RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: ARTISTS & ACTIVISTS: Second Wave Feminist Filmmakers weekender at Barbican (02 to 03 JUN). Featured image from BETTY TELLS HER STORY (1972, Dir. Liane Brandon) which is part of DESIRE, BEAUTY & THE GAZE + PANEL (02 JUN 16:00).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
African Odysseys Presents: NEW WAVE at BFI Southbank (02 JUN 12:00):
- Investigating how a generation of queer people of colour (QTPOC) are represented on and off screen, and what challenges they might face. Chaired by Chardine Taylor-Stone, in conversation with Kartel Brown, director of OUT & BAD, and Seye Isikalu, director of YELOW IN BLUE.
Double Bill: FILMWORKER + BARRY LYNDON at Regent Street Cinema (02 JUN 14:00/19:30 + 16:00):
- It’s a rare person who would give up fame and fortune to toil in obscurity for someone else’s creative vision. Yet, that’s exactly what Leon Vitali did after his acclaimed performance as ‘Lord Bullingdon” in Stanley Kubrick’s BARRY LYNDON. There’s a discount for doing the double with the doc and the film that got it all started. Repeats 03 JUN.
THE LIVE GHOST TENT – QUARTERLY MEETING OF THE LAUREL & HARDY SOCIETY at The Cinema Museum (02 JUN 15:00):
- The films are THAT’S MY WIFE (1929), short directed by Lloyd French; OUR WIFE (1931), short directed by James W. Horne; TWICE TWO (1933), short directed by James Parrott; and WAY OUT WEST (1937), directed by James W. Horne.
More films in London today (A – Z): THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN at Deptford Cinema (02 JUN 15:00). BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (02 JUN 21:00). GHOSTBUSTERS (1984) at Backyard Cinema (02 JUN 16:30). NAMATJIRA PROJECT at DocHouse (02 JUNE 20:30). PRECIOUS presented by Fruitvale Film Club at Birkbeck Cinema (02 Jun 14:00 – Free!). SIREN OF THE TROPICS aka La Sirène des Tropiques at BFI (02 JUN 18:15). Take Two: 3 WOMEN + [PERSONA 07 JUN] at Close-Up (02 JUN 20:15 & 07 JUN 20:30). THELMA & LOUISE at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (02 JUN 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL):
- The Many Faces Of Agnès Varda discusses Varda’s life, work and influence (02 JUN 12:00).
- LA POINTE COURTE (02 JUN 16:20).
- CLÉO FROM 5 TO 7 (02 JUN 18:20).
ARTISTS & ACTIVISTS: Second Wave Feminist Filmmakers at Barbican (02 to 03 JUN):
- BEING A WOMAN + INTRO by Ann Deborah Levy & Sheila Rowbotham (02 JUN 12:00).
- WOMEN FINDING THEIR VOICES + INTRO by Stephanie Palewski (02 JUN 14:00).
- DESIRE, BEAUTY & THE GAZE + PANEL (02 JUN 16:00).
- DETERMINED WOMEN AT WORK + INTRO by Bonnie Greer (02 JUN 18:15).
- There’s a Weekend Pass.
AS IF… A SEASON OF TEEN MOVIES at The Prince Charles (02 JUN to 11 AUG):
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU 35mm (02 JUN 18:20).
CLOSE UP: AVA DUVERNAY at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- THIS IS THE LIFE (02 JUN 20:15).
CREATURE FEATURES at The Prince Charles (until 23 JUL):
- ALIEN Theatrical Version + ALIENS Director’s Cut two films, one ticket (02 JUN 20:45).
IDA LUPINO: ACTOR, DIRECTOR, WRITER, PRODUCER, STAR at BFI Southbank (JUN):
JOAN JONAS: MYSTIC KNOTS + INTROs/Q&As with Joan Jonas at Tate Modern (02 to 03 JUN):
TONY RICHARDSON: THE LONELINESS OF THE BRITISH NEW WAVE at Close-Up (02 to 30 JUN):
- THE LONELINESS OF THE LONG DISTANCE RUNNER (02 JUN 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Sundance Film Festival London (until 03 JUN – tickets available for the following screens at the time of posting):
- THE TALE (02 JUN 15:40/15:55, Picturehouse Central).
- SKATE KITCHEN (02 JUN 17:15, Picturehouse Central).
- FIRST REFORMED (02 JUN 17:45, Picturehouse Central).
- THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST (02 JUN 18:30, Picturehouse Central).
- GIRLHOOD (02 JUN 19:30, Picturehouse Central).
- GENERATION WEATH (02 JUN 20:30, Picturehouse Central).
- AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN (02 JUN 22:15, Picturehouse Central).
CONCEALED at The Castle Cinema (02 JUN 19:00):
- A thriller like no other. Set in the underbelly of Sydney’s inner city suburbs where Max (Simon Lyndon) and his mate Richard (Paul Tassone) are desperately trying to find Sallie, Max’s partner who’s disappeared. Their search takes them deep into the criminal heartland of the city and even deeper inside the secrets and lies of family.
ISMAEL’S GHOSTS at Ciné Lumière (02 JUN 20:40):
- Film director Ismaël Vuillard (Mathieu Amalric) still mourns the death of his wife Carlotta, twenty years earlier, even though he has started his life over again with Sylvia (Charlotte Gainsbourg). When Carlotta (Marion Cotillard) returns from the dead, their whole world is turned upside-down.
PANDORA’S BOX at Barbican (02 JUN 15:40):
- G.W. Pabst’s tragic portrait of sexual obsession, following the rise and fall of Lulu (Louise Brooks), a femme fatale who unleashes uncontrollable desires in the men and women she encounters.
- Also showing at BFI Southbank where the screening on 04 JUN 18:00 has a live accompaniment by Cyrus Gabrysch.
More films in London this week (A – Z: click for dates/times): ENTEBBE at JW3 (01 JUN to 05 JUL). FILMWORKER at Watermans (01 to 07 JUN). MCKELLEN: PLAYING THE PART at Genesis (01 to 05 JUN). MARY & THE WITCH’S FLOWER at The Prince Charles (01 to 07 JUN). MY FRIEND DAHMER at The Institute Of Light (01 to 07 JUN). WESTERN at Whirled Cinema (04 to 10 JUN). ZAMA at ICA (01 to 07 JUN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.