RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Filikino presents TODO TODO TEROS + INTRO at Genesis Cinema (05 DEC 18:15): “Love and terror are the subjects of this intimate, videodiary-esque film. Using a mix of found footage and personal videos, documentation of his trip to Berlin and life as an adolescent in Manila, John Torres poetically spins narratives that fold in on themselves.”
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
Read guest contributor Manila-based film writer & critic Richard Bolisay’s introduction to John Torres’ TODO TODO TEROS before tonight’s screening at Genesis Cinema (05 DEC 18:15) > HERE.
In the third of a new series of posts with our friends at Close-Up Film Centre, RADIANT CIRCUS interviewed guest curator Eleonora Pesci about THE PURSUIT OF WHOLENESS, a programme which pays tribute to avant-garde filmmaker Gregory Markopoulos (07 to 09 DEC) > HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
MUG + INTRO with director Malgorzata Szumowska & actor Mateusz Kosciukiewicz at BFI Southbank (05 DEC 20:50):
- Jacek (Kos´ciukiewicz) lives in a small, stuffy town. He loves his dog, his girlfriend Dagmara and heavy metal. After suffering a terrible accident that completely disfigures his face, Jacek gains unwilling national notoriety in Poland. While trying to deal with the trappings of fame, Jacek struggles with his identity as he can no longer recognise himself in the mirror.
RBG + PANEL at Picturehouse Central (05 DEC 18:45):
- This new documentary follows the impressive life of US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, from her legal career to her becoming an unexpected pop-culture icon (nicknamed the ‘Notorious RBG’).
TODO TODO TEROS + INTRO at Genesis Cinema (05 DEC 18:15):
- Filikino presents: Love and terror are the subjects of this intimate, videodiary-esque film. Using a mix of found footage and personal videos, documentation of his trip to Berlin and life as an adolescent in Manila, John Torres poetically spins narratives that fold in on themselves. An exercise in form, TODO TODO TEROS marked the arrival of a new, singular voice in Philippine independent cinema.
- Read Richard Bolisay’s article about the film at RADIANT CIRCUS.
THE VIRGIN OF STAMBOUL 35mm + INTRO by Kevin Brownlow + LIVE SCORE by Cyrus Gabrysch at The Cinema Museum (05 DEC 19:30):
- The main feature is directed by Tod Browning and stars Priscilla Dean, Wheeler Oakman and Wallace Beery. Also includes lost British feature MARIA MARTEN 16mm with intro by Michael Pointon and live score by John Sweeney.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN at The David Lean (05 DEC 19:30).
- BICYCLE THIEVES + INTRO by Dr Silvia Angeli at BFI (05 DEC 18:20).
- THE BLAZING CANNONS at Regent Street Cinema (05 DEC 18:30).
- COLD WAR European Cinema Night at Rio Cinema (05 DEC 18:30).
- DEAD SOULS Part 2 at ICA (05 DEC 13:20).
- EVELYN + Q&A with director Orlando von Einsiedel & contributors to the film at Peckhamplex (05 DEC 20:30).
- FANNY & ALEXANDER presented by Nomad at Citypoint (05 DEC 19:30).
- THE HAPPY PRINCE presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (05 DEC 20:15).
- HOLIDAY INN at Regent Street Cinema (05 DEC 12:00 & 15:30).
- HOME ALONE at Picturehouse Central (05 DEC 18:30 – Other Picturehouse available!).
- THE JUDGE at DocHouse (05 DEC 14:40).
- NERUDA at Deptford Cinema (05 DEC 20:00).
- PERFORMANCE 35mm at Picturehouse Central (05 DEC 21:15).
- PIN CUSHION presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (05 DEC 19:45).
- SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (05 DEC 13:00).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Ciné Lumière (05 DEC 15:15).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at The Castle Cinema (05 DEC 18:15).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT presented by George’s Social Cinema at Hampstead NW3 (05 DEC 19:00).
- WINDRUSH GENERATIONS + Q&A with Rachel Wang and members of the Windrush Generation at Curzon Soho (05 DEC 18:45).
- Yervant Gianikian & Angela Ricci Lucchi: ANGELA’S DIARIES at Tate Modern (05 DEC 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- DIE HARD 70mm (05 DEC 20:45).
A CINEMA OF FORKING PATHS – FILMS INSPIRED BY BORGES! at The Horse Hospital & Curzon Bloomsbury (05 to 11 DEC):
- YOU ARE HERE + Q&A with director Daniel Cockburn (05 DEC 19:00, The Horse Hospital).
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (30 NOV to 27 DEC):
- THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (05 DEC 13:35).
- ELF (05 DEC 13:50).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (05 DEC 15:30 & 21:00).
- SCROOGED (05 DEC 16:15).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL Sing-A-Long (05 DEC 18:20).
- HOME ALONE (05 DEC 18:40).
- DIE HARD 70mm (05 DEC 20:45).
THE CHRISTMAS LABYRINTH at Backyard Cinema (until 22 DEC):
COMEDIES MADE IN FRANCE at Ciné Lumière (02 DEC to 16 JAN):
- SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bain (05 DEC 18:30).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- WITHNAIL & I + INTRO by actor Paul McGann (05 DEC 18:10).
- 9 TO 5 enjoys a grind show run (05 DEC 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- ArteKino Festival (01 to 31 DEC – various venues & online).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Film Week (04 to 10 DEC).
- London International Animation Festival (30 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Migration Film Festival (29 NOV to 05 DEC).
- Slow Short Film Festival Part 2 (05 DEC).
THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at Phoenix Cinema (05 DEC 20:45):
- The astonishing story of three men who make the chance discovery, at the age of 19, that they are identical triplets, separated at birth and adopted to different parents. The trio’s joyous reunion in 1980 catapults them to fame but it also sets in motion a chain of events that unearths an extraordinary and disturbing secret.
WARU at Rio Cinema (05 DEC 18:15):
- A groundbreaking production from eight female Māori filmmakers, WARU is the story of a small New Zealand town coming to terms with a bitter tragedy – the death of a small boy, Waru, at the hands of his carer.
THE WILD PEAR TREE at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 DEC 12:30, 16:15 & 20:00):
- Turkish master Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s latest feature is ingrained with literary references that touch on existential and philosophical questions, such as the place of religion in our lives, while also rendering a sensitive and distinctive portrait of young people in contemporary Turkey.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- CLIMAX at ICA (30 NOV to 05 DEC). COLD WAR at ICA (30 NOV to 06 DEC). DISOBEDIENCE at JW3 (30 NOV to 13 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (until 06 DEC). POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (until 06 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at ICA (until 06 DEC). RAMS at Barbican (until 06 DEC). SO HELP ME GOD at DocHouse (30 NOV to 06 DEC). THE RIDER at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 DEC). SHOPLIFTERS at Ciné Lumière (until 03 JAN). WIDOWS at The Castle Cinema (30 NOV to 04 DEC). THE WORKSHOP at Watermans (30 NOV to 05 DEC).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.