SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 02.03.20
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
SULPHUR & WHITE d. Julian Jarrold, 2020 + Q&A with David Tait & screenwriter Susie Farrell at Genesis Cinema (02 MAR 18:20):
- “City of London, trading floor, 2008, in a world of cutthroat deals it takes a unique person to succeed. Single-minded to the point of ruthless, David is this person. But beyond the aura of success lies a secret. There are layers to David… once chipped away, what lies behind the facade?”
> MORE Get the RADIANT CIRCUS view of this week’s unmissable events.
Keep RADIANT CIRCUS listing far into the future by taking out a low cost monthly subscription at Patreon: get great rewards & help us continue to build & grow. THANK YOU!
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
Read our epic MARCH roundup of all London’s repertory seasons & festivals.
Read our guide to this year’s BFI Flare LGBTIQ+ Film Festival (18 to 29 MAR).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Animation: The Write Stuff Panel Discussion at BFI (02 MAR 18:30).
- THE CROW d. Alex Proyas, 1994 presented by Monday Movie at Hand Of Glory (02 MAR 20:00).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at DocHouse (02 MAR 18:20).
- I LOSSENS TIME aka The Hour Of The Lynx part of Nordic Film Nights at Deptford Cinema (02 MAR 19:30).
- MIDNIGHT TRAVELER d. Hassan Fazili, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (02 MAR 18:30 & 20:30).
- MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (02 MAR 20:40).
- ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Exhibit B (02 MAR 18:30).
- THE TWO POPES d. Fernando Meirelles, 2019 at The Lexi (02 MAR 15:00 & 20:50)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
1999 – 2019: EXPLORING 20 YEARS OF SCI-FI at The Prince Charles (2020):
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 (28 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue to details).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- THE SHINING 4K d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (02 MAR 20:20).
THE CINEMA OF JESSICA HAUSNER at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- New Releases: LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 (21 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue for details).
CLOSE UP: CÉLINE SCIAMMA at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- Close Up Salon: Céline Sciamma Panel Discussion (02 MAR 18:15).
- WATER LILIES 35mm aka Naissance des Pieuvres d. Céline Sciamma, 2007 (02 MAR 20:40).
JOIN THE #BONGHIVE at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- MEMORIES OF MURDER aka Salinui chueok d. Bong Joon-ho, 2003 (02 MAR 18:00).
RIGHTS AT RISK: YESTERDAY / TOMORROW at DocHouse (06 FEB to 01 MAR):
- PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 (28 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue for details).
TILDA SWINTON at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- ORLANDO d. Sally Potter, 1992 + Intro by the director & Tilda Swinton (02 MAR 18:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today. What have we missed…? Let us know in the comments below.
COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 at The Prince Charles (02 MAR 15:30 & 20:45):
- “A cosmic nightmare from the minds of H.P. Lovecraft and cult director, Richard Stanley, COLOR OUT OF SPACE follows Nathan Gardner (Nicolas Cage), Theresa Gardner (Joely Richardson) and their three children, (Madeleine Arthur, Brenden Meyer and Julian Hilliard), whose recent retreat to rural life quickly crumbles when a meteorite crashes into their front yard.”
DARK WATERS d. Todd Haynes, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (02 MAR 15:30 & 18:00):
- “A tenacious attorney uncovers a dark secret that connects a growing number of unexplained deaths due to one of the world’s largest corporations. In the process, he risks everything – his future, his family, and his own life – to expose the truth.”
THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MY MOTHER d. Beniamino Barrese, 2019 at ICA (02 MAR – Not screening today/Back tomorrow):
- “As an iconic fashion model during the 1960s, Benedetta Barzini was a muse to Warhol, Dali, Penn and Avedon. As a radical feminist in the 1970s, she fought for the rights and emancipation of women. But at the age of 75, Benedetta has become exhausted with the various roles that life has imposed upon her and decides escape the world of images and disappear for good.”
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (02 MAR 12:30, 15:00, 18:00 & 20:30):
- “Set in late 18th century France, painter Marianne (Noémie Merlant) is commissioned by an affluent countess to paint the wedding portrait of her sheltered but headstrong daughter Héloïse (Adèle Haenel), in the hope it will find her a wealthy husband. While posing as her hired companion, Marianne is instructed to complete the portrait in secret, observing Héloïse by day and painting her by night. However, as the two women grow closer, their intimacy and attraction begins to blossom, paving the way for a simmering, star-crossed romance.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at Catford Mews (until 05 MAR). FIRST LOVE aka Hatsukoi d. Takashi Miike, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 05 MAR). THE GOOD LIAR d. Bill Condon, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (02 to 08 MAR). JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 05 MAR). THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at The Prince Charles (28 FEB to 05 MAR). LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 at Catford Mews (28 FEB to 05 MAR). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 05 MAR). PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 at Rio Cinema (29 FEB to 05 MAR). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 04 MAR). THE RHYTHM SECTION d. Reed Morano, 2020 at Watermans (28 FEB to 05 MAR). TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG d. Justin Kurzel, 2019 at Rich Mix (28 FEB to 05 MAR). WAITING FOR ANYA d. Ben Cookson, 2019 presented by UKJF at JW3 (01 to 05 MAR).
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward a team of new contributors. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.