MONDAY 16 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
DESERT HEARTS d. Donna Deitch, 1986 + Short: FROM A TO Q d. Emmalie El Fadli, 2021 presented by Unicorn Nights at The Prince Charles (16 AUG 20:45).
- “Director Donna Deitch makes a strong impression in her first feature film, a simple story of a lesbian love affair, based on Jane Rule’s 1964 novel Desert of the Heart. Helen Shaver stars as Vivian Bell, an uptight 35-year-old Columbia University professor who travels to Reno to get a divorce. She arrives in Reno on her way to Frances Parker’s (Audra Lindley) ranch, where she is staying to establish six weeks of residency in order to obtain the divorce. Once at the ranch, Vivian catches the fancy of Frances’s adopted daughter Cay (Patricia Charbonneau), a casino worker ten years younger than herself. Vivien tries to remain unruffled as Cay makes unabashed overtures to her. Cay thinks that all Vivian needs is the love of another woman, and soon enough the two are in each other’s arms.”
- ANNIHILATION d. Alex Garland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (16 AUG 15:10).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI 4K d. Joel Coen, 1998 at BFI Southbank (16 AUG 20:50).
- DESERT HEARTS d. Donna Deitch, 1986 + Short: FROM A TO Q d. Emmalie El Fadli, 2021 presented by Unicorn Nights at The Prince Charles (16 AUG 20:45).
- DVD Launch: Great Noises That Fill the Air: Music, Poetry and Performance on Film + Discussion at BFI Southbank (16 AUG 17:50).
- THE LITTLE FOXES 35MM d. William Wyler, 1941 at BFI Southbank (16 AUG 20:30).
- MINAMATA d. Andrew Levitas, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director & Johnny Depp at Regent Street Cinema (16 AUG 16:50).
- WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? d. Robert Aldrich, 1962 at BFI Southbank (16 AUG 18:00).
- WILD AT HEART d. David Lynch, 1990 at The Prince Charles (16 AUG 12:15).
- NO TICKET REQUIRED: PLEIN SOLEIL aka Purple Moon d. René Clément, 1960 online discussion of the film with Michael Brooke from Watermans (16 AUG 20:00 – Watch film in advance / Register for Zoom discussion).
- THE DOOM GENERATION d. Gregg Araki, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (16 AUG 20:00).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (from 17 AUG).
- S.O.U.L. Fest (18 to 22 AUG).
BLOW IT TO BITS aka On va tout péter d. Lech Kowalski, 2019 at ICA (13 to 19 AUG various times).
- Also (13 to 19 AUG various dates/times): THE COURIER at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinemas / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios / Watermans // I’M YOUR MAN d. Maria Schrader, 2021 at Barbican / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Riverside Studios // JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at ICA / Kino Bermondsey / The Prince Charles // MINAMATA d. Andrew Levitas, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema (+Q&A) / Regent Street Cinema // NEW ORDER d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ICA // NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI Southbank // SOLDIER’S WOMAN d. Patricia Wiesse Risso, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse // WILDLAND d. Jeanette Nordahl, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.