RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SILICON VALLEY’S ONLINE SLAVE MARKET d. Jess Kelly, 2020 + Panel Discussion at Frontline Club (05 MAR 19:00):
- “This BBC News Arabic film reveals how Google, Apple and Facebook-owned Instagram are enabling an illegal online slave market by providing and approving apps used for the buying and selling of domestic workers in the Gulf. The film’s undercover investigation exposes app users in Kuwait breaking local and international laws on modern slavery, including a woman offering a child for sale, whose later rescue and journey back home to Guinea, West Africa, is followed.”
> MORE Get the RADIANT CIRCUS view of this week’s unmissable events.
Keep RADIANT CIRCUS listing far into the future by taking out a low cost monthly subscription at Patreon: get great rewards & help us continue to build & grow. THANK YOU!
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
Read our epic MARCH roundup of all London’s repertory seasons & festivals.
Read our guide to this year’s BFI Flare LGBTIQ+ Film Festival (18 to 29 MAR). UPDATE: New tickets + screenings released 12 MAR.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BACURAU d. Juliano Dornelles & Kleber Mendonça Filho, 2019 + Q&A with co-director Kleber Mendonça Filho & co-writer Juliano Dornelles at Curzon Bloomsbury (05 MAR 18:00):
- “Bacurau, a settlement in rural Brazil, is shaken by its matriarch’s death. But something strange is happening, the water supply has been cut off, and the village has disappeared from satellite maps completely. Under threat from an unknown enemy, Bacurau braces itself for a brutal fight for survival.”
TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 + Intro & Reading by Black Girls Book Club at Genesis Cinema (05 MAR 21:00):
- The New Black presents: “This artful and intimate meditation on the legendary storyteller examines her life, her works, and the powerful themes she has confronted throughout her literary career. Toni Morrison leads an assembly of her peers, critics, and colleagues on an exploration of race, history, America, and the human condition.”
- Also: TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 + Q&A with Margaret Busby presented by African Odysseys at BFI Southbank (05 MAR 18:00).
- Also: TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 presented by T A P E in celebration of International Women’s Day at Catford Mews (05 MAR 20:00).
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 2040 d. Damon Gameau, 2019 at The Lexi (05 MAR 18:30).
- AKENFIELD d. Peter Hall, 1974 presented by Cunning Folk at Balham Bowls Club (05 MAR 20:00).
- COOL DADDIO: THE SECOND YOUTH OF R. STEVIE MOORE d. Imogen Putler & Monika Baran, 2019 at DocHouse (05 MAR 20:30).
- DRACULA A.D. 1972 d. Alan Gibson, 1972 + Q&A with Caroline Munro at Regent Street Cinema (05 MAR 19:30).
- EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at JW3 (05 MAR 12:40).
- FORCE MAJEURE d. Ruben Östlund, 2014 at Curzon Aldgate (05 MAR 18:39 – Other Curzons available!).
- INSCRIPTIONS OF AN IMMENSE THEATRE d. Ailbhe Ní Bhriain, 2018 + Q&A with the director & composer Susan Stenger at The Whitechapel Art Gallery (05 MAR 19:00).
- JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 + Q&A with co-screenwriter Simon Lord presented by Talkies Community Cinema at The Dugdale Centre (05 MAR 19:00).
- JOKER d. Todd Phillips, 2019 at Watermans (05 MAR 20:45).
- MicroActs 6 – International Artist Film at Sidecar Coffee Bar (05 MAR 18:00).
- MY GENERATION d. David Batty, 2017 presented by Whirled Docs at Whirled Cinema (05 MAR 20:00).
- POETIC JUSTICE d. John Singleton, 1994 presented by Black Ink Cinema at The Castle Cinema (05 MAR 21:00 – Prosecco reception on arrival 20:00).
- REVOLUTION OF SOUND: TANGERINE DREAM d. Margarete Kreuzer, 2017 + Q&A with the director & co-producer Bianca Froese-Acquaye at Genesis Cinema (05 MAR 18:35).
- W.I.T.C.H. d. Gio Arlotta, 2019 + Q&A with the director + band member presented by Doc’n Roll Film Festival at Number 10 London (05 MAR 18:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
1999 – 2019: EXPLORING 20 YEARS OF SCI-FI at The Prince Charles (2020):
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 (28 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue to details).
AFRICAN IDENTITIES REBORN at DocHouse (31 JAN to 05 MAR):
- MALI BLUES d. Lutz Gregor, 2017 (05 MAR 14:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- A ZED & TWO NOUGHTS d. Peter Greenaway, 1985 (05 MAR 20:45).
CHRISTOPHER NOLAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (JAN to MAR):
- THE PRESTIGE 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2006 (05 MAR 20:45).
THE CINEMA OF JESSICA HAUSNER at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- New Releases: LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 (21 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue for details).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to MAR):
- 8½ 4K d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (05 MAR 20:15).
HER LENS, HIS STORY: FEMALE DIRECTORS & MASCULINITIES at Barbican (26 FEB to 10 MAR):
- A YEAR WITHOUT LOVE 35mm d. Anahí Berneri, 2005 (05 MAR 18:30).
IN FOCUS: PEDRO COSTA at ICA (03 to 15 MAR):
- CASA DE LAVA d. Pedro Costa, 1995 + Q&A with the director (05 MAR 18:30).
JELINEK – HANDKE AND THE SILVER SCREEN at Austrian Cultural Forum (FEB to MAR – FREE!):
- THE WRONG MOVE d. Wim Wenders, 1975 (05 MAR 19:00 – FREE!).
RIGHTS AT RISK: YESTERDAY / TOMORROW at DocHouse (06 FEB to 01 MAR):
- PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 (28 FEB to 05 MAR/Check venue for details).
TILDA SWINTON at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2013 (05 MAR 18:10).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 at The Prince Charles (05 MAR 13:00, 15:25 & 18:15):
- “A cosmic nightmare from the minds of H.P. Lovecraft and cult director, Richard Stanley, COLOR OUT OF SPACE follows Nathan Gardner (Nicolas Cage), Theresa Gardner (Joely Richardson) and their three children, (Madeleine Arthur, Brenden Meyer and Julian Hilliard), whose recent retreat to rural life quickly crumbles when a meteorite crashes into their front yard.”
DARK WATERS d. Todd Haynes, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (05 MAR 15:10 & 20:55):
- “A tenacious attorney uncovers a dark secret that connects a growing number of unexplained deaths due to one of the world’s largest corporations. In the process, he risks everything – his future, his family, and his own life – to expose the truth.”
THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MY MOTHER d. Beniamino Barrese, 2019 at ICA (05 MAR 16:25):
- “As an iconic fashion model during the 1960s, Benedetta Barzini was a muse to Warhol, Dali, Penn and Avedon. As a radical feminist in the 1970s, she fought for the rights and emancipation of women. But at the age of 75, Benedetta has become exhausted with the various roles that life has imposed upon her and decides escape the world of images and disappear for good.”
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 MAR 12:15, 15:30, 18:00 & 21:00):
- “Set in late 18th century France, painter Marianne (Noémie Merlant) is commissioned by an affluent countess to paint the wedding portrait of her sheltered but headstrong daughter Héloïse (Adèle Haenel), in the hope it will find her a wealthy husband. While posing as her hired companion, Marianne is instructed to complete the portrait in secret, observing Héloïse by day and painting her by night. However, as the two women grow closer, their intimacy and attraction begins to blossom, paving the way for a simmering, star-crossed romance.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at Catford Mews (until 05 MAR). FIRST LOVE aka Hatsukoi d. Takashi Miike, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 05 MAR). THE GOOD LIAR d. Bill Condon, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (02 to 08 MAR). JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 05 MAR). THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at The Prince Charles (28 FEB to 05 MAR). LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 at Catford Mews (28 FEB to 05 MAR). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 05 MAR). PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 at Rio Cinema (29 FEB to 05 MAR). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 04 MAR). THE RHYTHM SECTION d. Reed Morano, 2020 at Watermans (28 FEB to 05 MAR). TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG d. Justin Kurzel, 2019 at Rich Mix (28 FEB to 05 MAR). WAITING FOR ANYA d. Ben Cookson, 2019 presented by UKJF at JW3 (01 to 05 MAR).
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward a team of new contributors. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.