RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
IMPERIAL BLUE d. Dan Moss, 2019 + Q&A with the director & cinematographer Ezequiel Romero at Rio Cinema (05 FEB 18:30):
- “The future is not for sale. With stunning cinematography and a highly-original narrative that spans three continents director Dan Moss’s IMPERIAL BLUE is a fantasy-thriller tale of greed, betrayal, and self-fulfilling prophecies – and a triumph of ambitious independent filmmaking.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We’ve posted our epic roundup of February’s rep seasons & fests.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2020 at Phoenix Cinema (05 FEB 19:30).
- THE APOLLO OF GAZA d. Nicolas Wadimoff, 2018 + Talk/Q&A with the director at SOAS (05 FEB 18:45).
- BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2018 at ICA (05 FEB 16:30).
- BAIT + Short: THE MAN WHO NEEDED A TRAFFIC LIGHT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (05 FEB 19:45).
- BLITHE SPIRIT d. David Lean, 1945 presented by Twickenham Film Club at The Exchange (05 FEB 19:30).
- BLOOD RAIN d. Jorge Navas, 2009 part of Latin America Cinema Night at Deptford Cinema (05 FEB 20:00).
- BUTTERFLY d. Alessandro Cassigoli & Casey Kauffman, 2018 at DocHouse (05 FEB 14:00).
- DARKNESS VISIBLE d. Neil Biswas, 2019 + Q&A presented by Tongues On Fire at Harrow Arts Centre (05 FEB 19:00).
- JOKER d. Todd Phillips, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (05 FEB 20:50).
- JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (05 FEB 18:30).
- THE KINGMAKER d. Lauren Greenfield, 2019 at DocHouse (05 FEB 20:30).
- THE MOUNTAIN d. Edward Dmytryk, 1956 at Regent Street Cinema (05 FEB 12:00 & 15:30).
- THE TWO LIVES OF LI ERMAO d. Jia Yuchuan, 2019 + Q&A with Dr Yu and Dr Libby Saxton at Queen Mary University (05 FEB 15:15 – FREE!).
- XY CHELSEA d. Tim Travers Hawkins, 2019 at Frontline Club (05 FEB 19:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 (05 FEB 21:05).
BEST OF 2019 at Ciné Lumière (FEB to MAR):
- PAIN AND GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 (05 FEB 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- SOUTH, SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC 35mm d. Trans Atlantic Film Syndicate-Frank Hurley, 1919 + Intro by Bryony Dixon + Live piano accompaniment by Meg Morley (05 FEB 18:20 – Currently looking SOLD OUT! Check venue).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- ON THE WATERFRONT 4K d. Elia Kazan, 1954 (05 FEB 20:45).
- Talk: Re-considering Kazan: An Illustrated Talk by Geoff Andrew + A LETTER TO ELIA d. Martin Scorsese & Kent Jones, 2010 (05 FEB 18:10).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to FEB):
- LA STRADA d. Federico Fellini, 1954 (05 FEB 20:15).
FIND YOUR MUSE at Catford Mews (FEB):
- APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOUR d. Desiree Akhavan, 2014 (05 FEB 19:00).
HAPPINESS IS A STATE OF MIND: JOY & DESPAIR IN JAPANESE CINEMA at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- KAKEGURUI – COMPULSIVE GAMBLER aka Eiga: Kakegurui d. Hanabusa Tsutomu, 2019 (05 FEB 18:20).
- THE ACTOR aka Haiyu kameoka takuji d. Yokohama Satoko, 2015 (05 FEB 20:40).
THE OSCARS – AND THE NOMINEES ARE… at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- THE IRISHMAN d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 (05 FEB 17:00).
THE SAFDIE BROTHERS at The Prince Charles (JAN):
- UNCUT GEMS 35mm d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 (until 06 FEB).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Women Over Fifty Film Festival On Tour (05 FEB – Roehampton).
BAIT d Mark Jenkin, 2019 + Short: TRAVELOGUE (1920s Archival Footage) at BFI Southbank (05 FEB 18:30 & 20:40):
- “Martin (Edward Rowe) is a fisherman without a boat since his brother repurposed their father’s vessel for tourist trips. As he struggles to buy his own boat he must also cope with family rivalry and the influx of London money, stag parties and holiday homes in his picturesque Cornish harbour village. Summer brings simmering tensions to a head, with tragic consequences.”
THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 FEB 13:00, 15:30, 18:15 & 20:45):
- “Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson play Victorian lightkeepers sticking out a four-week stint on a jagged windswept island. Thomas is the grizzled, demonic older man who is supposed to be training the younger Ephraim. Yet there is little guidance in their increasingly drunken meals or in Thomas’ flinty banter. As these sea dogs’ grog runs low and phantoms begin to beset the island, this deliciously gothic thriller becomes ever-more distinctive, compelling, and wild.”
QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (05 FEB 12:40, 15:15, 18:10 & 20:50):
- “While on a forgettable first date together in Ohio, a black man and a black woman, are pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The situation escalates, with sudden and tragic results, when the man kills the police officer in self-defence. Terrified and in fear for their lives, the man, a retail employee, and the woman, a criminal defence lawyer, are forced to go on the run. But the incident is captured on video and goes viral, and the couple unwittingly become a symbol of trauma, terror, grief and pain for people across the country.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at ICA (until 06 FEB). BOMBSHELL d. Jay Roach, 2019 at Catford Mews (until 06 FEB). CHINA LOVE d. Olivia Martin-McGuire, 2018 at DocHouse (until 06 FEB). ECHO d. Amikam Kovner, 2018 presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (03 to 06 FEB). THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 at Rio Cinema (until 06 FEB). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 15 FEB). MISS AMERICANA: TAYLOR SWIFT d. Lana Wilson, 2020 at The Prince Charles (31 JAN to 06 FEB). ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 FEB). SEBERG d. Benedict Andrews, 2019 at Watermans (31 JAN to 06 FEB). SHOW ME THE PICTURE: THE STORY OF JIM MARSHALL d. Alfred George Bailey, 2019 at DocHouse (31 JAN to 06 FEB). TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at DocHouse (31 JAN to 06 FEB). UNCUT GEMS d. Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, 2019 at ICA (until 06 FEB).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.