RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SUNSET 35mm d. László Nemes, 2018 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (06 MAY 19:30):
- “From László Nemes, the Oscar-winning director of SON OF SAUL comes this sublimely evocative recreation of 1913 Budapest, a city at the crux of world history. Irisz Leiter (Juli Jakab) arrives in the capital eager to become a milliner at her late parents’ legendary hat shop. But she is drawn into the mystery of what happened to her long-missing brother.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- We chatted with artist Ben Turner about classic 80s movie posters, lurid VHS aesthetics & his design for MIDNIGHT EXCESS #2, Ranjit S. Ruprai’s late night collab with The Celluloid Sorceress (11 MAY 23:00+, Rio Cinema).
- We’re partnering with Screen25 to celebrate their new Spring/Summer programme. All RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers, friends & followers get a juicy discount when booking for this exciting lineup.
- Thanks to our friends at Birkbeck University, we’ll be discussing “independent exhibition at a time of crisis” & screening Joe Dante’s MATINEE (21 MAY 18:00, Birkbeck Cinema – FREE!).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Films in London today (A – Z):
- AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at The Prince Charles (06 MAY 18:35).
- BABE + BABE: PIG IN THE CITY 35mm d. Chris Noonan & George Miller, 1995/1998 at The Prince Charles (06 MAY 12:00).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (06 MAY 18:30).
- CLIMAX d. Gaspar Noé, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (06 MAY 20:00).
- DEN SKYLDIGE aka The Guilty d. Gustav Möller, 2018 part of Nordic Film Nights at Deptford Cinema (06 MAY 19:30).
- Encounters Deaf Shorts at Picturehouse Stratford (06 MAY 17:45).
- ISLE OF DOGS d. Wes Anderson, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (06 MAY 19:30 – FREE!).
- LORO d. Paolo Sorrentino, 2018 at Barbican (06 MAY 20:10).
- MID90S d. Jonah Hill, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (06 MAY 20:55).
- NOTTING HILL d. Roger Michell 1999 at Picturehouse Gate (06 MAY 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS: WEIMAR CINEMA 1919-1933 at BFI Southbank (MAY to JUN):
- METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (06 MAY 14:50 + LIVE PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT).
- THE FIGHT FOR THE MATTERHORN d. Mario Bonnard & Nunzio Malsomma, 1928 + LIVE PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT (06 MAY 18:00).
- THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI d. Robert Wiene, 1920 (06 MAY 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE MEANINGS OF LIFE at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES d. Clint Eastwood, 1976 (06 MAY 15:10).
CELEBRATING 80 YEARS OF THE BATMAN! at The Prince Charles (06 to 27 MAY):
- BATMAN: THE MOVIE d. Leslie H. Martinson, 1966 (06 MAY 15:45).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 15 JUL):
- MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III d. J.J. Abrams, 2006 (06 MAY 20:45).
CLOSE-UP ON SCOTT WALKER at Close-Up (24 APR to 31 MAY):
- THE ROUND-UP d. Miklós Jancsó, 1965 (06 MAY 20:15).
GENESIS 20TH BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema (03 to 12 MAY – Tickets £2.50 + FREE PINT!!):
- LET THE RIGHT ONE IN d. Tomas Alfredson, 2009 (06 MAY 18:25).
- DEAD MAN’S SHOES d. Shane Meadows, 2004 (06 MAY 21:00).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- BARRY LYNDON d. Stanley Kubrick, 1975 (06 MAY 14:00).
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (06 MAY 17:30).
- PATHS OF GLORY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1957 (06 MAY 17:50).
- THE SHINING (Extended Version) d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (06 MAY 20:15).
- “Inspired by Kubrick”: DUNKIRK 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 (06 MAY 20:00).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- MABOROSI d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1995 enjoys a grind show run (26 APR to 09 MAY).
> Plan ahead with our monthly roundup of London’s rep seasons & film festivals.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Chinese Visual Festival (02 to 09 MAY).
- Herne Hill Free Film Festival (29 APR to 01 JUN).
- Right Now Film Festival (06 to 12 MAY).
- SERET International: The UK Israeli Film & Television Festival (29 APR to 12 MAY).
EXTREMELY WICKED, SHOCKINGLY EVIL AND VILE d. Joe Berlinger, 2019 at The Prince Charles (06 MAY 16:05, 18:10, 21:00):
- “Ted (Zac Efron): handsome, smart, charismatic, affectionate. Liz (Lily Collins): a single mother, cautious, but smitten. A picture of domestic bliss, the two seem to have it all figured out. That is until Ted is arrested and charged with a series of increasingly grisly murders.”
MERATA: HOW MUM DECOLONISED THE SCREEN d. Heperi Mita, 2018 at DocHouse (06 MAY 20:20):
- “Pioneering Maori filmmaker Merata Mita is the subject of this rich and personal portrait by her son. Juggling motherhood, activism and filmmaking, she was the first Maori woman to make a feature film.”
VOX LUX at ArtHouse Crouch End (06 MAY 15:10 & 20:40):
- “The second feature from writer-director Brady Corbet (THE CHILDHOOD OF A LEADER), VOX LUX is a stylish and absorbing modern portrait of a troubled pop star’s rise from the ashes of a major national tragedy to pop superstardom, featuring a remarkable performance from Oscar-winning actress Natalie Portman.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ART & MIND d. Amélie Ravalec, 2019 at ICA (until 09 MAY). ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhangke, 2018 at ICA (until 09 MAY). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (06 to 12 MAY). DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE d. S. Craig Zahler, 2018 at The Prince Charles (03 to 08 MAY). EIGHTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at Moving Pictures (03 to 09 MAY). ELLA FITZGERALD: JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS d. Leslie Woodhead, 2019 at DocHouse (06 to 09 MAY). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at JW3 (06 to 08 MAY). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (08 to 23 MAY). IRENE’S GHOST d. Iain Cunningham, 2018 at DocHouse (03 to 09 MAY). KNOCK DOWN THE HOUSE d. Rachel Lears, 2019 at ICA (until 08 MAY). HEARTBOUND d. Janus Metz & Sine Plambech, 2018 at DocHouse (until 08 MAY). LORO d. Paolo Sorrentino, 2018 at Watermans (03 to 09 MAY). MABOROSI d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1995 at Rio Cinema (until 09 MAY). MID90S d. Jonah Hill, 2018 at Moving Pictures (until 09 MAY). RED JOAN d. Trevor Nunn, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 to 09 MAY). THE SISTERS BROTHERS d. Jacques Audiard, 2018 at The Prince Charles (03 to 09 MAY). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at JW3 (03 to 09 MAY). WILD ROSE d. Tom Harper, 2018 at The Lexi Cinema (03 to 09 MAY). WOMEN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (03 to 09 MAY).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.