RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction // Save The Cinema Museum: With several independent venues under threat across London, RADIANT CIRCUS is proud to be supporting the campaign to Save The Cinema Museum. Read our interview with The Celluloid Sorceress, Rebecca Nicole Williams, about her super rare 16mm SPARKLE fundraiser with Samira Ahmed [28 OCT 15:00], then get booking with our exclusive discount code.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
SPARKLE 16mm + Samira Ahmed In Conversation at The Cinema Museum (28 OCT 15:00):
- The Celluloid Sorceress presents: Before DREAMGIRLS (2006) there was SPARKLE (1976). A very rare screening of the cult musical based on stories of Motown and The Supremes, written by Joel Schumacher with songs and music by Curtis Mayfield.
- A Save the Cinema Museum fundraiser: use exclusive RADIANT CIRCUS discount voucher code “sparkle” when booking.
ST. WENCESLAS + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Cappella Mariana at Barbican (28 OCT 15:30):
- A milestone in Czech cinema history, this silent epic was the most expensive Czech film to date, with the largest set constructed in Europe to accommodate an all-star cast of over a hundred, together with 1,000 extras for the lavish battle scenes.
SUPAKINO’s Mondo Horror Movie Show at Rio Cinema (28 OCT 13:00):
- SUPAKINO presents a special Bombay Mix screening for Halloween. Expect a strange potion of ghostly musical oddities from USA, UK, India & Pakistan with a special focus on the 60s beach-party haunted-house sub-genre. Ranjit from SUPAKINO will be chatting with guests in between the clips. Groooooovy!
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ANG LARAWAN at Regent Street Cinema (28 OCT 14:30, 17:00 & 19:30).
- APOLLO 13 at Picturehouse Central (28 OCT 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- BEETLEJUICE – 30TH Anniversary Restoration at Genesis Cinema (28 OCT 20:30).
- BENEATH THE CLOCKTOWER at ArtHouse Crouch End (28 OCT 15:20).
- CREEPY presented by Catford Film at Catford Constitutional Club (28 OCT 19:00).
- JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia at BFI (28 OCT 20:15).
- King Krule – On Film presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (28 OCT 14:00).
- KUSAMA – INFINITY at Barbican (28 OCT 13:00).
- KUSAMA – INFINITY presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (28 OCT 15:00 & 20:00).
- MY FRIEND DAHMER at Whirled Cinema (28 OCT 18:00).
- ROCK MY RELIGION + Dan Graham In Conversation at ICA (28 OCT 16:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (28 OCT 12:00).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- MONSIEUR HULOT’S HOLIDAY aka Les Vacances De Monsieur Hulot (28 OCT 13:30).
- A NEW LEAF 35mm + INTRO (28 OCT 17:40).
- MEAN GIRLS (28 OCT 20:00).
GNARLY MOVIE NIGHTS at House of Vans (11 to 28 OCT – Free! / No booking required):
- HALLOWEEN (1978) (28 OCT 13:00 & 15:30).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- HALLOWEEN (1978) (28 OCT 20:45).
- MANDY (28 Oct 12:30).
- SUSPIRIA (1977) (28 OCT 21:15).
- SALEM’S LOT 112-Minute Theatrical Cut (28 OCT 15:30).
- THE EXORCIST Director’s Cut 35mm + SKYPE Q&A with director William Friedkin (28 OCT 18:05).
HOT DOCS LONDON 2018 at DocHouse (26 to 28 OCT):
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (23 OCT to 18 NOV):
- LE TESTAMENT D’ORPHÉE + SALON with Nick Walker (28 OCT 14:00).
- ORPHÉE (28 Oct 16:00).
- See also (below): Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMAat BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV).
MASAKI KOBAYASHI: THE HUMAN CONDITION at Close-Up (06 OCT to 28 OCT):
- THE HUMAN CONDITION III: A SOLDIER’S PRAYER (28 OCT 18:00).
MUSEUM OF CLOUDS at Tate Modern (26 to 28 OCT):
- SPECULATING WORLDS (28 OCT 14:00).
- MUSEUM OF CLOUDS FORUM (28 OCT 16:00).
- REMOTE SENSING(28 OCT 18:30).
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (28 OCT 2018 to 24 FEB 2019):
- TWELVE MONKEYS + SEASON LAUNCH PARTY (28 OCT 15:30 – Sold Out!).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- LES VISITEURS DU SOIR 35mm (28 OCT 17:30).
- THE PHANTOM BARON aka Le Baron Fantôme 35mm (28 OCT 13:00).
- ORPHÉE (28 OCT 15:20, 17:50 & 20:10).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 06 JAN 2019):
- Legendary films from the greatest animation house on the planet. Includes: TALES FROM EARTHSEA (28 OCT 15:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- 70 Years Of Israeli Cinema (25 to 28 OCT – Free!).
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
- LSF Micro Film Festival (28 OCT).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV).
POSSUM at ArtHouse Crouch End (28 OCT 15:50 & 20:20):
- Together with Possum, a hideous hand-puppet, disgraced puppeteer Philip returns to his childhood home. Staying with his cruel stepfather, Maurice, Philip soon discovers that ridding himself of Possum is no easy task. A truly creepy British horror from the visionary mind behind GARTH MERENGHI’S DARKPLACE.
UTØYA – JULY 22 at ArtHouse Crouch End (28 OCT 18:00):
- Seven years ago on 22 July, more than 500 teenagers at a left-wing political summer camp on a small island outside Oslo, Norway, were targeted by armed right-wing extremist Anders Breivik; an attack that ultimately left 69 people, most of them children, dead.
WORLDS OF URSULA K. LE GUIN at DocHouse (28 OCT 20:30):
- This inspiring documentary looks at the power of science fiction as an art form through one of its foremothers, exploring Le Guin’s life through the prism of the magical worlds she created.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 1945 at JW3 (28 Oct to 01 NOV). BAD REPUTATION at Picturehouse Central (26 OCT to 01 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (28 OCT to 07 NOV). DOGMAN at Ciné Lumière (26 OCT to 06 NOV). DON’T WORRY, HE WON’T GET FAR ON FOOT at Peckhamplex (26 Oct to 01 NOV). THE GUARDIANS at Whirled Cinema (29 OCT to 04 NOV). MANDY at The Castle (26 to 29 OCT). SHIRKERS at ICA (26 OCT to 01 NOV). ORPHÉE at BFI (until 01 NOV). THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD at Phoenix Cinema (26 Oct to 01 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.