RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE ISLE d. Matthew Butler-Hart, 2018 + Q&A at Everyman Muswell Hill (02 MAY 19:30):
- “When a heavy storm hits causing a ship to sink, three survivors row through a thick, early morning mist, lost and disorientated. The fog begins to clear and The Isle appears before them. They soon discover that it is almost abandoned except for its four sole residents; an old harbourman, a farmer, his niece and a wild woman.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- We chatted with artist Ben Turner about classic 80s movie posters, lurid VHS aesthetics & his design for MIDNIGHT EXCESS #2, Ranjit S. Ruprai’s late night collab with The Celluloid Sorceress (11 MAY 23:00+, Rio Cinema).
- We’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals this month (MAY 2019).
- We’re partnering with Screen25 to celebrate their new Spring/Summer programme. All RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers, friends & followers get a juicy discount when booking for this exciting lineup.
- Thanks to our friends at Birkbeck University, we’ll be discussing “independent exhibition at a time of crisis” & screening Joe Dante’s MATINEE (21 MAY 18:00, Birkbeck Cinema – FREE!).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 + SHORT: THE CUB d. Riley Stearns, 2013 + INTRO/T-SHIRT COMP at The Lexi Cinema (02 MAY 18:15):
- Gracie Britton & Matt Greenfield from the BFI’s Future Film Festival present: Alice Rohrwacher’s “magical, mystical and mesmerising” film which will be preceded by a short film. Gracie & Matt say: “Quirky, funny and visually complimenting the lush, verdant landscape of HAPPY AS LAZZARO’s opening, THE CUB makes for a charming way to relax into the feature screening.” There will also be a chance to win a Girls on Tops t-shirt.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 at Genesis Cinema (02 MAY 21:10).
- AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (02 MAY 20:45).
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at ICA (02 MAY 14:15).
- FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (02 MAY 20:00).
- GUILTY HANDS d. W. S. Van Dyke, 1931 presented by Kennington Talkies at The Cinema Museum (02 MAY 19:30).
- HARD PAINT d. Filipe Matzembacher & Marcio Reolon, 2018 presented by BFI Flare at BFI (02 MAY 20:40).
- LORDS OF CHAOS d. Jonas Åkerlund, 2018 at The Prince Charles (02 MAY 13:00).
- REALITY BITES 35mm d. Ben Stiller, 1994 at The Prince Charles (02 MAY 18:25 – £1 PCC Members Screening).
- WHAT THEY HAD d. Elizabeth Chomko, 2018 at The David Lean (02 MAY 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE MEANINGS OF LIFE at BFI Southbank (APR):
- LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD d. Alain Resnais, 1961 (02 MAY 18:30).
THE FILMS OF PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON at The Prince Charles (until 08 JUL):
- MAGNOLIA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999 (02 MAY 20:00).
INGMAR BERGMAN SEASON at Deptford Cinema (until 02 MAY):
- THE VIRGIN SPRING d. Ingmar Bergman, 1960 (02 MAY 19:30).
KOREAN FILM NIGHTS: HOME TRUTHS at Korean Cultural Centre (02 MAY to 20 JUN – FREE!):
- THE WORLD OF US d. Yoon Ga-eun, 2016 (02 MAY 19:00).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- MABOROSI d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1995 enjoys a grind show run (26 APR to 09 MAY).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at The Prince Charles (27 APR to 12 MAY):
- AFTER LIFE d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1998 (02 MAY 20:45).
RE:DOX at DocHouse (26 APR to 02 MAY):
- LA POINTE COURTE d. Agnès Varda, 1954 (02 MAY 14:30).
- THE GLEANERS AND I d. Agnès Varda, 2000 (02 MAY 18:30).
- THE BEACHES OF AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2008 (02 MAY 20:30).
SECRETS, MYSTERY, ABSURDITY: THE WORLD OF DAVID LYNCH at Genesis Cinema (02 APR to 02 MAY):
- THE ELEPHANT MAN d. David Lynch, 1980 presented by Cult Classic Collective including an INTRO + post-screening SALON with Nick Walker, Rochester Kino (02 MAY 18:25).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- MAGNOLIA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999 (02 MAY 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Chinese Visual Festival (02 to 09 MAY).
- Herne Hill Free Film Festival (29 APR to 01 JUN).
- New Cross & Deptford Free Film Festival (26 APR to 05 MAY).
- SERET International: The UK Israeli Film & Television Festival (29 APR to 12 MAY).
ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhangke, 2018 at Barbican (02 MAY 20:05):
- “From modern master Jia Zhangke, an allegorical portrait of Chinese national malaise wrapped in the romantic tragedy of a jianghu epic.”
DONBASS d. Sergey Loznitsa, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (02 MAY 14:45 – LAST CHANCE!):
- “In the Donbass, a region of Eastern Ukraine, a hybrid war takes place, involving an open armed conflict alongside killings and robberies on a mass scale perpetrated by separatist gangs. This is not a tale of one region, one country or one political system. It is about a world, lost in post-truth and fake identities. It is about each and every one of us.”
HEARTBOUND d. Janus Metz & Sine Plambech, 2018 at DocHouse (02 MAY 16:30):
- “In a small fishing community in Denmark, 926 Thai women are married to Danish men. It all began in 1992 when former sex worker Sommai moved to Thy, Denmark to marry Niels, whom she had met in the resort city of Pattaya, Thailand. With Sommai’s help, hundreds of Thai women from her village have since arrived to find security and love with Danish men.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ART & MIND d. Amélie Ravalec, 2019 at ICA (27 APR to 02 MAY). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at The Prince Charles (26 APR to 02 MAY). BEL CANTO d. Paul Weitz, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (26 APR to 02 MAY). DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE d. S. Craig Zahler, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 02 MAY). EIGHTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at Rich Mix (26 APR to 02 MAY). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at ICA (26 to 02 MAY). KNOCK DOWN THE HOUSE d. Rachel Lears, 2019 at ICA (01 to 08 MAY). LORO d. Paolo Sorrentino, 2018 The Castle Cinema (26 APR to 02 MAY). MABOROSI d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1995 at Rio Cinema (26 APR to 02 MAY). MID90S d. Jonah Hill, 2018 at Moving Pictures (until 01 MAY). THE MIRACLE OF THE LITTLE PRINCE d. Marjoleine Boonstra, 2018 at DocHouse (until 01 MAY). PONDLIFE d. Bill Buckhurst, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (26 APR to 02 MAY). RAFIKI d. Wanuri Kahiu, 2018 at ICA (26 APR to 02 MAY). RED JOAN d. Trevor Nunn, 2018 + at Phoenix Cinema (26 APR to 02 MAY). THE SISTERS BROTHERS d. Jacques Audiard, 2018 at The Lexi (19 APR to 02 MAY). STYX d. Wolfgang Fischer, 2018 at ICA (26 APR to 02 MAY). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 02 MAY). WILD ROSE d. Tom Harper, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 02 MAY). THE WORLD IS YOURS d. Romain Gavras, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 02 MAY). YULI: THE CARLOS ACOSTA STORY at Rio Cinema (until 02 MAY).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.