RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
RAFIKI d. Wanuri Kahiu, 2018 + INTRO by Grace Barber-Plentie at The Lexi (04 APR 18:40):
- “Brimming with Afropop aesthetics and the dreamy intimacy of first love, RAFIKI is a rallying indictment against Kenya’s homophobic laws. Set against the vibrant backdrop of the hustle and bustle of Nairobi, two very different girls must choose between their illegal love or the safety of conformity.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- We’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for APRIL. Our featured attraction of the month is BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET at BFI Southbank (APR).
- Filmmaker Gerry Maguire introduces a new series of sci-fi screenings where cult classics set in 2019 have become our DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.
- The yearlong investigation of genre cinema continues at Austrian Cultural Forum London, shifting focus from HORROR to HISTORICAL PERIOD DRAMAS (02 APR to 30 MAY).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Experimental Visions and Neurodiversity: JIGSAW d. Robina Rose, 1980 + DISCUSSION with the director at BFI Southbank (04 APR 18:20):
- “Timing with World Autism Awareness Week, we present Jigsaw, an observational, experimental film which seeks to enter into the perceptual preoccupations/obsessions of the autistic child.”
YULI – THE CARLOS ACOSTA STORY d. Icíar Bollaín, 2018 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (04 APR 20:25):
- “Spanish actress-turned-director Icíar Bolláin (who appeared in Víctor Erice’s EL SUR), turns her lens to the true story of Cuban dancer Carlos Acosta, who was the first black dancer to perform key ballet roles and principal dancer at the Royal Ballet for many years.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Wild Card Brewery (04 APR 19:15).
- ALL THE WILD HORSES d. Ivo Marloh, 2017 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (04 APR 20:00).
- Enclosures and Desertion works by Dan Walwin at The Whitechapel Gallery (04 APR 19:00).
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The David Lean (04 APR 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (04 APR 17:00).
- THE GREAT GAME d. Jon Beardmore at Whirled Cinema (04 APR 20:00).
- Kino’s Short Film Open-Mic Night at Candid Arts (04 APR 19:00).
- MID90S + AFTERPARTY at Everyman Kings Cross (04 APR 19:30).
- MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2019 at ICA (04 APR 15:00).
- PET SEMATARY d. Kevin Kölsch & Dennis Widmyer, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (04 APR 20:50).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (04 APR 13:20).
- STOLEN HOLIDAY d. Michael Curtiz, 1937 presented by Kennington Talkies at The Cinema Museum (04 APR 19:30).
- UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (04 APR 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS at The Prince Charles (until 03 JUN):
- LE BONHEUR d. Agnès Varda, 1965 (04 APR 18:20).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (APR):
- ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS d. Howard Hawks, 1939 (04 APR 14:30).
- THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN d. Jack Arnold, 1957 (04 APR 20:50).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (until 21 APR):
- THE SACRIFICE d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1986 (04 APR 20:15).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- The Anatomy of Kubrick panel discussion (04 APR 18:10).
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (04 APR 20:20 + joint ticket with The Anatomy Of Kubrick).
MARTIN SCORSESE SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 18 JUL):
- GOODFELLAS 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 (04 APR 20:30).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- NOBODY KNOWS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2004 (04 APR 18:00).
SECRETS, MYSTERY, ABSURDITY: THE WORLD OF DAVID LYNCH at Genesis Cinema (02 to 25 APR 2019):
- DAVID LYNCH: THE ART LIFE d. Rick Barnes & Olivia Neergaard-Holm, 2016 (04 APR 18:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- The Discover Film Awards (04 to 07 APR).
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (04 to 18 APR).
- London Games Festival (02 to 14 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (04 to 15 APR).
- Taiwan Film Festival (03 to 14 APR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (27 MAR to 07 APR).
BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY d. Steve Sullivan, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 APR 21:20 – LAST CHANCE!):
- “’80s and ’90s Manchester music fixture Frank Sidebottom hid a creative giant who was both defined and smothered by that whopping papier-mâché head. BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY unmasks him.”
LORDS OF CHAOS d. Jonas Åkerlund, 2018 at The Prince Charles (04 APR 13:00):
- “Oslo, 1987: Seventeen-year-old Euronymous (Rory Culkin) is determined to escape his idyllic Scandinavian hometown and create “true Norwegian black metal” with his band, MAYHEM.”
OUT OF BLUE d. Carol Morley, 2018 at Barbican (04 APR 20:45):
- “Director Carol Morley’s (DREAMS OF A LIFE, THE FALLING) latest film is a stylish, cosmic murder mystery, in which a police officer must discover who killed a young astrophysicist.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 FACES at Ciné Lumière (30 MAR to 27 APR). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE d. Catherine Corsini, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (01 to 07 APR). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Rio Cinema (29 MAR to 04 APR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huer, 2018 at DocHouse (until 03 APR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). EVERYBODY KNOWS d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at Watermans (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 04 APR). HUMOR ME d. Sam Hoffman, 2017 presented by UKJF at JW3 (29 MAR to 04 APR). THE IMAGE YOU MISSEDd. Dónal Foreman, 2018 at ICA (until 04 APR). THE PANAMA PAPERS d. Alex Winters, 2018 at DocHouse (29 MAR to 04 APR). SHARKWATER: EXTINCTION d. Rob Stewart, 2018 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR to 04 APR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 04 APR). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 04 APR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 MAR to 04 APR).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.