RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
BORDER d. Ali Alibassi, 2018 at Deptford Cinema (03 JUN 19:30):
- “A mist-shrouded, early morning truffle-hunt of a movie, almost everything here hinges on one almighty central performance from Eva Melander; we literally breathe in every one of her new realities as she embarks on a voyage of self discovery, propelled by her profound sense of smell. As her universe tilts on its axis, we stare into her face through endless, unflattering close-ups. Which sounds implausible given the serious prosthetics on display, but this is a performance that truly hides nothing in order to expose us to, well, everything…” (Read our full RADIANT CIRCUS writeup from LFF2018).
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- RADIANT CIRCUS chatted with artist Cristina Polop about walking like a duck, amorous crabs, drawing funny & her poster design for MIDNIGHT EXCESS #3, Ranjit S. Ruprai’s late night collab with Amos Levin (15 JUN 23:00+, Rio Cinema).
- Fragments Festival at Genesis Cinema (07 to 15 JUN 2019) celebrates “inclusivity through film” & features a high proportion of directors who identify as women, people of colour, disabled & LGBTQ+. We’ve taken a look at the programme & made a few cheeky recommends.
- Our friends at Close-Up have announced a new programme of thirteen films, by three masters of Taiwanese New Cinema, set in & around Taipei. We’ve written a handy guide to the TAIPEI STORIES (01 to 30 JUN) season (including news of an exclusive season discount).
- Obsessive behaviour is the rocket fuel that propels RADIANT CIRCUS through the universe of London’s alternative cinema scene. Now Deptford Cinema has launched a new season that looks at CINEMATIC OBSESSIONS & we invite you along for the ride (11 JUN to 29 JUL).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Double Bill: SHOPLIFTERS + MABOROSI d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 + 1995 at Regent Street Cinema (03 JUN 18:30 & 20:55 – Discount for doing the double!).
- ELLA FITZGERALD: JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS d. Leslie Woodhead, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (03 JUN 19:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- FACES PLACES d. Agnès Varda & JR, 2017 at The Prince Charles (03 JUN 18:30).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (03 JUN 19:30).
- FERRANTE FEVER d. Giacomo Durzi, 2018 at JW3 (03 JUN 15:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS: WEIMAR CINEMA 1919-1933 at BFI Southbank (MAY to JUN):
- MÄDCHEN IN UNIFORM d. Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931 presented by BFI Flare (03 JUN 18:15).
- THE ANCIENT LAW d. EA Dupont, 1923 (03 JUN 20:20).
- THE BLUE ANGEL d. Josef von Sternberg, 1930 starts a grind show run (31 MAY to 13 JUN).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- MADAME DE… d. Max Ophuls, 1953 (03 JUN 20:50).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 15 JUL):
- MONEYBALL 35mm d. Bennett Miller, 2011 (03 JUN 20:45).
LEXI FILM SCHOOL at The Lexi (29 APR to 24 JUN):
- OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 with speaker: Elhum Shakerifar, producer of OF LOVE & LAW (03 JUN 18:30).
THE ORIGINAL SINS OF CLAIRE DENIS at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- The Visions of Claire Denis talk (03 JUN 18:30).
- VENDREDI SOIR 35mm d. Claire Denis, 2002 (03 JUN 20:45).
TAIPEI STORIES at Close-Up (01 to 30 JUN):
- REBELS OF THE NEON GOD d. Tsai Ming-liang, 1993 (03 JUN 20:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today, but we’ve been wrong before…
FREEDOM FIELDS d. Naziha Arebi, 2018 at DocHouse (03 JUN 18:40):
- “An intimate look at post-revolution Libya through the eyes of an aspiring all-female soccer team, whose struggle to gain mainstream acceptance mirrors the broader challenges facing women in contemporary Libyan society.”
SUNSET d. László Nemes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 JUN 12:20 & 17:40):
- “Following on from his BAFTA and Oscar®-winning masterpiece SON OF SAUL, writer-director László Nemes returns with another exquisite piece of cinema that is as much about family bonds as it is about the breathtaking spectacle captured with his unique, signature style”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at DocHouse (until 06 JUN). ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhangke, 2018 at ICA (until 06 JUN). BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 13 JUN). BOOKSMARTd. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at Moving Pictures (31 MAY to 06 JUN). EIGHTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 05 JUN). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 JUN). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at The Prince Charles (31 MAY to 06 JUN). MA d. Tate Taylor, 2019 at Rich Mix (31 MAY to 06 JUN). ROCKETMAN d. Dexter Fletcher, 2019 at The Lexi (31 May to 06 JUN). SERIAL (BAD) WEDDING 2 d. Philippe de Chauveron, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (01 to 27 JUN). SUNSETd. László Nemes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (31 May to 06 JUN). THUNDER ROAD d. Jim Cummings, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (31 MAY to 06 JUN). VOX LUX d. Brady Corbet, 2018 at Watermans (31 MAY to 06 JUN). WHERE HANDS TOUCH d. Amma Asante, 2018 at JW3 (31 MAY to 06 JUN). THE WHITE CROWd. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Watermans (01 to 06 JUN). WOMEN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 at JW3 (02 to 06 JUN). XY CHELSEA d. Tim Travers Hawkins, 2019 at ICA (until 06 JUN).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.