RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2018 + Q&A with the director at ICA (06 AUG 18:30):
- “Holidaying on the Turkish Riviera, the girlfriend of a low-level drug lord navigates the crude objectification, menacing threats and eventual violent outbursts of her gangster boyfriend. In this highly-stylised debut feature from Isabella Eklöf (who co-wrote the 2018 Swedish film BORDER), the female protagonist seeks her revenge.”
- Enjoys a grind show run at the same venue.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
IF…. d. Lindsay Anderson, 1968 + Q&A/Filming If…. book signing with David Wood at Curzon Richmond (06 AUG 18:10):
- “To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of Lindsay Anderson’s if…. we screen the film followed by a Q&A with co-star David Wood, who signs copies of his book ‘Filming if….’ afterwards. An apposite winner of the Palme d’Or at the 1969 Cannes Film Festival after the previous year’s competition was suspended due to student protest and civil action, Lindsay Anderson’s countercultural satire depicts insurrection in a fictional boy’s boarding school.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at ICA (06 AUG 14:30).
- BAD TIMING d. Nicolas Roeg, 1980 at Regent Street Cinema (06 AUG 20:35).
- BRITAIN ON FILM: PROTEST! archive film programme at The David Lean (06 AUG 19:30).
- IN FABRIC d. Peter Strickland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (06 AUG 13:00).
- PENNY SLINGER: OUT OF THE SHADOWS d. Richard Kovitch, 2017 at Picturehouse Hackney (06 AUG 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- PENTAMIND: THE ULTIMATE MIND SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIP d. Hassan Amini, 2019 at JW3 (06 AUG 21:00).
- REBECCA d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1940 at Primrose Hill Community Library (06 AUG 19:45).
- THE SEVEN-UPS d. Philip D’Antoni, 1973 presented by Tufnell Part Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (06 AUG 20:00).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at DocHouse (06 AUG 14:00).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at The Lexi (06 AUG 20:30).
- WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (06 AUG 19:00 – FREE!)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- UNRELATED 35mm d. Joanna Hogg, 2007 (06 AUG 20:30).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
NO DIRECT FLIGHT at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- BLACK GIRL d. Ousmane Sembène, 1966 + Intro by June Givanni (06 AUG 18:20).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- THE LONG GOODBYE 35mm d. Robert Altman, 1973 (06 AUG 18:10).
- JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (06 AUG 20:35). TO LIVE & DIE IN L.A. 35mm d. William Friedkin, 1985 (06 AUG 21:00).
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 enjoys a grind show run (06 AUG 15:45).
PHILLIP MARLOWE ON SCREEN at The Prince Charles (UNTIL 03 SEP):
- THE LONG GOODBYE 35mm d. Robert Altman, 1973 (06 AUG 18:10).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- ROMAN HOLIDAY (06 AUG 20:30 – Stratford).
- CITY OF GOD (06 AUG 20:30 – Peckham).
- MEAN GIRLS (06 AUG 21:00 – Shoreditch).
TARANTINO ON SCREEN-O at Genesis Cinema (05 to 13 AUG):
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 (06 AUG 21:00).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Miguel Gomes’ Arabian Nights – ARABIAN NIGHTS: THE RESTLESS ONES d. Miguel Gomes, 2015 (06 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (06 AUG 18:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London this week but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know!
OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (06 AUG 12:45):
- “Based on the Japanese manga of the same name, the film tells the horrific tale of Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik), a businessman who is inexplicably kidnapped and imprisoned in a grim hotel room-like cell for 15 years, without knowing his captor or the reason for his incarceration. Eventually released, he learns of his wife’s murder and embarks on a quest for revenge.”
PHOTOGRAPH d. Ritesh Batra, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (06 AUG 16:00 & 21:00):
- “The latest from writer-director Ritesh Batra (The Lunchbox), Photograph is a charming tale of unlikely romance set against the vibrant backdrop of contemporary Mumbai. Rafi (Nawazuddin Siddiqui) is a struggling street photographer who takes tourist portraits at the Gateway of India. When he meets Miloni (Sanya Malhotra), a shy stranger from an affluent family, he convinces her to pose as his fiancée after his overbearing grandmother decides to pay him a visit.”
RECONSTRUCTING UTØYA d. Carl Javér, 2018 at DocHouse (06 AUG 18:30):
- “On 22nd July, 2011, 69 people were murdered in Norway when a far-right terrorist exploded a bomb in Oslo and then proceeded to shoot children on the island of Utøya where the Labour Party’s youth league was holding its summer camp. Four survivors meet in Northern Norway with twelve young Norwegians to share their experiences and reconstruct their memories.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Barbican (02 to 08 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 08 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (04 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 AUG). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (05 to 11 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 08 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Lexi (02 to 05 AUG). DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 1989 at BFI (02 to 09 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 08 AUG). HAMADA d. Eloy Domínguez Serén, 2018 at DocHouse (02 to 08 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 08 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 08 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 07 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 08 AUG). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (until 08 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (02 to 08 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (02 to 08 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.