SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 06.05.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (regular runs).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
TAKE TWO: MOUCHETTE / BLOOD at Close-Up (06 MAY 18:00 & 20:00):
- An essential work of French filmmaking, Robert Bresson’s MOUCHETTE uses hugely empathetic drama to elevate its trapped protagonist into one of the cinema’s great tragic figures.
- Pedro Costa’s languid and unsettling BLOOD echoes Tourneur, Bresson, Ray and Straub-Huillet, resulting in a lushly stylised romantic fable.
THE RACKET + INTRO by Bryony Dixon at BFI Southbank (06 MAY 13:15):
- Nominated for best picture in the first ever Oscars®, THE RACKET is a cracking gangster picture featuring the charismatic Louis Wolheim as a bootlegger pursued by Thomas Meighan’s Chicago copper, with Marie Prevost’s vengeful ‘chantoose’ in tow. With live piano accompaniment.
THROUGH LOTTE’S LENS + Q&A with director Tony Britten at Phoenix Cinema (06 MAY 14:00):
- The extraordinary story of the ‘Hitler Émigrés’, the refugees – mainly Jewish who escaped the Nazi regime in the 1930s and found refuge in the UK. Despite many of them being interned on the Isle of Man after war broke out, they brought a richness of endeavour and achievement to this country that still applies today.
More films in London today (A – Z): ARNIE ALL-NIGHTER at The Prince Charles (06 MAY 21:15). BIG at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (06 MAY 20:30). A CAT IN PARIS fundraiser for Stokey Cats & Dogs at Rio Cinema (06 MAY 11:00). CLASSE TOUS RISQUES at BFI (06 MAY 20:10). FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (06 MAY 21:00 – is sold out!). FRUITVALE STATION + DJ presented by Block Party Cinema at Pop Brixton (06 MAY 16:00 – is sold out!). THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY – EXTENDED EDITIONS at The Prince Charles (06 MAY 20:45). LOVELESS at Whirled Cinema (06 MAY 20:00). THE MAGIC FLUTE at Ciné Lumière (06 MAY 16:10). THE OLD DARK HOUSE at BFI (06 MAY 18:20). PAN’S LABYRINTH at The Prince Charles (06 MAY 17:50). PONYO at The Prince Charles (06 MAY 15:25). THE TOUCH at Picturehouse Central (06 May 13:00 – other Picturehouses available!). WESTERN at ICA (06 MAY 13:25).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (all year):
- MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO (06 MAY 12:45).
- MOMOTARO’S DIVINE SEA WARRIORS (06 MAY 15:20).
ANIME APRIL becomes ANIME MAY at Genesis Cinema (until 10 MAY):
- MARY & THE WITCH’S FLOWER (06 MAY 14:15 & 17:50).
CYBERPUNK ANIME at House Of Vans (06 to 25 MAY):
- ANGEL’S EGG (06 MAY 14:00 & 16:00 – Free!).
MAY ’68 AND ITS LEGACIES at Ciné Lumière (04 to 23 MAY):
- MILOU EN MAI (06 MAY 14:00).
TERRY GILLIAM at Deptford Cinema (until 09 SEP):
- LOST IN LA MANCHA (06 MAY 14:00).
UPRISING: THE SPIRIT OF ’68 at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- ANTONIO DAS MORTES 35mm (06 MAY 17:40).
- MAYDAYS 35mm (06 MAY 20:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
New Cross & Deptford Free Film Festival (27 APR to 06 MAY)
- THE GOOD DINOSAUR (06 MAY 10:30, Deptford Park Playclub – Free!).
- BEATS OF THE ANTANOV + CLOSING PARTY (06 MAY 19:30, Buster Mantis – Free!).
Sci-Fi London (01 to 07 MAY)
- WORD FROM A GAMER (06 MAY 13:00, Stratford Picturehouse).
- PRECOGNITION (06 MAY 14:50, Stratford Picturehouse).
- THE GATEWAY (06 MAY 17:15, Stratford Picturehouse).
- DIVISION 19 (06 MAY 19:30, Stratford Picturehouse).
- N.B. This will be the final day of the fest as the FRANKENSTEIN all-dayer (07 MAY) has been cancelled.
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- Taking a break – back tomorrow!
Canada Now (03 to 06 MAY)
- I’VE HEARD THE MERMAIDS SINGING (06 MAY 13:30, Curzon Soho).
- CARDINALS + Q&A with directors Grayson Moore and Aidan Shipley (06 MAY 16:00, Curzon Soho).
- LET THERE BE LIGHT + Q&A with director Mila Aung-Thwin & protagonist Mark Henderson (06 MAY 18:30, Curzon Soho).
Chinese Visual Festival (03 to 06 MAY)
- PLEASE REMEMBER ME (06 MAY 12:00, Kings College London – Free!).
- MRS FANG (06 MAY 15:00, BFI Southbank).
- CLOSING GALA: ALIFU, THE PRINCE/SS – is sold out!
London Georgian Film Festival (03 to 08 MAY)
- HOUSE OF OTHERS + Skype Q&A with Rusudan Glurjidze (06 MAY 14:00, Regent Street Cinema).
- GOSPEL OF ANASYRMA + INTRO/PANEL with director Elene Naveriani (06 MAY 16:20, Regent Street Cinema).
- CITY OF THE SUN + Q&A with director Rati Oneli (06 MAY 18:00, Regent Street Cinema).
- OUR BLOOD IS WINE + Q&A with director Emily Railsback (06 MAY 20:15, Regent Street Cinema).
MARY & THE WITCH’S FLOWER at ArtHouse Crouch End (06 May 16:25 & 18:45):
- From Hiromasa Yonebayashi, animator on such Studio Ghibli masterpieces such as Ponyo and Spirited Away, comes a dazzling new adventure. Based on Mary Stewart‘s 1971 classic children’s book The Little Broomstick, Mary and the Witch’s Flower is packed with jaw-dropping imagination and ingenious characters.
- Also at Genesis Cinema (06 MAY 14:15 & 17:50), The Institute Of Light (06 MAY 18:00) and Rio Cinema (06 May 16:00).
NEW TOWN UTOPIA at Barbican (06 MAY 16:30 & 20:45):
- A feature documentary film about utopian dreams and concrete realities. The challenging, funny, and sometimes tragic story of the British new town of Basildon, Essex.
- Also at Picturehouse Central (06 MAY 19:50).
THE YOUNG KARL MARX at ICA (06 MAY 15:45 & 18:30):
- Between censorship and police raids, riots and political upheavals, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels meet in Paris in 1844, and together, become defining voices for the burgeoning labour movement. Expect fiery exchanges of ideas over drunken bonding sessions, nurturing support from their adoring partners and masses of righteous indignation at the social inequalities magnified by the industrial revolution.
- Also at JW3 (06 MAY 11:15 & 20:00).
More films in London this week (A – Z): See our weekly digest.
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram for news & updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.
Featured attraction: NEW TOWN UTOPIA at Barbican + Picturehouse Central (06 MAY).