RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: MISS LESLIE’S DOLLS at The Horse Hospital (29 AUG 19:30): “A rare specimen from the more deranged end of the Grindhouse spectrum, MISS LESLIE’S DOLLS is a memorably demented tale of possession and transvestitism from director Joseph G. Prieto.” – Network.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
MILFORD GRAVES FULL MANTIS + Q&A with Jake Meginsky at DocHouse (29 AUG 18:30):
- Presented by Sheffield Doc/Fest: Milford Graves is an internationally renowned percussionist with a kaleidoscopic sound; this new documentary approaches the story behind his soulful, avant-garde music with experimental, rhythmic editing of archive footage and modern-day interviews.
MISS LESLIE’S DOLLS at The Horse Hospital (29 AUG 19:30):
- Join Erotic Film Society for an exclusive preview of newly restored, long-lost, tale of twisted terror MISS LESLIE’S DOLLS by kind permission of Network Distributing.
MOONWALKER + AFTERPARTY at BFI Southbank (29 AUG 20:40):
- Michael Jackson changed the game when it came to the relationship between music and the moving image. On what would have been his 60th birthday, music collective Amplified presents a special screening of Moonwalker, an anthology film made up of shorts and music videos, including ‘Man in the Mirror’ and ‘Smooth Criminal.’
SEBASTIANE + INTRO by William Fowler at BFI Southbank (29 AUG 18:10):
- Derek Jarman’s first feature was a characteristically idiosyncratic and iconoclastic affair, imagining the martyred Sebastian as a Roman soldier so devoted to his mystical beliefs that he sets himself apart from his lustful colleagues, and so becomes the object of dangerous emotions.
SYMBIOPSYCHOTAXIPLASM: TAKE ONE at ICA (29 AUG 19:00):
- Writer, director and producer William Greaves’ wildly inventive film is at once a documentary, a documentary about a documentary, and a documentary about the making of a documentary about a documentary.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A MOMENT IN THE REEDS presented by Out At Central at Picturehouse Central (29 AUG 19:00).
- BLACK PANTHER at Backyard Cinema (29 AUG 20:30).
- COLD WAR at ICA (29 AUG 20:55).
- Double Bill: THE TERMINATOR + TERMINATOR II: JUDGEMENT DAY 2 films, 1 ticket at Prince Charles (29 AUG 18:15).
- INSTANT DREAMS at Picturehouse Central (29 AUG 19:00).
- LEANING INTO THE WIND at DocHouse (29 AUG 16:00).
- MY FAIR LADY presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (29 AUG 14:00).
- SICILIAN GHOST STORY at ICA (29 AUG 13:00).
- THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN at Regent Street Cinema (29 AUG 12:00 & 15:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON ÉRIC ROHMER at Close-Up Centre (15 AUG to 03 SEP):
- PAULINE AT THE BEACH (29 AUG 19:30).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (AUG to OCT):
PINTER ON SCREEN: POWER, SEX & POLITICS at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- THE HANDMAID’S TALE 35mm (29 AUG 18:15).
REVOLT, SHE SAID: WOMEN AND FILM AFTER ’68 at Regent Street Cinema (01 to 29 AUG):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any festivals projecting in London today… which probably means we’ve missed something!
> Let us know in the comments below.
THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (29 AUG 14:00):
- This documentary confronts the dark underworld of the internet, revealing a shadow industry of ‘digital cleaning’ that controls the posts we see online. The film follows five of these digital cleaners, who are outsourced by Silicon Valley to the global headquarter for content moderation in the city of Manila in the Philippines.
ONE NOTE AT A TIME at Rio Cinema (29 AUG 16:00 & 18:30):
- In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, music can save the soul of the city, but can the musicians save themselves? The multiple award-winning feature documentary ONE NOTE AT A TIME pays homage to the musicians who courageously returned to their hometown of New Orleans after the devastation of one of the most deadly and destructive storms in American history.
YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE at Whirled Cinema (29 AUG 20:00):
- A missing teenage girl. A brutal and tormented enforcer on a rescue mission. Corrupt power and vengeance unleash a storm of violence that may lead to his awakening.
More films in London this week (A – Z): A NORTHERN SOUL at DocHouse (24 to 30 AUG). BLACKkKLANSMAN ArtHouse Crouch End (24 to 30 AUG). BOMBSHELL: THE HEDY LAMARR STORY presented by UKJF at JW3 (26 to 30 AUG). THE BREADWINNER at The Castle Cinema 924 to 30 AUG). THE CHILDREN ACT at Lexi Cinema (24 to 26 AUG). ICEMAN at Watermans (24 to 30 AUG). MCQUEEN at ICA (25 to 30 AUG). POPE FRANCIS: A MAN OF HIS WORDat Watermans (24 to 30 AUG).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.