SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 01.08.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
JAMES BALDWIN: THE PRICE OF THE TICKET d. Karen Thorsen, 1985 + Q&A at Peckhamplex (01 AUG 20:30):
- “To celebrate the would-be 95th Birthday of James Baldwin, The Batty Mama are teaming up with BlackOutUK & Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest to host this screening to honour the life and legacy of Baldwin. Without using narration, the film allows Baldwin to tell his own story: exploring what it means to be born black, impoverished, gay and gifted – in a world that has yet to understand that “all men are brothers.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We caught up with the closing event in Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest’s QUEER SQUEE, a celebration of film & TV fandom. Read our writeup of JUDY JUDY JUDY at The Cinema Museum (27 JUL 2019).
London’s favourite, Genesis Cinema (results of the recent Time Out 25 Best Cinemas where they polled first!) celebrates two modern auteurs with mini seasons wrapped around their latest releases: Tarantino x Almodóvar (AUG 2019).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 + Q&A with the director & writer Sarfraz Manzoor at Picturehouse Central (01 AUG 18:45 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!):
- “In 1987 during the austere days of Thatcher’s Britain, a teenager learns to live life, understand his family and find his own voice through the music of Bruce Springsteen.”
THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Bloomsbury (01 AUG 18:15 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!):
- “A young, quietly ambitious film student (Honor Swinton Byrne) embarks on her first serious love affair with a charismatic and mysterious man (Tom Burke). She tries to disentangle fact from fiction as she surrenders to the relationship, which comes dangerously close to destroying her dreams.”
THIRTEEN d. Catherine Hardwicke, 2003 + Panel Discussion at Genesis Cinema (01 AUG 18:30):
- DISPATCH FMI presents: “An electric, unsettling glimpse into the transition from childhood to adolescence. Tracy (Evan Rachel-Wood) meets Evie (Nikki Reed) at cosmically the wrong time in her life. Tracy’s frustration with her Mother’s (Holly Hunter) lack of money and choice of boyfriend converges with Tracy’s exposure to drugs, theft and sexual awakening by Evie; the manipulative popular girl she so desperately wants to impress.” Part of Constructing Teen Identity On-Screen.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (01 AUG 19:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- ARE YOU PROUD? d. Ashley Joiner, 2019 at Picturehouse Crouch End (01 AUG 20:35).
- ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 presented by UKJF at Phoenix Cinema (01 AUG 20:30).
- BALANCE, NOT SYMMETRY d. Jamie Adams, 2019 + Biffy Clyro Recorded Set at Genesis Cinema (01 AUG 21:00).
- GWEN d. William McGregor, 2018 at The Prince Charles (01 AUG 13:10).
- THE HAPPY PRINCE d. Rupert Everett, 2018 presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Dugdale Centre (01 AUG 19:45).
- IBIZA: THE SILENT MOVIE d. Julien Temple, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (01 AUG 20:00).
- IN FABRIC d. Peter Strickland, 2019 at Curzon Richmond (01 AUG 18:15 – Other Curzons available!).
- IN FABRIC d. Peter Strickland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (01 AUG 15:20).
- JAWS d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 at Regent Street Cinema (01 AUG 19:30).
- Pan African Cinema – the Horn and its Diaspora: An exploration of Somali life on screen short films & discussion at The Yellow (01 AUG 18:30).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (01 AUG 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- WOMAN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 at The David Lean (01 AUG 14:30 HOH & 19:30)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN SING-A-LONG (01 AUG 16:30).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY SING-A-LONG (01 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- EYES WITHOUT A FACE d. Georges Franju, 1959 (01 AUG 20:45).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- BLONDE VENUS d. Josef von Sternberg, 1932 (01 AUG 18:10).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 (01 AUG 18:20).
HEAT OF THE MOMENT: TURNING POINTS ON FILM at Barbican Centre (01 to 29 AUG):
- DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 19889 + Live Poetry in partnership with We Are Parable (01 AUG 19:00).
KOREAN FILM NIGHTS: LOVE WITHOUT BOUNDARIES at Korean Cultural Centre (JUL to AUG):
- WANEE & JUNAH d. Kim Yong Gyun, 2011 (01 AUG 19:00).
KUBRICK: Back By Popular Demand… at BFI IMAX & Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (01 AUG 20:30).
MOVIES ON THE RIVER departing from Tower Millennium Pier (until 03 AUG):
- TOP GUN (01 AUG 20:00).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- TV Gamechanger: THIS LIFE Panel Discussion (01 AUG 18:15).
NOIRS at House Of Vans (07 JUL to 03 AUG):
- SIN CITY (01 AUG 17:00 & 19:15).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 (01 AUG 18:10).
- PULP FICTION d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 (01 AUG 20:30).
- NIGHTCRAWLER (01 AUG 20:50).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- DO THE RIGHT THING (01 AUG 20:30 – Peckham).
- MOULIN ROUGE! (01 AUG 20:30 – Stratford).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Kenji Mizoguchi’s Great Triptych – THE LIFE OF OHARU d. Kenji Mizoguchi, 1952 (01 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (01 AUG 18:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any festivals in London today, but we’ve been wrong before… lets us know!
THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (01 AUG 21:20):
- “Set in a luxury high-rise hotel in Mexico City, Lila Avilés’ quietly compelling debut follows the routinised existence of Eve, an enterprising young hotel worker. With nuanced direction and a spare script bolstered by Gabriela Cartol’s breakthrough performance, THE CHAMBERMAID offers wry observations about class, privilege and exploitation as it sensitively depicts Eve’s day to day life.”
MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 AUG 15:15 & 21:15):
- “A beautiful yet tragic love story between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen. Their love began on the idyllic Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of foreign artists, writers and musicians. The film follows their relationship from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of ‘free love’ and open marriage, to how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musician.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 01 AUG). ARE YOU PROUD? d. Ashley Joiner, 2019 at Picturehouse Hackney (26 JUL to 01 AUG). ARMSTRONG d. David Fairhead, 2019 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). THE CURRENT WAR d. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2017 at Phoenix Cinema (26 JUL to 01 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 31 JUL). HIGH LIFEd. Claire Denis, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (29 JUL to 04 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 31 JUL). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 01 AUG). ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at Watermans (26 JUL to 01 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 30 JUL). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). TEL AVIV ON FIRE d. Sameh Zoabi, 2018 at JW3 (until 28 JUL). VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (27 JUL to 01 AUG – UK Premiere 27 JUL listed above).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.