Looking for great Halloween movie nights & film events in London? We’ve done all the hunting so you don’t have to. Here’s our comprehensive SCREAM GUIDE 2018!
Halloween 2018 is spawning scream events across the capital. RADIANT CIRCUS loves a good celluloid scare and so we’ve put together the most comprehensive guide to London’s movie nights and film events. Everything is listed by VENUE // DATE // TIME to help navigate your way through the Hedge Maze.
> Let us know what you’ll be watching in the comments below.
THE CRAFT presented by Forever Young Film Club (31 OCT 20:00):
- Get there early for tarot card readings, a temporary tattoo booth and some spooky surprises!
ARTHOUSE CROUCH END
POSSUM + Q&A with director Matthew Holness (27 OCT 18:00):
- Together with Possum, a hideous hand-puppet, disgraced puppeteer Philip returns to his childhood home. Staying with his cruel stepfather, Maurice, Philip soon discovers that ridding himself of Possum is no easy task. A truly creepy British horror from the visionary mind behind GARTH MERENGHI’S DARKPLACE.
- POSSUM enjoys a grind show run at the same venue (26 OCT to 01 NOV).
THE FOG (1980) (31 OCT 20:45).
THE LOVE WITCH + FREE DRINKS presented by Zodiac Film Club (31 OCT 19:00).
NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE aka Noseferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979) (26 OCT 18:40).
THE EVIL DEAD (1981) (31 OCT 21:00 – joint ticket available with SHAUN OF THE DEAD).
SHAUN OF THE DEAD + Q&A with writer/director Edgar Wright (31 OCT 18:15 – joint ticket available with THE EVIL DEAD).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- Incorporating fantasy, horror and science fiction, the French fantastique genre has a weird and wonderful tradition of its own. Includes: MALPERTUIS 35mm (26 OCT 18:05); LA NUIT FANTASTIQUE 35mm (27 OCT 13:30 / 29 OCT 20:40); LA MAIN DU DIABLE 35mm (27 OCT 16:00); LES VISITEURS DU SOIR 35mm (28 OCT 17:30); and, THE PHANTOM BARON aka Le Baron Fantôme 35mm (28 OCT 13:00).
- ORPHÉE enjoys a grind show run (until 01 NOV).
THE CASTLE CINEMA
MANDY enjoys a grind show run (26 to 29 OCT).
HALLOWEEN (1978) + RECORDED Q&A (30 OCT 19:00).
DEMON SEED (30 OCT 21:00):
- Science Fiction Theatre presents: Child psychologist Susan Harris (Julie Christie) lives with her husband, Alan (Fritz Weaver), in a home operated by a computer program. When Alan invents Proteus IV, an artificial intelligence system capable of advanced thought, his obsession with technology strains their relationship. But Susan sees the true power of her husband’s invention when Proteus IV takes her hostage in her own home and reveals its ultimate desire: a child of its own, conceived in her womb and destined for domination…
- Original format specialist Ciné-Real 16mm presents:
- THE HILLS HAVE EYES (1977): On the way to California, the Carter family’s car breaks down and they become stranded in the Nevada Desert in an area closed to the public. They are attacked by a group of violent savages and are forced to fight for their lives…
- THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974): En route to visit their grandfather’s grave in Texas, five teenagers drive past a slaughterhouse and pick up (and quickly drop) a sinister hitch-hiker, before ending up at the old family home…
CATFORD FILM at CATFORD CONSTITUTIONAL CLUB
CREEPY (28 OCT 19:00).
Sick Monday: SOCIETY (29 OCT 20:15):
- Sick Monday presents: Six newly commissioned short video works followed by Brian Yuzna’s cult classic SOCIETY. Featuring new works by Anita Delaney, Anne Kathrine Bindesbøll & Ava Fersi, Dave Burrows, Noor Afshan Mirza & Brad Butler, Birgit Ludwig, and Vanessa Scully, this series celebrates the “video nasty” horror genre, its influence on contemporary video artists, and its overlooked critical capacity to express social truths in an exuberant style.
VAMPIR CUADECUC (31 OCT 20:15):
- Made in Spain during General Franco’s rule, Pere Portabella’s extraordinary VAMPIR CUADECUC was filmed on the set of Jess Franco’s shocker EL CONDE DRACULA. Filmed in stark, heavily grained black and white, this atmospheric and experimental “making of” documentary transforms the myth of the vampire into a powerful metaphor for bloodthirsty fascism
THE DAVID LEAN CINEMA
POSSUM (31 OCT 19:30).
THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (1972) (27 OCT 19:30).
CLIMAX (31 OCT 16:00).
VIDEODROME at Deptford Cinema (31 OCT 19:00).
CARRIE (1976) (31 OCT 21:00).
FRANKENSTEIN FOREVER (02 to 30 NOV):
- A celebration of the cinematic legacy of Mary Shelley’s novel. Starts with: THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (02 NOV 19:00); and, FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND (09 NOV 19:00).
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR at Everyman Screen On The Green (27 OCT 23:30).
THE EVIL DEAD (1981) at Everyman Canary Wharf (31 OCT 21:00).
SCREAM at Everyman Baker Street (31 OCT 21:00 – Other Everymans available!).
THE FIVE BELLS
HEREDITARY presented by Deeper Into Movies (30 OCT 19:30).
THE CRAFT + LIVE MUSIC by Candy Cane (26 OCT 19:45 – Free! / Booking recommended):
- Music & Movies presents: Candy Cane is a three piece spooky synth post punk band from East London. The trio met in a haunted cinema and formed Candy Cane to ward off the evil forces that lurk there.
Slime Double Bill (27 OCT 20:00 – Free!).
BEETLEJUICE – 30TH Anniversary Restoration (28 OCT 20:30).
THE LOST BOYS 35mm + INTRO by The Celluloid Sorceress (30 OCT 21:00):
- The Celluloid Sorceress brings her retrospective of director Joel Schumacher back to the Genesis for a special 35mm Halloween screening of classic 80s horror THE LOST BOYS (with added Vintage 35mm trailers).
HALLOWEEN (1978) + SALON by Nick Walker (31 OCT 18:50):
- The monthly Cult Classic Collective screening with Nick Walker of Rochester Kino returns for a Halloween special screening of John Carpenter’s one and only HALLOWEEN! The screening will be introduced by Nick and will be followed by a salon discussion upstairs at the bar to discuss this great film with fellow fans and first-timers!
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925) – RESCORED LIVE by Grok (31 OCT 21:00 – Free!).
EVE’S BAYOU + INTRO by Kelli Weston at Genesis Cinema (01 NOV 18:30):
- Reel Good Film Club present: Over the course of a long, hot Louisiana summer, a 10-year-old black girl, Eve Batiste, discovers that her family’s affluent existence is merely a facade. The philandering of her suave doctor father, Louis, creates a rift, throwing Eve’s mother, Roz, and teenage sister, Cisely, into emotional turmoil.
POSSUM presented by Big Picture Film Club (01 NOV 21:00).
THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD presented by Dominon Of Scum (30 OCT 20:00 – Free!).
HITHER GREEN CINEMA at ST SWITHUNS
THE BOOK OF LIFE (27 OCT 14:00).
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (27 OCT 19:30).
THE HORSE HOSPITAL
NOVA NIGHTS: EPISODE #14 (29 OCT 19:00):
- Billy Chainsaw presents: World premiere of Emma Dark’s short film PURGATORIC + award winning filmmaker Geoff Harmer’s short films followed by an interview with Billy Chainsaw & audience Q&A.
HOUSE OF VANS
HALLOWEEN (1978) (28 OCT 13:00 & 15:30 – Free! / No booking required).
LSO ST. LUKE’S
THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI + LIVE SCORE by The Cabinet of Living Cinema (26 OCT 19:30):
- Nomad Cinema presents: At a local carnival in a small German Town, hypnotist Dr. Caligari presents the somnambulist Cesare, who can purportedly predict the future of curious fairgoers. But at night, the doctor wakes Cesare from his sleep to enact his evil bidding…
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: 50th Anniversary Restoration (31 OCT 20:30).
SUSPIRIA (2018) at Picturehouse Central (31 OCT 18:10 Other Picturehouses available!).
THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW at The Gate (31 OCT 20:45 – Other Picturehouses available!).
SUSPIRIA (1977) at Picturehouse Central (31 OCT 21:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
THE PRINCE CHARLES CINEMA
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- A month of screams, chills, blood and guts! Includes: HALLOWEEN (1978) (until to 01 NOV); MANDY (until 08 NOV); SUSPIRIA (1977) (until 28 OCT); PSYCHO 35mm (27 OCT 18:30); SALEM’S LOT 112-Minute Theatrical Cut (28 OCT 15:30); THE EXORCIST Director’s Cut 35mm + SKYPE Q&A with director William Friedkin (28 OCT 18:05); THE GATE (29 OCT 18:35); THE SHINING Extended Version 35mm (29 OCT 20:45); THE LOST BOYS (30 OCT 18:25); LET THE RIGHT ONE IN aka Låt den rätte komma in (30 OCT 20:45); THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 35mm (31 OCT 18:45); and, THE EVIL DEAD (31 OCT 20:45 – Sold Out!).
- TEEN HORROR PYJAMA PARTY 6 Films, 1 Ticket (26 OCT 20:45 – Sold Out!).
- DARIO ARGENTO ALL-NIGHTER 5 films, 1 ticket (26 OCT 23:45).
- CLASSIC HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (27 OCT 21:00).
- MODERN HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (27 OCT 21:15).
REGENT STREET CINEMA
TO HELL AND BACK presented by Shorts on Tap (30 OCT 19:30):
- As well as a selection of horror shorts, there will be Q&As with filmmakers, live performances and a free prosthetic make-up session! Oh, and it’s fancy dress.
BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE (31 OCT 12:00 & 15:30):
- A modern-day witch likes her neighbor but despises his fiancée, so she enchants him to love her instead, only to fall in love with him for real.
DER GOLEM + LIVE SCORE by HarmonieBand (30 OCT 19:30):
- A restored silent-movie masterpiece gets a stunning new live soundtrack by specialists HarmonieBand: “An enduring example of German Expressionist horror” – Film 4.
THE FOG (1980) (31 OCT 21:00).
RICHMOND FILM SOCIETY at THE EXCHANGE
A GHOST STORY The Exchange (30 OCT 20:00).
SUPAKINO’s Mondo Horror Movie Show (28 OCT 13:00):
- SUPAKINO presents a special Bombay Mix screening for Halloween. Expect a strange potion of ghostly musical oddities from USA, UK, India & Pakistan with a special focus on the 60s beach-party haunted-house sub-genre. Ranjit from SUPAKINO will be chatting with guests in between the clips. Groooooovy!
THE SHINING presented by Crofton Park Pictures (26 OCT 20:30).
SCREEN25 at HARRIS ACADEMY SOUTH NORWOOD
A QUIET PLACE + SHORT: MANNEQUINS (26 OCT 19:45 / 31 OCT 19:45).
Halloween Special – Sitges Film Festival presented by CinemaAttic London (02 NOV 19:30):
- The Sitges Film Festival (Festival Internacional de Cinema Fantàstic de Catalunya) is a Catalan film festival and one of the world’s foremost international festivals specializing in fantasy and horror films.
MY FRIEND DAHMER (28 OCT 18:00).
BLACK SUNDAY FILM FESTIVAL (10 NOV 13:00).
WILD CARD BREWERY
A QUIET PLACE presented by Stow Film Lounge (01 NOV 20:00).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office for all films in London this week before posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.
Featured image: THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974).