RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: DAWSON CITY: FROZEN TIME at The David Lean Cinema (29 MAY 19:30).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
AMANT DOUBLE + Q&A with director François Ozon at Curzon Soho (29 MAY 18:20):
- A whirlwind of heightened senses and amped-up drama, François Ozon’s AMANT DOUBLE is a filthy and flamboyant thriller.
- See AMANT DOUBLE + Q&A with director François Ozon a little later at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY 20:40) where the film also enjoys a grind show run (29 MAY to 14 JUN).
DAWSON CITY: FROZEN TIME at The David Lean Cinema (29 MAY 19:30):
- In 1978, a treasure trove of silent film reels was discovered in the Yukon permafrost. Explaining how it got there, director Bill Morrison weaves together the fascinating tales of Dawson City – born in the chaotic Gold Rush of the 1890s – the birth of the movie industry and the wider history of the early 20th century.
THAT SUMMER + Q&A with director Göran Hugo Olsson at DocHouse (29 MAY 18:30):
- Directed by acclaimed Swedish filmmaker Göran Hugo Olsson, THAT SUMMER centres on the film project artist Peter Beard initiated together with the incandescent Lee Radziwill about her relatives: the Beales of Grey Gardens. Lost for decades, this extraordinary footage re-emerges in Olsson’s documentary.
More films in London today (A – Z): AGUIRRE, WRATH OF GOD at BFI (29 MAY 21:10). ALL ABOUT EVE at The Prince Charles (29 MAY 20:45). A ROOM FOR ROMEO BRASS + INTRO by Joe Dempsie at BFI (29 MAY 20:45). BAR SHORTS FILM CLUB short film programme at The Book Club (29 MAY 20:00). FIRE AND ICE 35mm at The Prince Charles (29 MAY 18:30). THE HAPPY PRINCE at Picturehouse Central (29 MAY 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!). TOP GUN at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (29 MAY 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CHALLENGING PERCEPTIONS at Deptford Cinema (starts 24 APR):
- STITCHED STORIES & CRAFTIVIST WORKSHOP (29 MAY 18:30).
CLOSE-UP ON PIER PAOLO PASOLINI at Close-Up (03 to 29 MAY):
- NOTES TOWARDS AN AFRICAN ORESTES (29 MAY 19:30).
LOST IN AMERICA: THE OTHER SIDE OF REAGAN’S 80s at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- PARTING GLANCES 35mm (29 MAY 21:00).
UPRISING: THE SPIRIT OF ’68 at BFI Southbank (until 29 MAY):
- MEDIUM COOL 35mm + INTRO (29 MAY 18:10).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- WILD COMBINATION: A PORTRAIT OF ARTHUR RUSSELL (29 MAY 20:00, Off The Cuff Bar – Free!).
Everyman Music Film Festival (07 to 31 MAY)
- Next screening: UNDER THE SKIN + LIVE SCORE (31 MAY 19:00, Everyman Muswell Hill).
DukeFest (08 to 11 JUL)
- DUKEFEST LAUNCH NIGHT programme news & previews (29 MAY 19:30, PimpShuei – Free!)
IN THE INTENSE NOW + BRITISH MOVIETONE NEWS REVIEW OF 1968 at Rio Cinema (29 MAY 18:30):
- IN THE INTENSE NOW blends a cornucopia of archive materials documenting the uprisings of 1968 as they unfolded across four different countries. It captures all the euphoria, heady idealism and sadness of tumultuous times.
KOUDELKA: SHOOTING HOLY LAND at DocHouse (29 MAY 18:30):
- Forty years after capturing iconic images of the Soviet invasion of Prague in 1968, Czech Photographer Josef Koudelka arrived in Israel and Palestine. On first seeing the nine-meter-high wall built by Israel in the West Bank, Koudelka is deeply shaken and embarks on a four-year project.
ZAMA at ICA (29 MAY 15:40 & 20:50):
- Nine years after the critically acclaimed THE HEADLESS WOMAN, director Lucrecia Martel returns with ZAMA, a colonial-era satire based on the 1956 existential novel by Argentinian writer Antonio Di Benedetto.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at Picturehouse Central (until 31 MAY). AMANT DOUBLE at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY to 14 JUN). THE BREADWINNER at Rich Mix (25 to 31 MAY). LOTS OF KIDS, A MONKEY AND A CASTLE at DocHouse (25 to 31 MAY). ONCE THERE WAS BRASILIA at ICA (26 to 29 MAY). THE OUTSIDER at DocHouse (25 to 31 MAY). THE RAPE OF RECY TAYLOR at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 to 31 MAY). REVENGE at Ciné Lumière (until 31 MAY). SWEET COUNTRY at Whirled Cinema (28 MAY to 03 JUN). THIS IS CONGO at ICA (25 to 31 MAY). THE WILD BOYS at ICA (until 30 MAY).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.