RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE KING AND THE MOCKINGBIRD at Phoenix Cinema (05 JAN 11:00):
- Widely considered one of the best animated features of all time, and certainly a masterpiece of French animation, the Prix Louis Delluc-winning Le Roi et l’Oiseau has been cited by Studio Ghibli as a profound influence on their work.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Blinking Buzzards – The quarterly meeting of the UK Buster Keaton Society at The Cinema Museum (05 JAN 16:00):
- After a selection of Keaton shorts and a break, the second half will be a screening of SHERLOCK JR. (1924). Buster plays a film theatre projectionist in love with a beautiful girl (Kathryn McGuire).
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AN ELEPHANT SITTING STILL at ICA (05 JAN 18:50). BLACKkKLANSMAN at Barbican (05 JAN 18:00). DRIVE at Everyman Screen On The Green (05 JAN 23:30). THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES at Barbican (05 JAN 15:10). FACES PLACES at ICA (05 JAN 12:10). KHRUSTALYOV, MY CAR! at ICA (05 JAN 16:00). MANDY at The Prince Charles (05 JAN 11:20). MÜSLÜM at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 JAN 16:10). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (05 JA 12:05). PURPLE RAIN at The Prince Charles (05 JAN 21:00). SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (05 JAN 14:05). THE VIRGIN SUICIDES & LOST IN TRANSLATION 35mm at The Prince Charles (05 JAN 20:45). WESTERN at Barbican (05 JAN 15:25). YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE at Barbican (05 JAN 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AKIRA KUROSAWA: SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (05 JAN to 13 APR):
- DRUNKEN ANGEL aka Yoidore tenshi 35mm (05 JAN 16:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- THE PANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925 + Carl Davis score) (05 JAN 18:20).
CLOSE-UP ON JASUJIRō OZU at Close-Up (until 13 JAN):
- EARLY SUMMER (05 JAN 20:00).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF ALEXANDER KORDA: BRITAIN’S MOVIE MOGUL at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (05 JAN 13:30).
- THINGS TO COME (05 JAN 16:00).
- THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES 35mm (05 JAN 20:40).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- Laurel and Hardy Shorts 2 (05 JAN 15:30).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
WALT DISNEY SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (05 JAN to 23 MAR):
- PINOCCHIO (1940) (05 JAN 12:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today…
CALIFORNIA TYPEWRITER at DocHouse (05 JAN 18:30):
- In an age where we consume, upgrade and have machines that aren’t built to last, Tom Hanks loves typewriters. And he’s not alone. In Doug Nichol’s doc, we meet a man who creates sculptures out of typewriters, another who has spent the most part of his life repairing typewriters, and a typewriter orchestra.
THE FAVOURITE at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 JAN 12:40, 15:20, 18:00 & 20:40):
- A triple threat of acting talent drives this acid period drama of courtly scheming. Olivia Colman is Queen Anne, a capricious and sickly ruler led by the nose by Rachel Weisz’s courtier Lady Sarah. Abigail (Emma Stone) is a disenfranchised noblewoman who quickly sets about regaining her position by wheedling her way into the Queen’s favours.
ONE CUT OF THE DEAD aka Kamera o tomeru na! at The Prince Charles (05 JAN 18:35):
- The film opens in a run-down, abandonad warehouse where a film crew are making a zombie film… Yet, this is no ordinary warehouse. It’s been said that it’s the site of military experiments… Out of nowhere, real zombies arrive and terrorize the crew!
THE PASSENGER aka Professione: Reporter at BFI Southbank (05 JAN 15:10, 17:50 & 20:35):
- When David Locke (Jack Nicholson) impulsively exchanges identities with a businessman he finds dead in a North African hotel room, he believes he’s starting anew. But passing himself off as someone else doesn’t mean he’s escaping the past…
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 1985 at Rio Cinema (04 to 10 JAN). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE at Ciné Lumière (04 to 17 JAN). A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). FREE SOLO at BFI (until 10 JAN). THE JUDGE at JW3 (06 to 17 JAN). RBG at JW3 (04 to 16 JAN). RETURN OF THE HERO at Waterman’s (04 to 10 JAN). SHOPLIFTERS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bain at Ciné Lumière (04 to 16 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Lexi (04 to 10 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 09 JAN). WIDOWS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). THE WORKSHOP at Whirled Cinema (07 to 13 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.