RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SPRINTER d. Storm Saulter, 2018 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (04 SEP 20:30):
- “Akeem Sharp, nicknamed the Rasta Rocket for his once-in-a generation speed, is set to be the island’s next big track-and field sensation. Akeem hopes his rise in athletics will take him to the U.S. to reunite with his mother, who has supported the family while living as an illegal resident for over a decade. But Akeem’s rising star is weighed down by turmoil at home.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre, EC4Y (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019).
[THU 24 OCT] FRAME BY FRAME: There’s more to animation than princesses & talking animals (well, we’ve got a cute ninja deer, but you know what we mean?). These animated shorts tell bold stories of both fact & fiction.
> Want LUNCHTIME FILM in your location? Get in touch.
Online: Richmond Film Society announces their 57th season // Plan ahead with our epic roundup of September’s repertory seasons & festivals // We interview student curator Viknesh Kobinathan about his season ON THE EDGE OF THE FOLD // Raindance Means Raindance.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
LORNA DOONE d. Maurice Tourneur, 1922 + Intro/Live Accompaniment at The Cinema Museum (04 SEP 19:30):
- Kennington Bioscope presents: “Based on R.D. Blackmore’s famous novel from 1869, the 1922 screen version of Lorna Doone was one of the films made by French director Maurice Tourneur after his move to the United States.”
UNDER THE SKIN 35mm d. Carine Adler, 1997 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (04 SEP 20:20):
- Woman With A Movie Camera presents: “Carine Adler’s only feature-length film, UNDER THE SKIN follows two sisters who deal with the death of their mother in very different ways. While the eldest, Rose (Claire Rushbrook), moves on fairly quickly and finds comfort in her stable, married life, Iris (Samantha Morton) spirals out of control.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM 35mm d. Richard Lester, 1966 at Regent Street Cinema (04 SEP 12:00 & 15:30).
- ALIEN 4K d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 20:30).
- ALL ABOUT EVE d. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1950 presented by Twickenham Cinema Club at The Exchange (04 SEP 19:30).
- BLADE RUNNER: FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Five Miles (04 SEP 19:00 – FREE!).
- ENTER THE DRAGON [Uncut] 35mm d. Robert Clouse, 1973 at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 20:45).
- HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at ICA (04 SEP 14:50).
- HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at DocHouse (04 SEP 20:30).
- HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at Barbican (04 SEP 20:45).
- IN FABRIC d. Peter Strickland, 2018 + Extended Intro by Jane Giles presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (04 SEP 19:45 – Use promo code “CIRCUS19” to book & save).
- JT LEROYd. Justin Kelly, 2018 presented by #WomenInFilm2019 at Genesis Cinema (04 SEP 18:00).
- NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1984 presented by No Planet B at Clapham Picturehouse (04 SEP 20:00).
- TOO LATE TO DIE YOUNG aka Tarde para morir joven d. Dominga Sotomayor Castillo, 2018 part of Latin American Cinema Nightss at Deptford Cinema (04 SEP 20:00).
- TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (04 SEP 18:30).
- WAITING FOR THE CARNIVAL d. Marcelo Gomes, 2019 at DocHouse (04 AUG 16:30)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (SEP):
- THE GREEN RAY d. Eric Rohmer, 1986 + Intro by Geoff Andrew (04 SEP 18:15).
IN THE EYES OF THE LAW at Ciné Lumière (25 AUG to 02 OCT):
- Z d. Costa-Gavras, 1969 (04 SEP 19:00).
IT’S… MONTY PYTHON AT 50 at BFI Southbank (SEP):
- Michael Palin & John Cleese’s Pick of Python Influences: Q5 + THE GOON SHOW: TALES OF MEN’S SHIRTS + NOT ONLY… BUT ALSO d. various (04 SEP 18:10).
- THE MISSIONARY UK Restoration Premiere (04 SEP 20:45).
NEWMAN’S OWN: THE EARLY FILMS OF PAUL NEWMAN at Regent Street Cinema (01 SEP to 27 OCT):
- HOMBRE d. Martin Ritt, 1967 (04 SEP 19:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (ongoing):
SUMMER FILM NIGHTS at The Italian Cultural Institute (AUG – FREE!):
- THE START UP aka Accendi il tuo futuro d. Alessandro d’Alatri, 2017 (04 SEP 18:30 – FREE!).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Federico Fellini’s Trilogy of Loneliness – LA STRADA d. Federico Fellini, 1954 (04 SEP 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (04 SEP 13:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- I Will Tell International Film Festival (30 AUG to 09 SEP).
- Open City Documentary Festival (04 to 10 SEP).
ANIARA d. Pella Kågerman & Hugo Lilja, 2018 at Rio Cinema (04 SEP 18:30):
- “Apocalyptic, darkly poetic and visually stunning, ANIARA balances a spectacular sense of intergalactic dread with matters more mundane as it imagines the existential crisis of a human race without a planet to call home. The alternative? A shopping mall in space.”
MEMORY: THE ORIGINS OF ALIEN d. Alexandre O. Philippe, 2019 at DocHouse (04 SEP 14:30):
- “Everybody remembers the inspired explosive shocker scene in Alien, but not everyone knows the complex and surprising story of the film’s journey. Dan O’Bannon’s script, combined with H.R. Giger’s artwork were the creative seeds of the film, but there are deeper roots in myth and art that reach further back in time. Interviews with people close to, and involved in, the making of Alien recall the excitement of bringing it all to life, as well as lively anecdotes from the iconic scene.”
THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 SEP 12:20, 15:00 & 20:45):
- “One of Britain’s most unique filmmakers Joanna Hogg (ARCHIPELAGO, UNRELATED) presents a deeply personal examination of her own youthful experiences in this beautifully crafted, Martin Scorsese produced portrait of self-discovery, THE SOUVENIR.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A FAITHFULL MAN d. Louis Garrel, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 05 SEP). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Waterman’s (31 AUG to 05 SEP). BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at BFI Southbank (30 AUG to 05 SEP – Check website for 35mm screenings). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at The Prince Charles (30 AUG to 04 SEP). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Prince Charles (30 AUG to 05 SEP). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 03 SEP). INNA DE YARD d. Peter Webber, 2019 at ICA (30 AUG to 05 SEP). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 04 SEP). MRS. LOWRY AND SON d. Adrian Noble, 2019 at JW3 (01 to 11 SEP). ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 04 SEP – Selected screening times). PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodovar, 2019 at The Lexi (until 11 SEP). SEAHORSE d. Jeanie Finlay, 2019 at DocHouse (30 AUG to 05 SEP). WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 at The Prince Charles (30 AUG to 03 SEP).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.