UNDERWIRE FESTIVAL arrives for its 8th edition (22 to 26 NOV 2017) which is a fine reason to get booking. Here’s our handy SCREEN GUIDE.
NOW SHOWING: UNDERWIRE FESTIVAL 2017
Dedicated to “celebrating the raw cinematic talents of women”, Underwire is the UK’s only film festival that focuses on the breadth of screen crafts. Whilst much of the rest of the film world focuses on directors, women are also featured here for their outstanding work as animators, cinematographers, composers, sound designers, editors, production designers and screen writers. Which gives rise to a brilliantly eclectic programme.
Anna Bogutskaya, Festival Director, said of the talent in this year’s lineup:
“No one can ever say again that there’s not women working across the whole spectrum of film. They’re here. They’re awesome. Hire them. We’re pointing you in the right direction.”
BIG TOP ATTRACTIONS
- The festival starts with a pre-conference WIRED WOMEN (18 to 19 NOV, 10:00 to 17:00 each day) looking at the craft and business of filmmaking. Weekend passes, day tickets and concessions still available at time of posting (17 NOV).
- The festival specialises in short film and there are many excellent programmes. We (really) like the look of: DON’T LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN (22 NOV 18:10, BFI); TENTACLES ARE INCLUDED: THE SHORT FILMS OF KATE HERRON + Q&A with Kate Herron (23 NOV 20:40, BFI); MEN BY WOMEN (23 NOV 18:30, Barbican); SHATTERBOX SHORTS (23 NOV 18:45, Curzon Soho); SCIENCE FICTION DOUBLE FEATURE (23 NOV 21:00, Prince Charles); PERIOD PIECES (23 NOV 21:00, The Castle Cinema); WALKING HOME ALONE AT NIGHT (24 NOV 20:45, Prince Charles); and AGE OF CONSENT (25 NOV 16:00, Barbican).
- Feature films in this year’s festival include: LOST IN VAGUENESS + PERFORMANCE + Q&A (23 NOV 18:45, Curzon Aldgate), Sofia Olins’ doc about the legendary Glastonbury after party; roller derby movie REVOLUTIONS (25 NOV 18:00, Curzon Aldgate); and, a 20th anniversary 35mm screening of Sally Potter’s THE TANGO LESSON + INTRO by Sophie Mayer (26 NOV, Barbican), “a film of electrifying passion”.
- FEMINIST FILM QUIZ (23 NOV 19:00, Ninetey-One) will test your knowledge of female film history.
- The UNDERWIRE AWARDS take place on 25 NOV 20:00 at NINETY-ONE and are sold out at the time of posting (17 NOV).
- THE TANGO LESSON screens at Underwire Festival (26 NOV).
If we could only see just one, it would be:
- THE BOOK OF BIRDIE + Q&A (24 NOV 18:45, Curzon Aldgate), fresh from the Sitges Film Festival, co-writer/director Elizabeth E. Schuch, costume designer/co-writer Anami Tara Shucart and cinematographer/VFX producer Konstantinos Koutsoliotas will talk about their “haunting and lyrical” film.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
- Head to Underwire Festival for all the details of this year’s event.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any mistakes. Updates & corrections to the online version. All readers & subscribers should be 18+. We only include events you can get tickets for at the time of posting. Please click quickly!
Featured image: THE BOOK OF BIRDIE (2017).