RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: World AIDS Day at 30 at BFI Southbank (01 DEC 13:40): BFI Flare supports World AIDS Day with a special event featuring rarely-seen archive extracts and an open discussion. #ROCKTHERIBBON
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
In the first of a new series of guest articles at RADIANT CIRCUS, Manila-based film writer & critic Richard Bolisay introduces John Torres’ debut feature TODO TODO TEROS (2006), Filikino’s next screening at Genesis Cinema (05 DEC 18:15).
In our continuing series with Close-Up Film Centre, RADIANT CIRCUS chats to curator Andrew Gutman about UP NORTH & UNDERGROUND, a programme of under-screened classics of the Canadian underground film scene (03 to 04 DEC).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BOX OF DELIGHTS + INTRO by Renny Rye at Picturehouse Central (01 DEC 13:00):
- Open THE BOX OF DELIGHTS and take a wondrous step back in time to Christmas 1984 with Kay Harker, the Punch & Judy Man, Herne the Hunter, Mouse, and co. for a vintage television marathon of the complete six-episode BBC children’s series. Splendiferous!
Jóhann Jóhannsson: LAST AND FIRST MEN + LIVE SCORE by the London Symphony Orchestra at Barbican (01 DEC 20:00):
- Based on the cult science fiction novel by Olaf Stapledon, music, film and narration form a poetic meditation on memory and loss in a performance of Jóhann Jóhannsson’s breathtaking multimedia work.
The Live Ghost Tent – quarterly meeting of The Laurel and Hardy Societyat The Cinema Museum (01 DEC 15:00):
- The December programme is based on members’ requests: BIG BUSINESS (1929 – sound version), short directed by James W. Horne and Leo McCarey; THEM THAR HILLS (1934), short directed by Charley Rogers; TIT FOR TAT (1935), short directed by Charley Rogers; THE MIDNIGHT PATROL (1933), short directed by Lloyd French; and BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935), directed by James W. Horne.
Open Forms – The Films of Dane Komljen + INTRO by Dane Komljen & Kieron Corless at ICA (01 DEC 14:30):
- This retrospective presents six works by Berlin-based director Dane Komljen. His films employ innovative approaches to cinema exploring hybridisation and deliberately open forms. Komljen’s cinema lingers between dreams and memories, creating a fluid space that moves freely between imaginaries and realities.
World AIDS Day at 30 at BFI Southbank (01 DEC 13:40):
- BFI Flare supports World AIDS Day with a special event featuring rarely-seen archive extracts and an open discussion. Confirmed speakers include Ash Kotak (AIDS Memory UK campaign), Dr Hannah J. Elizabeth (cultural historian based at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine) & Jeffrey Hinton (DJ, filmmaker and archivist). #ROCKTHERIBBON
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Christian Marclay: THE CLOCK 24hr Screening at Tate Modern (01 to 02 DEC).
- DEAD SOULS Part 1 at ICA (01 DEC 12:20).
- THE JUDGE at DocHouse (01 DEC 14:40).
- THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH at Picturehouse Central (01 DEC 14:45).
- NAE PASARAN! at The Green, Nunhead (01 DEC 18:30 – Free! but please bring a food donation for Southwark Foodbank #FilmsforFood).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Barbican (01 DEC 16:35).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Ciné Lumière (01 DEC 18:00).
- THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD at The Castle Cinema (01 DEC 15:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (30 NOV to 27 DEC):
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL (01 DEC 13:30).
- ELF Quote-A-Long (01 DEC 15:40).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL Sing-A-Long (01 DEC 16:10 & 18:35).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (01 DEC 18:20).
CLOSE-UP ON INGMAR BERGMAN at Close-Up (02 NOV to 30 DEC):
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- DISOBEDIENCE (01 DEC 15:50, 18:15 & 20:45).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- THE APARTMENT + INTRO by Jonathan Wakeham (01 DEC 14:00).
- ATOLL K + DISCUSSION Blu-ray launch (01 DEC 15:45).
- 9 TO 5 (01 DEC 18:00).
- MONTY PYTHON’S LIFE OF BRIAN (01 DEC 20:50).
- #RIPVine tribute to the 6-second film clips (01 DEC 18:30).
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- TOUT VA BIEN + LETTER TO JANE: AN INVESTIGATION ABOUT A STILL (01 DEC 16:45).
Limina VR Weekender at Picturehouse Central (01 to 02 DEC):
- BEGIN AGAIN (01 & 02 DEC various).
- FUTURE & FANTASY (01 & 02 DEC various).
- THE WILD (01 & 02 DEC various).
- UNCOVERED WORLDS (01 & 02 DEC various).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- ArteKino Festival (01 to 31 DEC – various venues & online).
- Deptford Film Festival – Horror Shorts + PREVENGE (01 DEC).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London International Animation Festival (30 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Migration Film Festival (29 NOV to 05 DEC).
- Russian Film Week (25 NOV to 02 DEC).
THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at Phoenix Cinema (01 DEC 13:40 & 18:15):
- The astonishing story of three men who make the chance discovery, at the age of 19, that they are identical triplets, separated at birth and adopted to different parents. The trio’s joyous reunion in 1980 catapults them to fame but it also sets in motion a chain of events that unearths an extraordinary and disturbing secret.
WARU at Rio Cinema (01 DEC 18:30):
- A groundbreaking production from eight female Māori filmmakers, WARU is the story of a small New Zealand town coming to terms with a bitter tragedy – the death of a small boy, Waru, at the hands of his carer.
THE WILD PEAR TREE at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 DEC 12:45 & 19:30):
- Turkish master Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s latest feature is ingrained with literary references that touch on existential and philosophical questions, such as the place of religion in our lives, while also rendering a sensitive and distinctive portrait of young people in contemporary Turkey.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- CLIMAX at ICA (30 NOV to 05 DEC). COLD WAR at ICA (30 NOV to 06 DEC). DISOBEDIENCE at JW3 (30 NOV to 13 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (until 06 DEC). POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (until 06 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at ICA (until 06 DEC). RAMS at Barbican (until 06 DEC). SO HELP ME GOD at DocHouse (30 NOV to 06 DEC). THE RIDER at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 DEC). SHOPLIFTERS at Ciné Lumière (until 03 JAN). WIDOWS at The Castle Cinema (30 NOV to 04 DEC). THE WORKSHOP at Watermans (30 NOV to 05 DEC).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.