RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: World Wide Weird! presents a Double Bill: THE LIVING DEAD GIRL + THE IRON ROSE + Q&A with star Francoise Pascal at The King & Queen (04 AUG 17:00 – Free!/Donation requested): “THE IRON ROSE is a haunting experience – a macabre tone poem about youth and age, love and nihilism, nostalgia and superstition, and, above all, life and death.” – SCREEN ANARCHY.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Double Bill: THE LIVING DEAD GIRL + THE IRON ROSE + Q&A with star Francoise Pascal at The King & Queen (04 AUG 17:00 – Free!/Donation requested):
- World Wide Weird! presents: A very exciting double bill of films by the unique French fantasy director Jean Rollin with a very rare opportunity to listen to star Francoise Pascal discussing her experinces on the film and her impressions of Jean Rollin.
IN THE INTENSE NOW at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 AUG 15:00):
- Made following the discovery of amateur footage shot in China in 1966 during the first and most radical stage of the Cultural Revolution, IN THE INTENSE NOW speaks to the fleeting nature of moments of great intensity. Scenes of China are set alongside archival images of the events of 1968 in France, Czechoslovakia, and, to a lesser extent, Brazil.
RAWHEAD REX at Genesis Cinema (04 AUG 21:30 – Free!):
- Presented by Arrow Video: Join Genesis and Arrow Video for the Clive Barker penned fantasy horror RAWHEAD REX. “A U.S. historian (David Dukes) takes his wife (Kelly Piper) and son to an Irish town where the oozing devil incarnate dwells.”
straight 8 2018 at BFI Southbank (04 AUG 15:45):
- The best 28 short films of the 2018 global competition – each made on one cartridge of super 8mm film, with only in-camera editing. Eight of these are fresh from the 13th annual Cannes Film Festival premiere, and 20 more will be seen for the very first time – even by the people who made them.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- African Odysseys presents: New Wave at BFI Southbank (04 AUG 12:00).
- EXTINCTION at ICA (04 AUG 14:25).
- GREGORY’S GIRL at BFI (04 AUG 20:45).
- LABYRINTH at Backyard Cinema (04 AUG 12:30).
- MAURICE at Picturehouse Central (04 AUG 14:00).
- ROBOCOP at Everyman Screen On The Green (04 AUG 23:30).
- SUMMER 1993 at Regent Street Cinema (04 AUG 14:00, 16:00, 18:00 & 20:00).
- VELVET GOLDMINE 35mm at the Prince Charles (04 AUG 18:00).
- WAYNE’S WORLD + WAYNE’S WORLD 2 35mm + a cold beer at the Prince Charles (04 AUG 18:00).
- YELLOW SUBMARINE at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (04 AUG 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY new ‘unrestored’ 70mm print (04 AUG 14:15).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (AUG to OCT):
- GRAND HOTEL 35mm (04 AUG 16:15 – Sold Out!).
- An Afternoon with Joan Crawford illustrated talks (04 AUG 12:00 – Sold Out!).
PINTER ON SCREEN: POWER, SEX & POLITICS at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- LANGRISHE GO DOWN (04 AUG 18:30).
REBEL WITH A CAUSE at Bertha DocHouse (until 12 AUG):
SUMMER FILMS at House of Vans (until 26 AUG – Free! / No booking required):
- THE ENDLESS SUMMER (04 AUG 15:00 & 17:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today. But that means we’ve probably missed something…
> Let us know in the comments below.
EL MAR LA MAR at ICA (04 AUG 18:30):
- Influenced by the Sensory Ethnography Lab’s advocacy of innovative combinations of aesthetics and ethnography, EL MAR LA MAR sits between experimental anthropological essay and imagistic film poem. The 16mm footage deliberately overwhelms with open space, massive skies and landscapes shimmering in deathly heat.
PUNK VOYAGE at DocHouse (04 AUG 18:30):
- This invigorating new documentary follows Finnish Punk rock band Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät (PKN) as they face the glory and struggle that comes with fame. After becoming celebrities in Finland, the radical four continue to dominate worldwide, playing nearly 300 gigs in 16 countries.
SICILIAN GHOST STORY at ArtHouse Couch End (04 AUG 18:00 & 20:45):
- Set in a little Sicilian village at the edge of a forest, this is the story of adolescent innocence and painful reality. Giuseppe (Fernandez) is the son of a man with mafia connections who has turned informer. One day, this 13 year-old boy vanishes, kidnapped by those his father crossed. Luna (Jedlikowska), his classmate who loves him, refuses to accept his mysterious disappearance.
More films in London this week (A – Z): APOSTASY at BFI (03 to 09 AUG). THE APPARITION at Phoenix Cinema (03 to 09 AUG). COCOTE at ICA (03 to 09 AUG). DAMASCUS COVER at Rio Cinema (03 to 09 AUG). GENERATION WEALTH at JW3 (05 to 09 AUG). IN THE FADE at Whirled Cinema (06 to 12 AUG). MADAME at JW3 (06 to 09 AUG). MAURICE at BFI (03 to 09 AUG). PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF DESIRE at DocHouse (03 to 08 AUG). TRACKING EDITH at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 to o9 AUG).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get our SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.