RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Hetain Patel & Amy May: DON’T LOOK at Rich Mix (04 & 05 OCT 19:30): “Crosses genres and defies categorisation – a unique collaboration between two unique artists.”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DANIEL HOPE – THE SOUND OF LIFE + SCREENTALK + LIVE MUSIC with Daniel Hope at Barbican (04 OCT 20:45):
- A leading figure in a new generation of classical musicians, London’s own Daniel Hope will speak and perform violin following a screening of a new documentary about the life of his family.
FACES PLACES + PANEL at Genesis Cinema (04 OCT 18:30):
- The Birds’ Eye View’s 4 film/5-city #ReclaimTheFrame film influencer project is a mission to bring ever-greater audiences to films by women to build a more balanced film future. The programme continues with the latest from legendary luminary Agnès Varda FACES, PLACES.
Hetain Patel & Amy May: DON’T LOOK at Rich Mix (04 & 05 OCT 19:30):
- A hugely original collision of film, performance and live music, DON’T LOOK is a playful and subversive journey into image, identity, language and love in contemporary Britain.
INSTRUMENT at House Of Vans (04 OCT 19:30 – Free!)
- Take Apart Your Head and Dischord Records present an exclusive free screening of Jem Cohen’s music doc INSTRUMENT, chronicling the 10 year collaboration between the filmmaker and Washington D.C. band, Fugazi.
LOOK A LITTLE MORE. KATJA NOVITSKOVA’S ART IN SIX EPISODES + Q&A with director Piibe Kolka at Regent Street Cinema (04 OCT 20:30):
- UK Premiere presented by ECADC, Estonia 100 & Outset Estonia: The creative doc by Piibe Kolka offers a rare close-up look into the world of internationally-rising contemporary artist Katja Novitskova (b. 1984, Estonia).
ONE NOTE AT A TIME + Q&A with director Renée Edwards at Genesis Cinema (04 OCT 21:00):
- #WomenInFilm2018 present Renée Edwards’ moving documantary on Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath and the impact it had on the soul of New Orleans – it’s jazz community, ONE NOTE AT A TIME.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALONE IN BERLIN + INTRO/Q&A by Kurt Barling presented by Talkies Community Cinema at The Dugdale Centre (04 OCT 19:45).
- APOSTASY at David Lean Cinema (04 OCT 14:30 & 19:30).
- CARAVAGGIO at BF (04 OCT 18:40).
- F FOR FAKE at BFI (04 OCT 20:50).
- IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at ICA (04 OCT 13:20).
- SEARCHING at Prince Charles (04 Oct 16:00 & 20:45).
- WONDERLAND 35mm + RECORDED INTRO by Emily Beecham at BFI (04 OCT 18:10).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (04 OCT 20:01).
FASHION ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière (14 SEP to 03 OCT):
- THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ANDRÉ (04 OCT 16:00).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (until OCT):
- I SAW WHAT YOU DID 35mm (04 Oct 18:00).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- RAW (04 OCT 18:30 – £1 PCC Member’s Screening).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- BILLY LIAR (04 OCT 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Raindance Film Festival (26 SEP to 07 OCT).
THE OSLO DIARIES at DocHouse (04 OCT 20:30):
- In 1992, with Israeli-Palestinian relations at an all-time low and any communication punishable with jail time, a small group of Israelis and Palestinians gathered in Oslo, Norway– secretly and against the law. These meetings came to be known as The Oslo Accords and would have changed the Middle East forever – yet they were never officially sanctioned and were only chronicled by the negotiators’ diaries.
SKATE KITCHEN at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 OCT 18:30 & 20:50):
- In the first narrative feature from THE WOLFPACK director Crystal Moselle, Camille, an introverted teenage skateboarder (newcomer Rachelle Vinberg) from Long Island, meets and befriends an all-girl, New York City-based skateboarding crew called Skate Kitchen.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMERICAN ANIMALS at Prince Charles (28 Sep to OCT 04). A SIMPLE FAVOUR at Rio Cinema (28 SEP to 04 OCT). THE BIG LEBOWSKI at Prince Charles (28 Sep to 03 NOV). BLACKkKLANSMAN at JW3 (28 SEP to 04 OCT). FACES PLACES at Ciné Lumière (28 SEP to 04 OCT). NUREYEV: ALL THE WORLD HIS STAGE at DocHouse (29 SEP to 03 OCT). THE SEAGULL at Watermans (28 SEP to 04 OCT). THIS IS CONGO at The Montpelier (30 SEP to 10 OCT). THE SON at ICA (28 SEP to 02 OCT). WAJIB at ArtHouse Crouch End (28 SEP to 04 OCT). THE WIFE at Phoenix Cinema (28 SEP to 04 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.