[UPDATED 06 MAR]: Phoenix Cinema Trust invites you to their #PhoenixRising Fundraising Weekend (15-17 MAR 2019). Your support will help keep one of the UK’s oldest & most cherished cinemas independent & alive within its local community. Here’s all you need to know.
By RADIANT CIRCUS
Saving alternative screen culture is not without controversy. When Phoenix Cinema in East Finchley got into trouble last year, negotiations with a certain cinema chain were fiercely contested by local residents and film lovers from across the UK. The campaign to keep Phoenix Cinema fully independent was born and it was a baptism by fire for all concerned.
Looking to secure that cherished independence, the Phoenix Cinema Trust now invites everyone to a #PhoenixRising Fundraising Weekend (15 to 17 MAR 2019). The event is part of a wider fundraising effort that aims to raise £20,000 from the public to help preserve the historic venue.
> Donate here: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/phoenixrising
#PhoenixRising is supported by Phoenix Patron and leading UK filmmaker Ken Loach who had this to say:
“I am delighted that the Phoenix trustees and staff have declared their intention to make every effort to keep the cinema independent. The Phoenix, one of the oldest cinemas in the country, has a unique identity that combines quality programming with education and community activities for all ages. Please help the Phoenix rise again with your donations and support – and enjoy visiting this special cinema”.
FILM QUIZ (15 MAR 20:00):
- Co-hosted by Cal McCrystal and Mark Salisbury with Phoenix Cinema trustee Laura Phillips keeping score! Tickets cost £12 per player and includes one free glass of house red/white, greens beer or juice. A maximum of four people per team. Pairs and singles most welcome and will be grouped into teams on the night – a great way to get to know your fellow Phoenix fans.
Kids Club: BIG HERO 6 d. Don Hall, Chris Williams, 2014 (16 MAR 11:00):
- Now considered a Disney classic, BIG HERO 6 delivers a tale of love, loss, friendship and adventure in the futuristic city of San Fransokyo. There will be an arts and crafts activity starting at 10:00 prior to the screening.
COLDPLAY: A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS d. Mat Whitecross, 2018 + Q&A with the director (16 MAR 20:00):
- A long-term Coldplay collaborator, Mat Whitecross’s film blends live performances with exclusive band interviews and a huge array of previously-unseen archive footage to produce the definitive story of one of the world’s biggest bands. Interviewing him will be author and former editor of Empire Magazine, Mark Salisbury.
PHOENIX TOURS (16 MAR 13:00 & 17 MAR 11:00):
- [UPDATE 06 MAR]: Currently looking SOLD OUT! Stay tuned…
HISTORY OF THE PHOENIX: ILLUSTRATED TALK by Gerry Turvey (17 MAR 12:00):
- Head to the historic auditorium of the Phoenix for an illustrated talk on the cinema’s rich film heritage by historian, author and Phoenix expert, Gerry Turvey. Suggested £3 donation on the door.
INSIDE NO. 9 + Q&A with Reece Shearsmith & Steve Pemberton (17 MAR 20:00):
- Currently looking SOLD OUT!
Get tweeting your support: @Phoenixcinema #PhoenixRising.
Of course, another simple way of sheltering from the storm of cinema closures is turning up and buying tickets – week in, week out. RADIANT CIRCUS regularly lists Phoenix’s silent screenings, guest curator programmes and meet the talent Q&As, as well as their grind show runs of indie docs and features.
Next in our sights is the closing film of the #WELOVEGILDA season curated by long-standing friend of RADIANT CIRCUS, The Celluloid Sorceress. Book now for HAUNTED HONEYMOON 35mm d. Gene Wilder, 1986 + INTRO from the Sorceress herself, Rebecca Nicole Williams (24 FEB 14:00).
And that’s the meat of it…
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.