SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 02.09.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: STOLEN SUMMERS (02 to 16 SEP, various venues) – a new film season “celebrating the European summer holiday and the pleasure and trouble that travel invites” curated by Taryn Joffe – gets underway at Lexi Cinema today with a double bill of THE GREEN RAY + UNRELATED + Q&A with Joanna Hogg (02 SEP 14:00 & 16:00).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BALLYMURPHY PRECEDENT + Q&A with director Callum Macrae at Phoenix Cinema (02 SEP 14:00):
- Award-winning director Callum Macrae’s new feature documentary tells the story of the death of eleven innocent people killed by the British Army on a Catholic estate in Belfast in 1971, and the fight by their relatives and survivors to discover the truth.
THE HEIRESS + Q&A with director Marcelo Martinessi at ICA (02 SEP 16:15):
- Once proud members of Paraguay’s elite, Chela and Chiquita now live a cloistered life in a grand house falling into disrepair. Together for over thirty years, their debts lead to Chiquita’s imprisonment on fraud charges and Chela, the more reclusive of the couple, is forced to face a new reality.
KENNETH ANGER NIGHT at Moth Club (02 SEP 19:00):
- Deeper Into Movies returns to celebrate the legendary master occultist director Kenneth Anger. His work blends ritual, magik, queer mysticism, leather, and rock n’ roll into images that have changed cinema forever.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AFTER THE THIN MAN presented by Kennington Talkies at The Cinema Museum (02 SEP 14:30).
- BEST F(R)IENDS VOLUME 1 at The Prince Charles (02 SEP 20:45).
- BLACK PANTHER at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (02 SEP 20:00).
- DISTANT CONSTELLATION at ICA (02 SEP 12:40).
- FINDING NEMO at Picturehouse Central (02 SEP 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR at Backyard Cinema (02 SEP 12:30).
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (02 SEP 21:00).
- THE GOONIES at Backyard Cinema (02 SEP 16:30).
- HEARTS BEAT LOUDat Genesis Cinema (02 SEP 20:30).
- THE KING at Barbican (02 SEP 16:05).
- LEANING INTO THE WIND at DocHouse (02 SEP 13:50).
- THE MAN FROM MO’WAX at DocHouse (02 SEP 18:00).
- SUMMER 1993 at ICA (02 SEP 12:10).
- YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE at Whirled Cinema (02 SEP 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (02 SEP 20:15).
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS various venues (AUG to SEP):
- Close-Up (until 29 SEP): THE BEACHES OF AGNÈS (02 SEP 18:00); and, JAQUOT DE NANTES (02 SEP 20:30).
STOLEN SUMMERS various venues (02 to 16 SEP):
- LEXI Cinema: THE GREEN RAY + UNRELATED + Q&A with Joanna Hogg (02 SEP 14:00 & 16:00).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 06 JAN 2019):
- MY NEIGHBORS THE YAMADAS (02 SEP 12:45).
SUMMER FILMS at House of Vans (until 02 SEP – Free! / No booking required):
- REAR WINDOW (02 SEP 14:00 & 16:00).
VARDA BY AGNÈS at Ciné Lumière (until 30 SEP):
- L’UNE CHANTE, L’AUTRE PAS (02 SEP 14:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Festivals projecting today include:
- I Will Tell International Film Festival (30 AUG to 09 SEP).
- Little Wing Film Festival (31 AUG to 02 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (31 AUG to 16 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
- Sink The Pink: We Are Family Film Festival (02 SEP).
C’EST LA VIE! at Ciné Lumière (02 SEP 16:20):
- With thirty years of catering under his belt, Max has organised hundreds of parties. So organising a magnificent wedding in a seventeenth century château with a brigade of waiters, cooks, dishwashers, an orchestra, a photographer and all ingredients for a big celebration should be a piece of cake…
THE KING at DocHouse (02 SEP 15:50 & 20:40):
- Eugene Jarecki takes a roadtrip across America in Elvis Presley’s 1963 Rolls-Royce to offer a state of the nation epic that tracks the rise and fall of one America’s greatest musical stars. From Memphis to New York, Las Vegas, and beyond, the journey traces the rise and fall of Elvis as a metaphor for the country he left behind.
More films in London this week (A – Z): THE BALLYMURPHY PRECEDENT at DocHouse (03 to 06 SEP). BLACKkKLANSMAN at The Castle Cinema (31 AUG to 13 SEP). BRAGUINO at ICA (01 to 05 SEP). THE CHILDREN ACT at the Phoenix Cinema (31 AUG to 06 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (01 to 05 SEP). COLD WAR at Barbican (31 AUG to 06 AUG). DOUGH at JW3 (02 to 06 SEP). THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES at Watermans (31 AUG to 05 SEP). HEATHERS at The Prince Charles (31 AUG to 06 SEP). MARY SHELLEY at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 SEP).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.