RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
TALKING HEADS: STOP MAKING SENSE d. Jonathan Demme, 1984 at The Five Bells (04 FEB 20:00):
- Deeper Into Movies presents: “Boomboxes, baggy suits, pogoing, pendulum-swinging kneecaps – there will never be another film like STOP MAKING SENSE. Part of this is owed to Talking Heads, a band at the top of their game. But it wouldn’t exist in its dynamic, unique form if it wasn’t for director Jonathan Demme.” – NME
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- VALENTINE’S 2019: Hopelessly in love? Got an unrequited crush (or two)? Think that love’s for the birds? There are enough great Valentine’s Day films & seasons this year to melt even the frostiest of hearts. Read our handy guide to find out what’s on.
- FEBRUARY: our epic roundup of rep seasons & film fests for the month ahead.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Films in London today (A – Z):
- A PRIVATE WAR + Satellite Q&A d. Matthew Heineman, 2018 at Curzon Bloomsbury, Victoria & Wimbledon (04 FEB 18:45).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at DocHouse (04 FEB 20:30).
- JAGTEN aka The Hunt d. Thomas Vinteberg, 2012 at Deptford Cinema (04 FEB 19:30).
- ON HER SHOULDERS d. Alexandria Bombach, 2019 at DocHouse (04 FEB 16:00).
- THE RAFT d. Marcus Lindeen, 2018 at JW3 (04 FEB 14:00).
- RBG d. Julie Cohen & Betsy West, 2018 at DocHouse (04 FEB 14:00).
- SUSPIRIA d. Luca Guadagnino, 2018 at The Prince Charles (04 FEB 13:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- RAGING BULL d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (04 FEB 20:30).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- SIMON OF THE DESERT d. Luis Buñuel, 1965 (04 FEB 20:45).
FORGOTTEN BLACK TV DRAMA at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- JUST LIKE MOHICANS + PANEL d. Faith Isiakpere, 1985 (04 FEB 18:10).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- Antonioni: The Plurality of Artistic Vision panel discussion (04 FEB 18:30).
- ZABRISKIE POINT d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1970 (04 FEB 20:40).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- STELLA DALLAS 35mm d. King Vidor, 1937 (04 FEB 18:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any films festivals in London today…
BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Rio Cinema (04 FEB 14:00 & 20:15):
- Lyrical, poetic, and mysterious, acclaimed South Korean filmmaker Lee Chang-dong’s BURNING expands a Haruki Murakami short story to create a compelling and mysterious world that explores unrequited love and the nature of obsession.
CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (04 FEB 15:40 & 18:30 — Other Picturehouses available!):
- In a courtroom, a young boy named Zain (Zain Al Rafeea) stands before a judge. He asks to sue his own parents for giving him life. The circumstances that have brought him to this point take us on a journey through his poverty-stricken upbringing in Beirut where he lives with his family.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 93QUEEN d. Paula Eiselt, 2018 at DocHouse (01 to 07 FEB). BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE at BFI Southbank (until 07 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (01 to 14 FEB). THE DISTANT BARKING OF DOGS d. Simon Lereng Wilmot, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 07 FEB). DOGMAN d. Matteo Garrone, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (04 to 10 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (until 21 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). THE HOUSE BY THE SEA d. Robert Guédiguian, 2017 at Watermans (01 to 07 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU d. Boots Riley, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). STAN & OLLIE d. Jon S. Baird, 2018 at Watermans (until 07 FEB). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.