RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: UK premiere of a new restoration of THE ANCIENT LAW + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Meg Morley at Phoenix Cinema (03 JUN 15:45).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE ANCIENT LAW + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Meg Morley at Phoenix Cinema (03 JUN 15:45):
- In the mid 1800s in Galicia, Baruch Mayer (Ernst Deutsch), yearns to become an actor. Despite the expectation to follow in his father’s footsteps and become an orthodox rabbi, he breaks from tradition and leaves the shtetl in pursuit of his dream. UK premiere of a new restoration.
- To celebrate the release of THAT SUMMER, director Göran Hugo Olsson’s companion piece to GREY GARDENS, DocHouse brings the cult classic back to the big screen. THAT SUMMER also gets a grind show run (01 to 07 JUN).
MOTHERS OF MEN aka Every Woman’s Problem + INTRO by Bryony Dixon & LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by John Sweeney at BFI Southbank (03 JUN 13:00):
- Willis Robards’ MOTHERS OF MEN was re-released in 1921 after the passage of the 19th Amendment, as Every Woman’s Problem. It questions whether women were capable of taking the tough decisions required of high office – in this case a judge elected as state Governor faced with the dilemma of refusing a pardon to her husband who is facing a death sentence.
More films in London today (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY at Picturehouse Stratford (03 JUN 18:00 – Other Picturehouses available!). AMY presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Lock Tavern (03 JUN 19:00 – Cancelled!). BOMBSHELL 35mm at BFI (03 JUN 16:20). CUSTODY at Picturehouse Central (03 JUN 11:35). Double Bill: CENTRAL EUROPE IN SHORTS 1 + CENTRAL EUROPE IN SHORTS 2 animated + live action at Regent Street Cinema (03 JUN 13:00 + 15:00). Double Bill: FILMWORKER + BARRY LYNDON at Regent Street Cinema (03 JUN 17:30 + 19:30). FRANKENSTEIN & THE MONSTER FROM HELL at Deptford Cinema (03 JUN 15:00). I, TONYA at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (03 JUN 21:00). THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA at The Prince Charles (03 JUN 14:55). THIS IS SPINAL TAP 35mm at The Prince Charles (03 JUN 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- PHANTOM THREAD 70mm (03 JUN 17:55).
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL):
ANIMATION 2018: THE FEMALE PIONEERS at BFI Southbank (2018):
- THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED (03 JUN 14:30).
A ONE AND A TWO… THE FILMS OF EDWARD YANG at Close-Up (03 to 18 JUN):
ARTISTS & ACTIVISTS: Second Wave Feminist Filmmakers at Barbican (02 to 03 JUN):
- TAKING ACTION: ORDINARY WOMEN AT THE EPICENTRE… (03 JUN 14:00).
- THE PERSONAL IS POLITICAL + INTRO by Susie Orbach & Amalie R Rothschild (03 JUN 16:00).
CLOSE UP: AVA DUVERNAY at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- I WILL FOLLOW (03 JUN 20:30).
IDA LUPINO: ACTOR, DIRECTOR, WRITER, PRODUCER, STAR at BFI Southbank (JUN):
JOAN JONAS: MYSTIC KNOTS + INTROs/Q&As with Joan Jonas at Tate Modern (02 to 03 JUN):
TRIBUTE TO MARCEL CARNÉ at Ciné Lumière (03 JUN to 22 JUL):
- LE JOUR SE LÈVE (03 JUN 14:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Sundance Film Festival London (until 03 JUN – tickets available for the following screens at the time of posting):
- GENERATION WEALTH (03 JUN 11:45, Picturehouse Central).
- NEVER GOIN’ BACK (03 JUN 12:00/12:15, Picturehouse Central).
- MORVERN CALLAR (03 JUN 12:30, Picturehouse Central).
- MAKE ‘EM LAUGH COMEDY FILM MASTERCLASS (03 JUN 14:00, Picturehouse Central).
- SKATE KITCHEN (03 JUN 14:45/15:00, Picturehouse Central).
- THE ART OF THE REAL (DOCS PANEL) (03 JUN 15:20, Picturehouse Central).
- YARDIE (03 JUN 17:15, Picturehouse Central).
- AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN (03 JUN 17:30, Picturehouse Central).
- HALF THE PICTURE (03 JUN 17:40/17:55, Picturehouse Central).
CONCEALED at The Castle Cinema (03 JUN 15:00):
- A thriller like no other. Set in the underbelly of Sydney’s inner city suburbs where Max (Simon Lyndon) and his mate Richard (Paul Tassone) are desperately trying to find Sallie, Max’s partner who’s disappeared. Their search takes them deep into the criminal heartland of the city and even deeper inside the secrets and lies of family.
ISMAEL’S GHOSTS at Ciné Lumière (03 JUN 16:00 & 20:30):
- Film director Ismaël Vuillard (Mathieu Amalric) still mourns the death of his wife Carlotta, twenty years earlier, even though he has started his life over again with Sylvia (Charlotte Gainsbourg). When Carlotta (Marion Cotillard) returns from the dead, their whole world is turned upside-down.
PANDORA’S BOX at Barbican (03 JUN 15:40):
- G.W. Pabst’s tragic portrait of sexual obsession, following the rise and fall of Lulu (Louise Brooks), a femme fatale who unleashes uncontrollable desires in the men and women she encounters.
- Also at BFI Southbank where the screening on 04 JUN 18:00 has a live accompaniment by Cyrus Gabrysch.
More films in London this week (A – Z): ENTEBBE at JW3 (01 JUN to 05 JUL). FILMWORKER at Watermans (01 to 07 JUN). MCKELLEN: PLAYING THE PART at Genesis (01 to 05 JUN). MARY & THE WITCH’S FLOWER at The Prince Charles (01 to 07 JUN). MY FRIEND DAHMER at The Institute Of Light (01 to 07 JUN). WESTERN at Whirled Cinema (04 to 10 JUN). ZAMA at ICA (01 to 07 JUN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.