RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Beyond The Body: THE GOLD DIGGERS d. Sally Potter, 1983 at The Horse Hospital (02 APR 19:00):
- Orlando presents: “The film was co-written by Potter and the artist Rose English, who is the current subject of a solo show at London’s Richard Saltoun Gallery. This screening marks the final event in an ongoing series of happenings, which have been loosely related to the current print issue of Orlando (Beyond the Body), with all ticket sales going towards raising funds for the future of the magazine.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- We’ve posted our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for APRIL.
- Filmmaker Gerry Maguire introduces a new series of sci-fi screenings where cult classics set in 2019 have become our DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.
- The yearlong investigation of genre cinema continues at Austrian Cultural Forum London, shifting focus from HORROR to HISTORICAL PERIOD DRAMAS (02 APR to 30 MAY).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Films in London today (A – Z):
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (02 APR 20:30).
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at ICA (02 APR 13:00).
- DANCE WITH A STRANGER d. Roger Randall-Cutler, 1985 presented by Primrose Hill Community Library Film Club (02 APR 20:00).
- FACES, PLACES d. JR and Agnès Varda, 2017 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (02 APR 20:15).
- FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at The David Lean (02 APR 19:30).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (02 APR 20:50).
- MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2019 at ICA (02 APR 16:15).
- RAY & LIZ d. Ray Billingham, 2018 at JW3 (02 APR 20:30).
- SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (02 APR 20:40).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (02 APR 16:00).
- SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN d. Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly,1952 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (02 APR 20:00).
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at The Lexi (02 APR 20:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (APR):
- THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER d. Werner Herzog, 1974 (02 APR 20:40).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 15 JUL):
- ALMOST FAMOUS 35mm d. Cameron Crowe, 2000 (02 APR 21:00).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (until 21 APR):
- MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974 (02 APR 20:15).
DEREK JARMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 16 APR):
- SEBASTIANE d. Derek Jarman & Paul Humfress, 1976 (02 APR 18:35).
HISTORICAL PERIOD DRAMAS at Austrian Cultural Forum (02 APR to 30 MAY – FREE!):
- SODOM & GOMORRAH: THE LEGEND OF SIN & PUNISHMENT d. Michael Curtiz, 1922 (02 APR 19:00).
JOHN CARPENTER: A RESTORATION RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 MAR to 02 APR):
- BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA d. John Carpenter, 1986 (02 APR 19:00).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- KILLER’S KISS + THE SEAFARERS d. Stanley Kubrick, 1955 + 1953 (02 APR 18:00).
- LOLITA d. Stanley Kubrick, 1961 (02 APR 2010).
- “Inspired by Kubrick”: THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2017 (02 APR 18:10).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- TALK: Family and Other Values: The Cinema of Hirokazu Kore-eda by Alexander Jacoby (02 APR 18:20).
- AFTER LIFE d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1998 (02 APR 20:30).
SECRETS, MYSTERY, ABSURDITY: THE WORLD OF DAVID LYNCH at Genesis Cinema (02 to 25 APR 2019):
- BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1986 (02 APR 18:20).
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 presented by Trumans (02 APR 21:00 + a beverage for £5.50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- London Games Festival (02 to 14 APR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (27 MAR to 07 APR)
BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY d. Steve Sullivan, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (02 APR 13:25):
- “’80s and ’90s Manchester music fixture Frank Sidebottom hid a creative giant who was both defined and smothered by that whopping papier-mâché head. BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY unmasks him.”
LORDS OF CHAOS d. Jonas Åkerlund, 2018 at The Prince Charles (02 APR 20:45):
- “Oslo, 1987: Seventeen-year-old Euronymous (Rory Culkin) is determined to escape his idyllic Scandinavian hometown and create “true Norwegian black metal” with his band, MAYHEM.”
OUT OF BLUE d. Carol Morley, 2018 at Barbican (02 APR 18:15):
- “Director Carol Morley’s (DREAMS OF A LIFE, THE FALLING) latest film is a stylish, cosmic murder mystery, in which a police officer must discover who killed a young astrophysicist.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 FACES at Ciné Lumière (30 MAR to 27 APR). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE d. Catherine Corsini, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (01 to 07 APR). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Rio Cinema (29 MAR to 04 APR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huer, 2018 at DocHouse (until 03 APR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). EVERYBODY KNOWS d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at Watermans (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). HUMOR ME d. Sam Hoffman, 2017 presented by UKJF at JW3 (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE IMAGE YOU MISSED d. Dónal Foreman, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). THE PANAMA PAPERS d. Alex Winters, 2018 at DocHouse (29 MAR to 04 APR). SHARKWATER: EXTINCTION d. Rob Stewart, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 04 APR). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 04 APR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 MAR to 04 APR).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.