SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 04.03.20
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
The Veiled Fang: Lesbian Vampire Erotics Of 70’s Eurohorror talk by Patricia MacCormack + Screening: LE FRISSON DES VAMPIRES d. Jean Rollin, 1971 + Intro by Merlyn Roberts at Helgi’s (04 MAR 19:00):
- World Wide Weird! presents: “In this illustrated talk Patricia MacCormack will introduce the varied manifestations of lesbian vampires in ’70s euro horror including the films of Franco, Larraz, Borowczyk, Grau and with special emphasis on the work of Jean Rollin, with whom the speaker was close friends until his death.”
> MORE Get the RADIANT CIRCUS view of this week’s unmissable events.
Keep RADIANT CIRCUS listing far into the future by taking out a low cost monthly subscription at Patreon: get great rewards & help us continue to build & grow. THANK YOU!
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
Read our epic MARCH roundup of all London’s repertory seasons & festivals.
Read our guide to this year’s BFI Flare LGBTIQ+ Film Festival (18 to 29 MAR). UPDATE: New tickets + screenings released 12 MAR.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A SERIAL KILLER’S GUIDE TO LIFE d. Staten Cousins-Roe, 2019 + Q&A with cast & crew at Harris Academy South Norwood (04 MAR 19:45):
- Screen25 Cinema + Screen Queens present: “One of the most perversely funny features of recent times, A SERIAL KILLER’S GUIDE TO LIFE showcases some of Britain’s best acting talent. DOCTOR WHO’s Katie Brayben is the self-help addict who somehow finds herself on a meandering murder trail, ably assisted by her eccentric life coach (Poppy Roe), when things inevitably spiral out of control.”
NOVA d. Cao Fei, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Everyman Screen On The Green (04 MAR 19:00 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!/Check venue):
- Serpentine Cinema presents: “the UK premiere of artist Cao Fei’s feature-length film Nova. A ‘retro-Sci Fi’ movie made out of the artist’s research into the transformation of Beijing’s Jiuxianqiao (Hong Xia) district, Nova tells the story of a computer scientist attempting to turn humans into digital mediums. The screening will begin with a Q&A between Cao Fei and Hans Ulrich Obrist, Artistic Director of the Serpentine Galleries.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 1917 d. Sam Mendes, 2019 at The David Lean (04 MAR 14:30 & 19:30).
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church Ealing (04 MAR 20:15).
- AND THEN WE DANCED d. Levan Akin, 2019 + Q&A with the director at ICA (04 MAR 20:30).
- BONSAI d. Cristian Jimenez, 2011 presented by Latin American Cinema Nights at Deptford Cinema (04 MAR 20:00).
- CARAMEL d. Nadine Labaki, 2007 presented by T A P E in celebration of International Women’s Day at Catford Mews (04 MAR 20:45).
- THE FORBIDDEN REEL d. Ariel Nasr, 2019 at DocHouse (04 MAR 16:10).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at DocHouse (04 MAR 20:30).
- THE GOOD SOLDIER SCHWEJK d. Christine Edzard, 2018 at Sands Films (04 MAR 19:30 – FREE!).
- I, TONYA d. Craig Gillespie, 2017 presented by Twickenham Cinema Club at The Exchange (04 MAR 19:30).
- THE LADYKILLERS d. Alexander Mackendrick, 1955 at Regent Street Cinema (04 MAR 12:00 & 15:30).
- MIDNIGHT FAMILY d. Luke Lorentzen, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (04 MAR 16:20).
- Minute Offline: Identity Short Film Programme + Live Music + Q&A with filmmakers presented by Minute Offline at Peckham Levels (04 MAR 18:30).
- MISBEHAVIOUR d. Philippa Lowthorpe, 2020 + Q&A with the director + Women’s Liberation Movement member Sally Alexander at Regent Street Cinema (04 MAR 19:30).
- TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 + Q&A with Akua Gyamfi presented by We Are Parable at Rich Mix (04 MAR 18:00).
- VAGABOND d. Agnès Varda, 1985 presented by Leytonstone Film Club at Leytonstone Library (04 MAR 19:45).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
1999 – 2019: EXPLORING 20 YEARS OF SCI-FI at The Prince Charles (2020):
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 (28 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue to details).
AUTOBIOGRAPHY & AUTOFICTION at Ciné Lumière (02 FEB to 31 MAR):
- COUP DE FOUDRE d. Diane Kurys, 1983 (04 MAR 18:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- JAWS d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 + Intro by Justin Johnson (04 MAR 18:15).
THE CINEMA OF JESSICA HAUSNER at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- New Releases: LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 (21 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue for details).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to MAR):
- ACCATTONE d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1961 (04 MAR 20:15).
HER LENS, HIS STORY: FEMALE DIRECTORS & MASCULINITIES at Barbican (26 FEB to 10 MAR):
- THE ASCENT d. Larisa Shepitko, 1977 + Intro by Vlad Strukov (04 MAR 18:20).
JOIN THE #BONGHIVE at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- MOTHER 35mm aka Madeo d. Bong Joon-ho, 2009 (04 MAR 18:10).
RIGHTS AT RISK: YESTERDAY / TOMORROW at DocHouse (06 FEB to 01 MAR):
- PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 (28 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue for details).
TILDA SWINTON at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- THE GARDEN d. Derek Jarman, 1990 (04 MAR 20:45).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Cinema Made In Italy (04 to 10 MAR).
COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 at The Prince Charles (04 MAR 13:15, 15:40 & 21:00):
- “A cosmic nightmare from the minds of H.P. Lovecraft and cult director, Richard Stanley, COLOR OUT OF SPACE follows Nathan Gardner (Nicolas Cage), Theresa Gardner (Joely Richardson) and their three children, (Madeleine Arthur, Brenden Meyer and Julian Hilliard), whose recent retreat to rural life quickly crumbles when a meteorite crashes into their front yard.”
DARK WATERS d. Todd Haynes, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (04 MAR 15:25 & 18:00):
- “A tenacious attorney uncovers a dark secret that connects a growing number of unexplained deaths due to one of the world’s largest corporations. In the process, he risks everything – his future, his family, and his own life – to expose the truth.”
THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MY MOTHER d. Beniamino Barrese, 2019 at ICA (04 MAR – Not screening today/Back tomorrow):
- “As an iconic fashion model during the 1960s, Benedetta Barzini was a muse to Warhol, Dali, Penn and Avedon. As a radical feminist in the 1970s, she fought for the rights and emancipation of women. But at the age of 75, Benedetta has become exhausted with the various roles that life has imposed upon her and decides escape the world of images and disappear for good.”
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 MAR 12:30, 15:00, 18:00 & 20:30):
- “Set in late 18th century France, painter Marianne (Noémie Merlant) is commissioned by an affluent countess to paint the wedding portrait of her sheltered but headstrong daughter Héloïse (Adèle Haenel), in the hope it will find her a wealthy husband. While posing as her hired companion, Marianne is instructed to complete the portrait in secret, observing Héloïse by day and painting her by night. However, as the two women grow closer, their intimacy and attraction begins to blossom, paving the way for a simmering, star-crossed romance.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at Catford Mews (until 05 MAR). FIRST LOVE aka Hatsukoi d. Takashi Miike, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 05 MAR). THE GOOD LIAR d. Bill Condon, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (02 to 08 MAR). JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 05 MAR). THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at The Prince Charles (28 FEB to 05 MAR). LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 at Catford Mews (28 FEB to 05 MAR). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 05 MAR). PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 at Rio Cinema (29 FEB to 05 MAR). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 04 MAR). THE RHYTHM SECTION d. Reed Morano, 2020 at Watermans (28 FEB to 05 MAR). TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG d. Justin Kurzel, 2019 at Rich Mix (28 FEB to 05 MAR). WAITING FOR ANYA d. Ben Cookson, 2019 presented by UKJF at JW3 (01 to 05 MAR).
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward a team of new contributors. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.