RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING + Q&A with director RaMell Ross at ICA (04 DEC 20:30): “As a documentary, it’s informative, emotional and intriguing. As a record of African-American imagery, it’s not just an evaluation of “how we are seen,” it’s also a corrective that replaces stereotypes with visual poetry.” – Odie Henderson at RogerEbert.com.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
Before tonight’s screening of CALENDAR (04 DEC 20:15) at Close-Up Film Centre, we interviewed guest curator Andrew Gutman about programme UP NORTH & UNDERGROUND > HERE.
We’ve also interviewed guest curator Eleonora Pesci about THE PURSUIT OF WHOLENESS, a programme at Close-Up Film Centre which pays tribute to seminal avant-garde filmmaker Gregory Markopoulos (07 to 09 DEC) > HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A FANTASTIC WOMAN + Skype Q&A with director Sebastián Leilo at Rich Mix (04 DEC 18:00):
- Welcome Sessions presents: A groundbreaking, captivating and deeply humane story about a trans woman’s fight for acceptance, anchored by a powerhouse central performance from rising star Daniela Vega.
HAKOB HOVNATANYAN + CARNIVAL NIGHT + INTRO by
Peter Bradshaw at ICA (04 DEC 18:45):
- In association with Kino Klassika, the ICA presents the UK premiere of a new restoration of Sergei Parajanov’s influential short film HAKOB HOVNATANYAN, followed by Kino Klassika’s annual Christmas screening of Eldar Ryazanov’s 1950s musical comedy, CARNIVAL NIGHT.
HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING + Q&A with director RaMell Ross at ICA (04 DEC 20:30):
- Dazzling and sun-drenched, Hale County This Morning, This Evening is an innovative, impressionistic portrait of contemporary life in Hale County, Alabama. Constructed from a series of fleeting, quotidian moments – church services, basketball practice and family gatherings – RaMell Ross’ careful, considered project was filmed over five years.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ASHES & DIAMONDS presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (04 DEC 20:00).
- DEAD SOULS Part 1 at ICA (04 DEC 12:20).
- MY HERO ACADEMIA: TWO HEROES at Genesis Cinema (04 DEC 20:50 – also English dub 05 DEC 15:30).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Picturehouse Central (04 DEC 16:00).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at DocHouse (04 DEC 16:30).
- SON OF THE BRIDE + Q&A with author Adam Feinstein presented by Wimbledon Film Club at HMV Curzon (04 DEC 20:30).
- THE SURREAL LIVES OF BRIAN GRIFFIN at The Horse Hospital (04 DEC 19:00).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Regent Street Cinema (04 DEC 18:00).
- VS. at The David Lean (04 DEC 19:30).
- THE WAGES OF FEAR at BFI (04 DEC 20:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- ETHEL & ERNEST – A Tribute to Roger Mainwood (04 DEC 18:05).
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (30 NOV to 27 DEC):
- WHITE CHRISTMAS (04 DEC 12:35).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (04 DEC 13:10 & 18:00).
- CAROL 35mm (04 DEC 15:15).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL (04 DEC 16:00).
- ELF Quote-A-Long (04 DEC 18:10).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL Sing-A-Long (04 DEC 20:45).
- THE HOLIDAY (04 DEC 21:00).
THE CHRISTMAS LABYRINTH at Backyard Cinema (until 22 DEC):
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- MY MAN GODFREY (04 DEC 18:00).
- BFI Screen Epiphany: Nick Helm introduces THE NAKED GUN (04 DEC 18:15).
- THE GREAT DICTATOR + INTRO by Spencer Chaplin (04 DEC 20:30).
UP NORTH & UNDERGROUND at Close-Up (03 to 04 DEC):
- CALENDAR + INTRO by Jonathan Romney (04 DEC 20:15).
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS interview with curator Andrew Gutman HERE.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- ArteKino Festival (01 to 31 DEC – various venues & online).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Film Week (04 to 10 DEC).
- London International Animation Festival (30 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Migration Film Festival (29 NOV to 05 DEC).
THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at Phoenix Cinema (04 DEC 14:10 & 18:30):
- The astonishing story of three men who make the chance discovery, at the age of 19, that they are identical triplets, separated at birth and adopted to different parents. The trio’s joyous reunion in 1980 catapults them to fame but it also sets in motion a chain of events that unearths an extraordinary and disturbing secret.
WARU at Rio Cinema (04 DEC 18:30):
- A groundbreaking production from eight female Māori filmmakers, WARU is the story of a small New Zealand town coming to terms with a bitter tragedy – the death of a small boy, Waru, at the hands of his carer.
THE WILD PEAR TREE at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 DEC 12:45 & 19:30):
- Turkish master Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s latest feature is ingrained with literary references that touch on existential and philosophical questions, such as the place of religion in our lives, while also rendering a sensitive and distinctive portrait of young people in contemporary Turkey.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- CLIMAX at ICA (30 NOV to 05 DEC). COLD WAR at ICA (30 NOV to 06 DEC). DISOBEDIENCE at JW3 (30 NOV to 13 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (until 06 DEC). POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (until 06 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at ICA (until 06 DEC). RAMS at Barbican (until 06 DEC). SO HELP ME GOD at DocHouse (30 NOV to 06 DEC). THE RIDER at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 DEC). SHOPLIFTERS at Ciné Lumière (until 03 JAN). WIDOWS at The Castle Cinema (30 NOV to 04 DEC). THE WORKSHOP at Watermans (30 NOV to 05 DEC).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.