SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 05.03.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2019 + PANEL + POETRY WORKSHOP at Genesis Cinema (05 MAR 18:30):
- Birds Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents: “Maggie Gyllenhaal stars as a kindergarten teacher and poet fed up with her career, her oblivious husband and teenage kids who largely ignore her. When she discovers that a five-year-old in her class may be a poetic prodigy, she becomes fascinated and tries to protect him from neglectful parents.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NOW BOOKING: You’re invited to the private view of BLACKOUT, an exhibition of barely moving images at Ambika P3 (12 MAR).
- NOW BOOKING: We’ve added IMITATION OF LIFE + INTRO by Dr Ella Parry-Davies to our calendar of coming attractions (23 MAR).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
OCEAN’S 11 d. Lewis Milestone, 1960 + INTRO by Adrian Wootton at Barbican (05 MAR 20:35):
- “Not to be confused with the string of Steven Soderbergh remakes, this is the original, super stylish 60s Rat Pack movie, with Frank Sinatra and his gang of pals, including Sammy Davis Jr.”
SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 + PANEL at Picturehouse Central (05 MAR 18:30 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!):
- Out At Central presents: “Leo (Félix Maritaud) is a 22-year-old sex worker who yearns for affection. In poor health and with no fixed address, he finds fleeting solace in the arms of the men he meets through his work. After the film, Matthew Todd (author of Straight Jacket and former editor of Attitude) and David Stuart, (Sexual Wellbeing programme curator at Dean Street) will discuss mental and sexual health.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ACE VENTURA: WHEN NATURE CALLS 35mm d. Steve Oedekerk, 1995 at The Prince Charles (05 MAR 18:20 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening).
- BURNING d. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 at The David Lean (05 MAR 19:00).
- CHARLIE BUBBLES d. Albert Finney, 1968 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (05 MAR 20:00).
- HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (05 MAR 13:55).
- IN THE FADE d. Fatih Akin, 2017 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (05 MAR 20:00).
- JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (05 MAR 18:30).
- LIFE OF BRIAN d. Terry Jones, 1979 + INTRO by Sir Michael Palin presented by Primrose Hill Community Library Film Show at Primrose Hill Community Library (05 MAR 19:45).
- TONY CONRAD: COMPLETELY IN THE PRESENT d. Tyler Hubby, 2018 presented by LUSH at Regent Street Cinema (05 MAR 20:50).
- VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (05 MAR 18:00).
- WOMAN UP! aka Numéro Une d. Tonie Marshall, 2017 at Ciné Lumière (05 MAR 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (05 MAR 12:50).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (05 MAR 16:00 & 21:00).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (05 MAR 18:10).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD d. Robert Mulligan, 1962 (05 MAR 18:00).
- THE SEARCHERS d. John Ford, 1956 (05 MAR 20:40).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 15 JUL):
- THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY d. Anthony Minghella, 1999 (05 MAR 20:45).
EUROPEAN CONNECTIONS: Classic Plays from Europe Brought to Life on British TV at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- European Connections Today panel discussion (05 MAR 18:15).
HAYAO MIYAZAKI AND THE LEGENDARY STUDIO GHIBLI at Genesis Cinema (01 to 24 MAR):
- PONYO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2008 (05 MAR 21:00).
HORROR SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum (until 21 MAR – Free!):
- ATTACK OF THE LEDERHOSEN ZOMBIES d. Dominik Hartl, 2016 (05 MAR 19:00 – Currently looks SOLD OUT!).
JOHN CARPENTER: A RESTORATION RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 MAR to 02 APR):
- THE FOG d. John Carpenter, 1980 (05 MAR 20:00).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- REMEMBER THE NIGHT d. Mitchell Leisen, 1940 (05 MAR 20:35).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- The Female Experience (05 to 10 MAR).
ABOUT A WAR d. Abi Weaver & Daniele Rugo at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 MAR 13:30):
- Moving through the testimonies of Assaad, a right wing Christian intelligence officer; Ahed, a Palestinian refugee fighter and Nassim, a Communist commander, ABOUT A WAR unpicks the personal motivations, trauma and regret of militiamen who picked up arms during the Lebanese Civil War.
BURNING MEN d. Jeremy Wooding, 2019 at Peckhamplex (05 MAR 20:30):
- Young, struggling musicians Ray and Don are evicted from their South London squat. They take to the road in their old Volvo Amazon, planning to sell their prized vinyl record collection and fly to Memphis USA. However, when they fail to get the money needed, they steal a rare Black Metal record which seems to unleash dark forces that threaten their mission.
SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (05 MAR 18:35 & 20:45):
- Leo (Félix Maritaud) is a 22-year-old sex worker who yearns for affection. In poor health and with no fixed address, he finds fleeting solace in the arms of the men he meets through his work. The crushing solitude of Leo’s life is tempered when he falls for fellow hustler Ahd.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AFTERMATH d. James Kent, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (01 to 07 MAR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 New Restoration at The Prince Charles (01 to 10 MAR). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 MAR). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 07 MAR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 07 MAR). FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY d. Stephen Merchant, 2019 at Rich Mix (01 to 07 MAR). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at JW3 (01 to 07 MAR). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Watermans (01 to 07 MAR). THE HOLE IN THE GROUNDd. Lee Cronin, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 MAR). OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 06 MAR). ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 07 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 + various dates Q&A with the directors at Arthouse Crouch End (02 to 07 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 MAR). TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (02 to 07 MAR). WALL d. Cam Christiansen, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 07 MAR).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.