SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 01.04.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
THE KEEPER d. Marcus H. Rosenmüller, 2018 + Q&A with the director & actor John Henshaw at Curzon Mayfair (01 APR 18:10):
- “Known for winning the FA Cup Final while playing with broken neck, this biopic of Bert Trautmann fills in even more incredible details about the man’s life.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Following a recent screening at ArtHouse Crouch End, we chatted with ABOUT A WAR (2018) co-directors Daniele Rugo & Abi Weaver about their film, its origins & its future in the UK & Lebanon.
- LIVES UNWRITTEN season continues with Ousmane Sembène’s BLACK GIRL + TALK by Miranda Armstrong at The Geffrye Museum (06 APR). RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers get a 15% discount.
- The Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR) continues this week and is an essential element of London’s indie film calendar.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 + Satellite Q&A with the director at Ciné Lumière (01 APR 18:20 – Other venues available!):
- In this Oscar-nominated biopic, Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) offers a stunning portrayal of Vincent van Gogh in his last years, capturing every bit of the artist’s complexity from the pictorial and inventive genius to the tortured man.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Moving Pictures (01 APR 15:00).
- FLETCH 35mm d. Michael Ritchie, 1985 at The Prince Charles (01 APR 18:25).
- FLETCH LIVES 35mm d. Michael Ritchie, 1985 at The Prince Charles (01 APR 20:45).
- THE GRUMP aka Mielensäpahoittaja d. Dome Karukoski, 2014 part of Nordic Film Nights at Deptford Cinema (01 APR 19:30).
- INTO THE WILD d. Sean Penn, 2007 at BFI (01 APR 20:10).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan, Samuel Smith, 2018 at The Prince Charles (01 APR 16:25).
- RAY & LIZ d. Ray Billingham, 2018 at JW3 (01 APR 13:00 & 15:30).
- TWIN PEAKS LECTURE by Dr Lindsay Hallam presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (01 APR 19:00).
- THE WOODMANS + WHAT REMAINS presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (01 APR 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (APR):
- ORDET d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1955 (01 APR 18:10).
- RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1951 (01 APR 18:20).
- THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY d. Albert Lewin, 1945 (01 APR 20:30).
BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET at BFI Southbank (APR):
- A SELF-INDUCED HALLUCINATION d. Dan Schoenbrun, 2018 (01 APR 18:15).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- IVAN’S CHILDHOOD d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1962 (01 APR 20:30).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season continues at Birkbeck Cinema, Goethe-Institut & ICA (MAR to JUN):
- FILM EMIGRATION FROM NAZI GERMANY d. Günter Peter Straschek, 1975: PARTS ONE – THREE + DISCUSSION (01 APR 11:00, Birkbeck Cinema – FREE!) & PARTS FOUR & FIVE (01 APR 19:00, Goethe-Institut – FREE!/Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- “Inspired by Kubrick”: WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN 35mm d. Lynne Ramsay, 2011 (01 APR 20:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (27 MAR to 07 APR)
BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY d. Steve Sullivan, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 APR 21:00):
- “’80s and ’90s Manchester music fixture Frank Sidebottom hid a creative giant who was both defined and smothered by that whopping papier-mâché head. BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY unmasks him.”
LORDS OF CHAOS d. Jonas Åkerlund, 2018 at The Prince Charles (01 APR 13:30):
- “Oslo, 1987: Seventeen-year-old Euronymous (Rory Culkin) is determined to escape his idyllic Scandinavian hometown and create “true Norwegian black metal” with his band, MAYHEM.”
OUT OF BLUE d. Carol Morley , 2018 at Barbican (01 APR 15:30 & 20:45):
- “Director Carol Morley’s (DREAMS OF A LIFE, THE FALLING) latest film is a stylish, cosmic murder mystery, in which a police officer must discover who killed a young astrophysicist.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 FACES at Ciné Lumière (30 MAR to 27 APR). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE d. Catherine Corsini, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (01 to 07 APR). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Rio Cinema (29 MAR to 04 APR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huer, 2018 at DocHouse (until 03 APR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). EVERYBODY KNOWS d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at Watermans (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). HUMOR ME d. Sam Hoffman, 2017 presented by UKJF at JW3 (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE IMAGE YOU MISSED d. Dónal Foreman, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). THE PANAMA PAPERS d. Alex Winters, 2018 at DocHouse (29 MAR to 04 APR). SHARKWATER: EXTINCTION d. Rob Stewart, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 04 APR). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 04 APR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 MAR to 04 APR).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Follow us: Twitter @radiantcircus | Instagram @radiantcircus
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.