SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 07.02.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
BLANK HISTORY + Q&A with director Denis Buckley at Rich Mix (07 FEB 19:00 – could be SOLD OUT? Contact the venue…):
- Seeing the destruction of Grenfell Tower and witnessing the community response in absence of official support was the starting point for the project BLANK HISTORY, a film which looks at how people from immigrant or postcolonial cultures experience loss.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- SCREEN DIARY: We ventured into the wilds of Waltham Forest to enjoy the Women Over 50 Film Festival’s ‘Best Of The Fest’ pop-up event, part of a new UK tour. Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup.
- VALENTINE’S 2019: The Bard told us that “music be the food of love”, but what about movies? Find out in our Valentine’s Day roundup of indie film events across London.
- FEBRUARY: Planning ahead? Look no further than our epic roundup of repertory seasons & film festivals for the month ahead.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Horror and Hilarity: The Legacy of The Grand-Guignol with instructor Richard J. Hand at The Horse Hospital (07 FEB 19:00):
- The Miskatonic Institute Of Horror Studies presents: Hidden at the end of cobblestoned alley in Pigalle lurked a little theatre which was home to the smallest stage in Paris. This was the Théâtre du Grand-Guignol (1897-1962), the legendary ‘Theatre of Horror’. In a district famous for its brothels, streetwalkers and gangsters, the unique Grand-Guignol had a loyal local fanbase and drew in many nervous visitors from further afield.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AN ELEPHANT SITTING STILL d. Hu Bo, 2018 at ICA (07 FEB 13:45).
- BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE d. Jane Magnusson, 2018 at JW3 (07 FEB 18:00).
- BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego & Ciro Guerra, 2018 presented by FiBRA & Mia Pfeifer at Ritzy Picturehouse & Cafe (07 FEB 18:30).
- DISPATCHES FROM CLEVELAND d. Catherine Gund, 2017 at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (07 FEB 19:00).
- MANDY d. Panos Cosmatos, 2018 at The Prince Charles (07 FEB 21:00).
- MARY POPPINS RETURNS d. Rob Marshall, 2018 at The David Lean (07 FEB 14:30 & 19:30).
- THE PIANO d. Jane Campion, 1993 presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Dugdale Centre (07 FEB 19:45).
- RBG d. Julie Cohen & Betsy West, 2018 at DocHouse (07 FEB 18:30).
- THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2017 at DocHouse (07 FEB 14:00).
- TIME TRIAL d. Finlay Pretsell, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (07 FEB 20:00).
- TV Preview: TRAITORS + Q&A with Bash Doran & Keeley Hawes at BFI (07 FEB 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- A STAR IS BORN d. Bradley Cooper, 2018 (07 FEB 13:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- LOCAL HERO d. Bill Forsyth, 1983 (07 FEB 17:50).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- TRISTANA d. Luis Buñuel, 1970 (07 FEB 20:30).
EARLY KOREAN CINEMA: LOST FILMS FROM THE JAPANESE COLONIAL PERIOD at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- CROSSROADS OF YOUTH + SEASON INTRO d. Ahn Jong-hwa, 1934 (07 FEB 18:00 – Currently SOLD OUT!).
FEELGOOD FILMS at House Of Vans (25 JAN to 17 FEB – FREE! No booking required):
- GOOD-BYE LENIN! (07 FEB 17:00 & 19:15).
JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME: PEOPLE STILL CALL IT LOVE at ICA (02 to 10 FEB):
- PUMPKIN & MAYONNAISE d. Masanori Tominaga, 2017 (07 FEB 18:30).
- MY FRIEND ‘A’ d. Takahisa Zeze, 2018 (07 FEB 20:30).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- BLOW UP 35mm d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966 (07 FEB 20:45).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- LADIES OF LEISURE d. Frank Capra, 1930 (07 FEB 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Fringe! Flings: A DEAL WITH THE UNIVERSE + Q&A with Jason Barker at Genesis Cinema (07 FEB 18:30).
- Stereo Spasms Festival: Celebrating Luc Ferrari at 90 (07 to 14 FEB).
BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Rio Cinema (07 FEB 14:00 & 20:15):
- Lyrical, poetic, and mysterious, acclaimed South Korean filmmaker Lee Chang-dong’s BURNING expands a Haruki Murakami short story to create a compelling and mysterious world that explores unrequited love and the nature of obsession.
CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (07 FEB 18:30 — Other Picturehouses available!):
- In a courtroom, a young boy named Zain (Zain Al Rafeea) stands before a judge. He asks to sue his own parents for giving him life. The circumstances that have brought him to this point take us on a journey through his poverty-stricken upbringing in Beirut where he lives with his family.
THE DISTANT BARKING OF DOGS d. Simon Lereng Wilmot, 2017 at DocHouse (07 FEB 16:30):
- Since armed conflict broke out in Ukraine in 2014, the small village of Hnutove has suffered the brunt of it. Ten-year-old Oleg and his grandmother have remained, while many have fled. They take shelter in a makeshift bunker as the rumble of shelling and gunfire threatens.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 93QUEEN d. Paula Eiselt, 2018 at DocHouse (01 to 07 FEB). BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE at BFI Southbank (until 07 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (01 to 14 FEB). DOGMAN d. Matteo Garrone, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (04 to 10 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (until 21 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). THE HOUSE BY THE SEA d. Robert Guédiguian, 2017 at Watermans (01 to 07 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU d. Boots Riley, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). STAN & OLLIE d. Jon S. Baird, 2018 at Watermans (until 07 FEB). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 FEB).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.