SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 03.02.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
1985 + PANEL d. Yen Tan, 2018 at The Cinema Museum (03 FEB 18:30):
- The VITO Project presents: A collab with AIDS Memory UK Campaign, StopAIDS & Youth Stop AIDS and GMFA for a special screening of 1985, a 2018 award-winning US film directed by Yen Tan. The film will be followed by a post-screening discussion.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- INTERVIEW: We chatted to Nuala O’Sullivan, director of the Women Over 50 Film Festival (WOFFF), ahead of today’s BEST OF THE FEST pop-up at Mother’s Ruin (03 FEB 16:00).
- VALENTINE’S: Hopelessly in love? Got an unrequited crush (or two)? Think that love’s for the birds? There are enough great Valentine’s Day films & seasons this year to melt even the frostiest of hearts. Read our handy guide to find out what’s on.
- FEBRUARY: our epic roundup of rep seasons & film fests for the month ahead.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Films in London today (A – Z):
- BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE d. Jane Magnusson, 2018 at DocHouse (03 FEB 16:00).
- BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 presented by Out At Clapham at Clapham Picturehouse (03 FEB 17:45).
- CAMORRA d. Francesco Patierno, 2018 at DocHouse (03 FEB 14:00).
- COLD WAR d. Pawel Pawlikowski, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (03 FEB 18:00).
- CRUCIBLE OF THE VAMPIRE d. Iain Ross-McNamee, 2019 at The Prince Charles (03 FEB 17:00).
- DUCK SOUP d. Leo McCarey, 1933 at Picturehouse West Norwood (03 FEB 11:00).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (03 FEB 13:30).
- HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at DocHouse (03 FEB 18:30).
- IMITATION OF LIFE d. John M. Stahl, 1934 at The Cinema Museum (03 FEB 14:30).
- King Krule – On Film (IVW 2019) presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (03 FEB 15:00).
- STAN & OLLIE d. Jon S. Baird, 2018 at Peckhamplex (03 FEB 12:15).
- TALKING HEADS: STOP MAKING SENSE d. Jonathan Demme, 1984 presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (03 FEB 19:30).
- TIDES d. Tupaq Felber, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (03 FEB 20:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS d. Alexander Mackendrick, 1957 (03 FEB 17:50).
- REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE d. Nicolas Ray, 1955 (03 FEB 20:10).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1967 (03 FEB 18:00).
- BELLE DE JOUR d. Luis Buñuel, 1967 (03 FEB 20:00).
FEELGOOD FILMS at House Of Vans (25 JAN to 17 FEB – FREE! No booking required):
- SCHOOL OF ROCK (03 FEB 14:00 & 16:00).
FRENCH CLASSICS SPECIAL CÉSAR AWARDS at Ciné Lumière (03 to 24 FEB):
- AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS d. Louis Malle, 1987 (03 FEB 14:00).
JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME: PEOPLE STILL CALL IT LOVE at ICA (02 to 10 FEB):
- DESTINY: THE TALE OF KAMAKURA d. Takashi Yamazaki, 2017 (03 FEB 13:30).
- DAD’S LUNCH BOX + INTRO d. Masakazu Fukatsu, 2017 (03 FEB 16:00).
- HER LOVE BOILS BATHWATER d. Ryôta Nakano, 2016 (03 FEB 18:00 ).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- CHINA d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1972 (03 FEB 13:10).
- BLOW UP 35mm + INTRO by actor Peter Bowles d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966 (03 FEB 17:40).
MIRANDA JULY at Deptford Cinema (02 to 03 FEB):
- JOANIE4JACKIE 4 EVER short film programme (03 FEB 16:00).
- THE FUTURE d. Miranda July, 2011 (03 FEB 18:00).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON 35mm d. Robert Siodmak, 1950 (03 FEB 15:30).
- DOUBLE INDEMNITY d. Billy Wilder, 1944 (03 FEB 19:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London International Mime Festival (03 FEB – SOLD OUT!).
- South Social Celebrates Black Culture (02 to 03 FEB).
- St. Brigid’s Day Festival (03 FEB).
- The Third Tufnell Park Film Club Shorter Film Festival (03 FEB).
- Women Over Fifty Film Festival – Best Of The Fest (03 FEB).
BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Rio Cinema (03 FEB 14:00 & 20:15):
- Lyrical, poetic, and mysterious, acclaimed South Korean filmmaker Lee Chang-dong’s BURNING expands a Haruki Murakami short story to create a compelling and mysterious world that explores unrequited love and the nature of obsession.
CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (03 FEB 15:10 & 18:00 — Other Picturehouses available!):
- In a courtroom, a young boy named Zain (Zain Al Rafeea) stands before a judge. He asks to sue his own parents for giving him life. The circumstances that have brought him to this point take us on a journey through his poverty-stricken upbringing in Beirut where he lives with his family.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 93QUEEN d. Paula Eiselt, 2018 at DocHouse (01 to 07 FEB). BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE at BFI Southbank (until 07 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (01 to 14 FEB). THE DISTANT BARKING OF DOGS d. Simon Lereng Wilmot, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 07 FEB). DOGMAN d. Matteo Garrone, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (04 to 10 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (until 21 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). THE HOUSE BY THE SEA d. Robert Guédiguian, 2017 at Watermans (01 to 07 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU d. Boots Riley, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). STAN & OLLIE d. Jon S. Baird, 2018 at Watermans (until 07 FEB). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 FEB).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.