RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
A DEAL WITH THE UNIVERSE d. Jason Barker, 2018 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (03 APR 18:15):
- “In his first documentary, former BFI Flare programmer Jason Barker tells the story of his family, and of the unexpected setbacks in trying to conceive a child with his partner.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- We’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for APRIL. Our featured attraction of the month is BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET which continues today with Matt Turner’s Is This A Game To You? at BFI (03 APR 20:45).
- Filmmaker Gerry Maguire introduces a new series of sci-fi screenings where cult classics set in 2019 have become our DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.
- The yearlong investigation of genre cinema continues at Austrian Cultural Forum London, shifting focus from HORROR to HISTORICAL PERIOD DRAMAS (02 APR to 30 MAY).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Another Evening Of 9.5mm Films From Kevin Brownlow’s Collection at The Cinema Museum (03 APR 19:30):
- Kennington Bioscope presents: “German mountain drama THE WHITE HELL OF PIZ PALU d. Arnold Fanck & G. W. Pabst, 1929; French drama LA GLU d. Henri Fescourt, 1927; MY BOY d. Albert Austin, 1921 starring Jackie Coogan, a follow-up to Chaplin’s THE KID (1921); and, ADIEU LES COPAINS d. Léo Joannon, 1930.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN d. Bradley Cooper, 2018 presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (03 APR 19:45).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Moving Pictures (03 APR 15:00).
- COVER GIRL d. Charles Vidor, 1944 at Regent Street Cinema (03 APR 12:00 & 15:30).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (03 APR 13:50).
- GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at The David Lean (03 APR 19:30).
- KHALID: FREE SPIRIT d. Khalid and Emil Nava, 2019 at Peckhamplex (03 APR 19:00).
- THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Curzon Aldgate (03 APR 18:00 – Other Curzons available!).
- LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE d. Alfonso Arau, 1992 part of Latin American Film Nights at Deptford Cinema (03 APR 20:00).
- LOST IN TRANSLATION 35mm d. Sofia Coppola, 2003 at The Prince Charles (03 APR 18:10).
- LUCKY d. John Carroll Lynch, 2017 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Millennium Halls (03 APR 20:15).
- MAIDEN d. Alex Holmes, 2018 at Lexi Cinema (03 APR 18:30).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan, Samuel Smith, 2018 at The Prince Charles (03 APR 13:10).
- RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (03 APR 14:00).
- SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (03 APR 20:40).
- WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at Langley Park Centre (03 APR 19:45).
- YULI – THE CARLOS ACOSTA STORY d. Icíar Bollaín, 2018 + Satellite Q&A with Carlos Acosta, Iciar Bollain & Paul Laverty at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 APR 19:00 – Other venues are available!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- READY PLAYER ONE 70mm d. Steven Spielberg, 2018 (03 APR 20:35).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (03 APR 13:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (APR):
- ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS d. Howard Hawks, 1939 + INTRO by Geoff Andrew (03 APR 18:10).
- FARGO d. Joel Coen, 1996 (03 APR 21:00).
BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET at BFI Southbank (APR):
- Is This A Game To You? + EXTENDED INTRO short film programme curated by Lost Futures (03 APR 20:45).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (until 21 APR):
- NOSTALGHIA d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1983 (03 APR 20:15).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (03 APR 18:20). THE SHINING (Extended Version) d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (03 APR 20:15). “Inspired by Kubrick”: AMERICAN PSYCHO d. Mary Harron, 2000 (03 APR 20:50).
POETRY IN MOTION: CONTEMPORARY IRANIAN CINEMA at Barbican (03 to 24 APR):
- A DRAGON ARRIVES! d. Mani Haghighi, 2016 + Q&A with the director (03 APR 18:10).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- London Games Festival (02 to 14 APR).
- Taiwan Film Festival (03 to 14 APR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (27 MAR to 07 APR).
BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY d. Steve Sullivan, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 APR 21:30):
- “’80s and ’90s Manchester music fixture Frank Sidebottom hid a creative giant who was both defined and smothered by that whopping papier-mâché head. BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY unmasks him.”
LORDS OF CHAOS d. Jonas Åkerlund, 2018 at The Prince Charles (03 APR 15:15):
- “Oslo, 1987: Seventeen-year-old Euronymous (Rory Culkin) is determined to escape his idyllic Scandinavian hometown and create “true Norwegian black metal” with his band, MAYHEM.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 FACES d. Jafar Panahi, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (30 MAR to 27 APR). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE d. Catherine Corsini, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (01 to 07 APR). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Rio Cinema (29 MAR to 04 APR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huer, 2018 at DocHouse (until 03 APR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). EVERYBODY KNOWS d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at Watermans (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). HUMOR ME d. Sam Hoffman, 2017 presented by UKJF at JW3 (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE IMAGE YOU MISSED d. Dónal Foreman, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). OUT OF BLUE d. Carol Morley, 2018 at Barbican (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE PANAMA PAPERS d. Alex Winters, 2018 at DocHouse (29 MAR to 04 APR). SHARKWATER: EXTINCTION d. Rob Stewart, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 04 APR). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 04 APR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 MAR to 04 APR).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.