SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 03.09.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: THE BALLYMURPHY PRECEDENT + Q&A with director Callum Macrae at Regent Street Cinema (03 SEP 19:30): “Callum Macrae helms a queasily authentic retelling of the fallout from Northern Ireland’s tragic Ballymurphy shootings.” – Cath Clarke, The Guardian.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BALLYMURPHY PRECEDENT + Q&A with director Callum Macrae at Regent Street Cinema (03 SEP 19:30):
- Award-winning director Callum Macrae’s new feature documentary tells the story of the death of eleven innocent people killed by the British Army on a Catholic estate in Belfast in 1971, and the fight by their relatives and survivors to discover the truth.
UNDER THE WIRE + Q&A with Paul Conroy & director Chris Martin at DocHouse (03 SEP 18:30 – Sold Out!):
- On 13 February 2012, two journalists entered war-ravaged Syria. One of them was acclaimed Sunday Times war correspondent, Marie Colvin, known for her fearless journalism. The other was her colleague, photographer Paul Conroy. Only one of them returned.
WHITE RIGHT: MEETING THE ENEMY + Q&A with director Deeyah Khan & journalist Catrin Nye at Frontline Club (03 SEP 19:00 – Sold Out!):
- When Deeyah Khan was six, her father took her to her first anti-racism rally. A Pakistani immigrant to Norway, he promised her that things would get better and that the skinhead gangs that terrorised their family would soon find themselves relics of past prejudices, that tomorrow would be a more tolerant time. Three decades on, and we’re still waiting for tomorrow.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACK PANTHER at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (03 SEP 21:00).
- DAY FOR NIGHT at BFI (03 SEP 18:10).
- DEMOLITION MAN 35mm at The Prince Charles (03 SEP 20:45).
- DO THE RIGHT THING at Picturehouse Central (03 SEP 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- PERSONA at BFI (03 SEP 20:50).
- ROBOT JOX 35mm at The Prince Charles (03 SEP 18:10).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS various venues (AUG to SEP):
- Genesis Cinema: CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 (03 SEP 18:50).
ÉRIC ROHMER’S TALES OF THE FOUR SEASONS at Close-Up (03 to 11 SEP):
- A TALE OF SPRINGTIME (03 SEP 20:15).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (until OCT):
- POSSESSED (1947) 35mm (03 SEP 18:15).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- POOR COW (03 SEP 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Festivals projecting today include:
- I Will Tell International Film Festival (30 AUG to 09 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (31 AUG to 16 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
C’EST LA VIE! at Ciné Lumière (03 SEP 20:40):
- With thirty years of catering under his belt, Max has organised hundreds of parties. So organising a magnificent wedding in a seventeenth century château with a brigade of waiters, cooks, dishwashers, an orchestra, a photographer and all ingredients for a big celebration should be a piece of cake…
DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES at BFI Southbank (03 SEP 18:30 & 20:30):
- Now that Eileen, Maisie and Tony are adults, their childhood memories – and in particular those associated with their father – are inconsistent. While Eileen clings to happier times, her siblings remember his brutal and violent nature. This troubled family must deal with the day-to-day alongside their past.
THE KING at DocHouse (03 SEP 16:30):
- Eugene Jarecki takes a roadtrip across America in Elvis Presley’s 1963 Rolls-Royce to offer a state of the nation epic that tracks the rise and fall of one America’s greatest musical stars. From Memphis to New York, Las Vegas, and beyond, the journey traces the rise and fall of Elvis as a metaphor for the country he left behind.
More films in London this week (A – Z): THE BALLYMURPHY PRECEDENT at DocHouse (03 to 06 SEP). BLACKkKLANSMAN at The Castle Cinema (31 AUG to 13 SEP). BRAGUINO at ICA (01 to 05 SEP). THE CHILDREN ACT at the Phoenix Cinema (31 AUG to 06 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (01 to 05 SEP). COLD WAR at Barbican (31 AUG to 06 AUG). DOUGH at JW3 (02 to 06 SEP). THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES at Watermans (31 AUG to 05 SEP). HEATHERS at The Prince Charles (31 AUG to 06 SEP). MARY SHELLEY at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 SEP).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.