion upstairs at the bar where you will have a chance to discuss this great film with fellow fans and first-time viewers!”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACKkKLANSMAN d. Spike Lee, 2018 at Rich Mix (21 FEB 20:40).
- CHEF FLYNN d. Cameron Yates, 2018 at DocHouse (21 FEB 14:30).
- DOGMAN d. Matteo Garrone, 2018 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (21 FEB 20:00).
- FREE SOLO d. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin, 2018 at ICA (21 FEB 14:20).
- FREE SOLO d. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin, 2018 presented by Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (21 FEB 21:00 – Includes a free drink)
- HIDDEN FIGURES d. Theodore Melfi, 2016 presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (21 FEB 20:00).
- Indigenous Language Films – UNESCO International Mother Language Day presented by by Native Spirit UK at The Foundry (21 FEB 17:30).
- PIERCING d. Nicolas Pesce, 2018 at The Prince Charles (21 FEB 13:15).
- RINGU d. Hideo Nakata, 1998 + INTRO by Louise Buckler presented by Arrow Video at The Prince Charles (21 FEB 18:25).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- DUNE 70mm d. David Lynch, 1984 (21 FEB 20:45).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (21 FEB 13:00 & 21:00).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (21 FEB 15:30).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (21 FEB 18:15).
BEST OF 2018 at Ciné Lumière (03 to 26 JAN):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 (21 FEB 20:40).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 1989 (21 FEB 20:30).
CLOSE-UP ON VERA CHYTILOVÁ at Close-Up (13 FEB to 01 MAR):
- TRAPS d. Vera Chytilová, 1998 (21 FEB 20:15).
EARLY KOREAN CINEMA: LOST FILMS FROM THE JAPANESE COLONIAL PERIOD at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- MILITARY TRAIN 35mm + VOLUNTEER 35mm d. Suh Kwang-je, 1938 + Anh Seok-young, 1941 (21 FEB 18:10).
HORROR SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum (until 21 MAR):
- HAGAZUSSA d. Lukas Feigelfeld, 2017 (21 FEB 19:00).
JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME: PEOPLE STILL CALL IT LOVE at Curzon Soho (until 21 FEB):
- OF LOVE & LAW + Q&A with director Hikaru Toda & producer Elhum Shakerifar, 2017 (21 FEB 18:30).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- BEYOND THE CLOUDS d. Michelangelo Antonioni & Wim Wenders, 1995 (21 FEB 20:40).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturges, 1941 (21 FEB 18:20 & 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Future Film Festival (21 to 24 FEB).
JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at Rio Cinema (21 FEB 18:00):
- Between being bullied at school, put upon by her overbearing boss at the local amusement arcade and having to look after her younger brother, sister and manic-depressive mother, life isn’t easy for 15 year-old Sarah Taylor. However, when Sarah’s drama teacher channels her ferocious and volatile energies in to a stand-up comedy routine for the graduation showcase, Sarah discovers that she may have a hidden talent…
MEKTOUB MY LOVE: CANTO UNO d. Abdellatif Kechiche, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (21 FEB 14:30):
- Abdellatif Kechiche (winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes in 2013 for BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOUR) casts a nostalgic glow on the wonders of youth in this coming-of-age saga set in 1994. Amin (Shaïn Boumedine), an aspiring screenwriter living in Paris, decides to reconnect with his family and his childhood friends in a fishing village in the South of France.
WHEN THE WAR COMES d. Jan Gebert, 2018 at DocHouse (21 FEB 16:30):
- There are few things as sinister as a young, arrogant man with a dictator-style hair-cut and a violent bully-boy attitude towards society. Peter Švrček lives with his mum in rural Slovakia and is angry about refugees. With various right-wing sympathies and neo-nazi ideals, Švrček proceeds to search for like-minded men to play army games in the woods with him, and gains confidence in his ideas by the election of Trump.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BEAUTIFUL BOY d. Felix van Groeningen, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (16 to 21 FEB). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Arthouse (15 to 21 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (15 to 21 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (16 to 20 FEB). FORGOTTEN SOLDIER d. Lucile Smith, 2018 + 100 FACES d. Benjamin Till, 2018 at JW3 (17 to 21 FEB). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (15 to 21 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 to 21 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 21 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 21 FEB). LOVELESS d. Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (18 to 24 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at Lexi Cinema (15 to 21 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 21 FEB). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (15 to 21 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at Watermans (15 to 21 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.