SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 07.01.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
I USED TO BE NORMAL: A BOYBAND FANGIRL STORY + Skype Q&A with director Jessica Leski at BFI Southbank (07 JAN 18:10):
- “To paraphrase the immortal words of Harry Styles, ‘who’s to say that a teen girl’s musical taste is any less valuable than that of a 30-year-old hipster?’ In her documentary feature debut, Jessica Leski doesn’t focus on the boybands themselves, but the adoration they inspire in women.”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Films in London today (A – Z):
- A MAN CALLED OVE at Deptford Cinema (07 JAN 19:30).
- AMERICAN ANIMALS at Barbican (07 JAN 18:10).
- NAE PASARAN! at ArtHouse Crouch End (07 JAN 19:05).
- RUMBLE FISH 35mm at The Prince Charles (07 JAN 18:25).
- SHOPLIFTERS at Barbican (07 JAN 20:35).
- SHOPLIFTERS at The Lexi (07 JAN 20:45).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at The Prince Charles (07 JAN 20:20).
- THAT SUMMER at Barbican (07 JAN 15:30).
- THE WILD PEAR TREE at Regent Street Cinema (07 JAN 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- CAT PEOPLE (1942) (07 JAN 20:45).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 15 JUL):
- TWISTER 35mm (07 JAN 20:45 – £1 PCC Members Screening).
CLOSE-UP ON JASUJIRō OZU at Close-Up (until 13 JAN):
- LATE SPRING (07 JAN 20:15).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- LA NOTTE aka the Night (07 JAN 18:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today…
THE FAVOURITE at ArtHouse Crouch End (07 JAN 12:40, 15:20, 18:00 & 20:40):
- A triple threat of acting talent drives this acid period drama of courtly scheming. Olivia Colman is Queen Anne, a capricious and sickly ruler led by the nose by Rachel Weisz’s courtier Lady Sarah. Abigail (Emma Stone) is a disenfranchised noblewoman who quickly sets about regaining her position by wheedling her way into the Queen’s favours.
ONE CUT OF THE DEAD aka Kamera o tomeru na! at The Prince Charles (07 JAN 15:50 & 18:05):
- The film opens in a run-down, abandonad warehouse where a film crew are making a zombie film… Yet, this is no ordinary warehouse. It’s been said that it’s the site of military experiments… Out of nowhere, real zombies arrive and terrorize the crew!
THE PASSENGER aka Professione: Reporter at BFI Southbank (07 JAN 14:30, 18:05 & 20:25):
- When David Locke (Jack Nicholson) impulsively exchanges identities with a businessman he finds dead in a North African hotel room, he believes he’s starting anew. But passing himself off as someone else doesn’t mean he’s escaping the past…
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 1985 at Rio Cinema (04 to 10 JAN). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE at Ciné Lumière (04 to 17 JAN). A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). FREE SOLO at BFI (until 10 JAN). THE JUDGE at JW3 (06 to 17 JAN). RBG at JW3 (04 to 16 JAN). RETURN OF THE HERO at Waterman’s (04 to 10 JAN). SHOPLIFTERS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bain at Ciné Lumière (04 to 16 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Lexi (04 to 10 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 09 JAN). WIDOWS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). THE WORKSHOP at Whirled Cinema (07 to 13 JAN).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.