RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Cult Classic Collective presents POSSESSION + SALON with Nick Walker, Rochester Kino at Genesis Cinema (06 DEC 18:30): “Unpredictable, horrific, its moments of terrifying lucidity only serving to highlight the staggering derangement at its core. Extreme but essential viewing.” – Tom Huddleston, Time Out.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
We interviewed guest curator Eleonora Pesci about THE PURSUIT OF WHOLENESS, a programme which pays tribute to avant-garde filmmaker Gregory Markopoulos at Close-Up (07 to 09 DEC) > HERE.
RaMell Ross’ documentary HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING (2018) previewed at ICA this week (04 DEC 2018) followed by a conversation between the filmmaker & ICA Assistant Curator, Ifeanyi Awachie. Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup > HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
AMÁ + INTRO by director Lorna Tucker, exec producer Colin Firth & Native American contributors to the film, Charon Asetoyer & Jean Whitehorse at Curzon Soho (06 DEC 19:00):
- World Premiere: One of America’s darkest secrets: the officially sponsored destruction of Native American families. Children removed from their homes, women sterilised without consent. Citizens ignored when they spoke up in protest. In AMÁ, those ignored voices join together in a chorus demanding attention.
A TASTE OF HONEY at Genesis Cinema (06 DEC 21:00):
- #WomenInFilm2018 and the Young Women’s Trust present a fundraiser screening of Tony Richardson’s kitchen sink classic. Part of the proceeds will go towards the Young Women’s Trust, however if you’d like to help them out more, you can buy a solidarity ticket at £11.
POSSESSION + SALON with Nick Walker, Rochester Kino at Genesis Cinema (06 DEC 18:30):
- Cult Classic Collective presents: Andrzej Zulawski’s POSSESSION. The screening will be introduced by Nick and will be followed by a salon discussion upstairs at the bar where you will have a chance to discuss this great film with fellow fans and first-time viewers!
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 49TH PARALLEL at Austrian Cultural Forum (06 DEC 19:00 – Free!).
- ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS at BFI (06 DEC 20:50).
- BLACK MOTHER at ICA (06 DEC 17:05).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY at The David Lean (06 DEC 14:30 & 19:30).
- FAHRENHEIT 11/9 at JW3 (06 DEC 12:00).
- MAMMA MIA! HERE WE GO AGAIN presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at Langley Park Centre (06 DEC 19:45).
- MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. at ICA (06 DEC 15:00).
- MOUNTAIN presented by Talkies Community Cinema at The Dugdale Centre (06 DEC 19:45).
- ON CHESIL BEACH presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at Langley Park Centre (06 DEC 19:30).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at DocHouse (06 DEC 20:30).
- THE ROOM without Tommy Wiseau at The Prince Charles (06 DEC 21:15).
- SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (06 DEC 21:00).
- THIRTEEN 35mm + INTRO by Anna Bogutskaya 15th Anniversary at BFI (06 DEC 18:30).
- WHITE CHRISTMAS presented by Nomad at Citypoint (06 DEC 19:30).
- WINDRUSH GENERATIONS at The Ritzy (06 DEC 20:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (30 NOV to 27 DEC):
- NATIONAL LAMPOON’S CHRISTMAS VACATION (06 DEC 13:15).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (06 DEC 13:45 & 20:45)
- LOVE ACTUALLY (06 DEC 15:30)
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL (06 DEC 16:25);
- THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER 35mm (06 DEC 18:25).
- ELF Quote-A-Long (06 DEC 18:40).
THE CHRISTMAS LABYRINTH at Backyard Cinema (until 22 DEC):
CLOSE-UP ON INGMAR BERGMAN at Close-Up (02 NOV to 30 DEC):
- THE SILENCE (06 DEC 20:15).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- 9 TO 5 (06 DEC 18:10).
MAGNIFICENT OBSESSIONS: THE FILMS OF ROSS HUNTER at The Cinema Museum (08 NOV to 20 DEC):
- THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (06 DEC 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- ArteKino Festival (01 to 31 DEC – various venues & online).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Film Week (04 to 10 DEC).
- London International Animation Festival (30 NOV to 09 DEC).
THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at Phoenix Cinema (06 DEC 14:00):
- The astonishing story of three men who make the chance discovery, at the age of 19, that they are identical triplets, separated at birth and adopted to different parents. The trio’s joyous reunion in 1980 catapults them to fame but it also sets in motion a chain of events that unearths an extraordinary and disturbing secret.
WARU at Rio Cinema (06 DEC 18:15):
- A groundbreaking production from eight female Māori filmmakers, WARU is the story of a small New Zealand town coming to terms with a bitter tragedy – the death of a small boy, Waru, at the hands of his carer.
THE WILD PEAR TREE at ArtHouse Crouch End (06 DEC 15:05 & 20:15):
- Turkish master Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s latest feature is ingrained with literary references that touch on existential and philosophical questions, such as the place of religion in our lives, while also rendering a sensitive and distinctive portrait of young people in contemporary Turkey.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- CLIMAX at ICA (30 NOV to 05 DEC). COLD WAR at ICA (30 NOV to 06 DEC). DISOBEDIENCE at JW3 (30 NOV to 13 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (until 06 DEC). POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (until 06 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at ICA (until 06 DEC). RAMS at Barbican (until 06 DEC). SO HELP ME GOD at DocHouse (30 NOV to 06 DEC). THE RIDER at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 DEC). SHOPLIFTERS at Ciné Lumière (until 03 JAN). WIDOWS at The Castle Cinema (30 NOV to 04 DEC). THE WORKSHOP at Watermans (30 NOV to 05 DEC).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.