SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 06.10.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: SHIRKERS + Q&A with director Sandi Tan at ICA (06 OCT 18:45): “Sandi Tan’s doc spins a filmmaking memoir out of the mysterious disappearance and reappearance of her 25-year-old debut feature.” – Scott Tobias, Variety.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
EXPLODING CINEMA at The Cinema Museum (06 OCT 19:00):
- For the last few years EXPLODING CINEMA have been putting on shows at The Cinema Museum, promoting fresh new shorts and turning the venue into a psychedelic wonderland with their massive collection of old projectors painting the walls with found footage and weird super 8.
Harryhausen Short Films: HANSEL & GRETAL and Other Stories at Barbican (06 OCT 11:00):
- Lesser known than his features, but no less impressive, these wonderful shorts from the legendary animator Ray Harryhausen showcase his mastery of stop motion and talent for storytelling.
- Adults can only attend if they’re bringing a child, and children can only come along if accompanied by an adult.
JEUNE FEMME + SCREENTALK with actor Laetitia Dosch at Barbican (06 OCT 14:00):
- First-time filmmaker Léonor Serraille and the dazzling Laetitia Dosch burst onto the scene with Jeune Femme, a raucous and playful portrait of a woman in her early 30s in Paris.
SHIRKERS + Q&A with director Sandi Tan at ICA (06 OCT 18:45):
- SHIRKERS was a Singapore-made 1992 cult classic from teenage friends Sandi Tan, Jasmine Ng and Sophie Siddique — or it would have been, had the 16mm footage not been stolen by their enigmatic American collaborator Georges Cardona. More than two decades after Cardona disappeared, Tan returns to the country of her youth and to the memories of a man who both enabled and thwarted her dreams. Magically, too, she returns to the film itself, revived in a way she never could have imagined.
UNWANTED HERITAGE + PANEL at Rich Mix (06 OCT 14:30):
- Croatian filmmaker Irena Skoric’s award-winnng doc considers thousands of WWII monuments that were built throughout the former Yugoslavia in the period 1945–1990. Many of these monuments were designed by some of Yugoslavia’s most prominent artists. Since the 1990s, half of them have been damaged or destroyed. Part of Southeast European Future Festival.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A NORTHERN SOUL at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (06 OCT 19:00).
- BELOVED presented by Fruitvale Film Club at Birkbeck Cinema (06 OCT 14:00 – Free!).
- BENEATH THE CLOCKTOWER at ArtHouse Crouch End (06 OCT 16:00).
- THE FOUNTAINHEAD 35mm at BFI (06 OCT 20:45).
- FRENCH CANCAN at BFI (06 OCT 18:40).
- Lawrence Abu Hamdan: WALLED UNWALLED at Tate Modern (06 OCT 10:00 – 22:00).
- LOST IN MUNICH + PANEL at The Gate (06 OCT 17:45).
- SHERLOCK JR. at The Prince Charles (06 OCT 15:40).
- YARDIE at Regent Street Cinema (06 OCT 14:00, 16:00, 18:00 & 20:00).
- ZARAFA at Phoenix Cinema (06 OCT 12:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (06 OCT 17:00 – Sold Out!).
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- MODERN HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (06 OCT 20:30).
- CLASSIC HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (06 OCT 20:45).
- Just be sure to follow the rules…
DRAMA SHE WROTE at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- Susan Pleat and Pat Hooker: BRENDA + SUSAN + INTRO from Susan Pleat (06 OCT 15:20).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- STRAIT-JACKET (06 OCT 17:50).
MARGARETHE VON TROTTA REVISITED at Barbican (02 to 06 OCT):
- THE SECOND AWAKENING OF CHRISTA KLAGES (06 OCT 16:15).
MASAKI KOBAYASHI: THE HUMAN CONDITION at Close-Up (06 OCT to 28 OCT):
- THE HUMAN CONDITION I: NO GREATER LOVE (06 OCT 19:00).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- SHALLOW GRAVE (06 OCT 21:00).
- Saturday Special (06 OCT): Working Class Heroes: The Filmmakers “how to get your voice heard in the film industry” (06 OCT 12:45); Doc Brown in Conversation (06 OCT 16:25); and, BULLET BOY 35mm + Q&A with Ashley Walters (06 OCT 18:30).
WORLD WAR ONE: REGENERATIONS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- WESTFRONT 1918 aka Westfront 1918: Vier von der Infanterie (06 OCT 16:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Raindance Film Festival (26 SEP to 07 OCT).
- Slow Short Film Festival (06 OCT).
COLUMBUS at ArtHouse Crouch End (06 OCT 13:20 & 20:00):
- When a renowned architecture scholar falls suddenly ill during a speaking tour, his son Jin (John Cho) finds himself stranded in Columbus, Indiana – a small Midwestern city celebrated for its many significant modernist buildings. Jin strikes up a friendship with Casey (Haley Lu Richardson), a young architecture enthusiast who works at the local library. As their intimacy develops, Jin and Casey explore both the town and their conflicted emotions.
JALOUSE at Ciné Lumière (06 OCT 16:10):
- Almost overnight, Nathalie Pêcheux, a divorced French teacher, changes from a loving mother into a jealous monster. Her first target is her stunning 18-year-old daughter Mathilde, a ballet dancer, but her field of attack soon extends to her friends, colleagues, and even her neighbours.
KUSAMA – INFINITY at DocHouse (06 OCT 14:30 & 18:30):
- In this compelling doc, director Heather Lenz tells Yayoi Kusama’s story from childhood to present day, in the words of the artist herself. Kusama candidly discusses how her cosmic and obsessive art practice is generated from childhood trauma, and reveals the chronic depression she suffered after well-known artists remodelled her work in their name.
More films in London this week (A – Z): A THOUSAND GIRLS LIKE ME at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). BLACK ’47 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 to 11 OCT). THE GODFATHER at BFI (until 09 OCT). HEREDITARY at Whirled Cinema (08 to 14 OCT). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). THE OSLO DIARIES at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). SEARCHING at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). SKATE KITCHEN at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). TEHRAN TABOO at ICA (05 to 11 OCT). THIS IS CONGO at The Montpelier (until 10 OCT). THE WIFE at Phoenix (05 to 11 OCT).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.