SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 07.08.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: Misc. Films & Badlands Collective present A PERFECT WORLD 35mm at the Prince Charles (07 AUG 20:45): “Contains a prison break, the taking of a hostage, a chase across Texas, two murders, various robberies, and a final confrontation between a fugitive and a lawman. It is not really about any of those things, however. It’s deeper and more interesting than that. It’s about the true nature of violence and about how the child is father to the man.” – Roger Ebert.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE CAT HAS NINE LIVES aka Neun Leben hat die Katze + INTRO by Dr Annie Ring at BFI Southbank (07 AUG 18:10):
- A dazzling conversation between five different women, from anti-Vietnam protests to pigtailed picnics. Shot in Techniscope, and lovingly restored by Deutsche Kinemathek, the first post-war German feminist film is as relevant now as it was in 1968.
A PERFECT WORLD 35mm at the Prince Charles (07 AUG 20:45):
- Misc. Films & Badlands Collective present: After a botched prison escape, convict Butch Haynes (Kevin Costner) finds himself on the run with a seven-year-old hostage (T.J. Lowther), pursued by Clint Eastwood’s grizzled Texas Ranger and a young criminologist played by Laura Dern.
SHERLOCK JR. + COMEDY SHORTS + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT at Wilton’s Music Hall (07 AUG 19:30):
- The Lucky Dog Picturehouse is back at Wilton’s Music Hall for a week of iconic silent comedies with live original score. Frequently voted favourite silent film of all time, SHERLOCK JR. sees Buster Keaton star as a young, unlucky-in-love cinema projectionist who dreams of a more heroic role in life. That chance soon beckons, and Keaton’s skills as an amateur sleuth are put to the test.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A QUIET PLACE at Backyard Cinema (07 AUG 20:30).
- THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN at BFI (07 AUG 20:45).
- CASABLANCA at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (07 AUG 21:00).
- DEATH BECOMES HER at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (07 AUG 20:30).
- LEGALLY BLONDE 35mm at the Prince Charles (07 AUG 18:25 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening).
- MAURICE at Picturehouse Central (07 AUG 12:55).
- PIN CUSHION at The Castle Cinema (07 AUG 11:00 P&B).
- THE RECEPTIONIST at Picturehouse Central (07 AUG 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE RECEPTIONIST at Barbican (07 AUG 20:50).
- RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at Regent Street Cinema (07 AUG 18:30 & 20:35).
- THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (07 AUG 20:30).
- THRONE OF BLOOD presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (07 AUG 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
REBEL WITH A CAUSE at Bertha DocHouse (until 12 AUG):
- LAILA AT THE BRIDGE (07 AUG 14:30).
- TRACKING EDITH (07 AUG 16:30).
SPAGHETTI WESTERNS at Deptford Cinema (until 14 AUG):
- DAY OF ANGER (07 AUG 19:00).
SUMMER IN THE CITY at Genesis Cinema (06 to 30 AUG – tickets £5!):
- GIMME THE LOOT (07 AUG 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today. But that means we’ve probably missed something…
> Let us know in the comments below.
EL MAR LA MAR at ICA (07 AUG 18:30):
- Influenced by the Sensory Ethnography Lab’s advocacy of innovative combinations of aesthetics and ethnography, EL MAR LA MAR sits between experimental anthropological essay and imagistic film poem. The 16mm footage deliberately overwhelms with open space, massive skies and landscapes shimmering in deathly heat.
PUNK VOYAGE at DocHouse (07 AUG 18:30):
- This invigorating new documentary follows Finnish Punk rock band Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät (PKN) as they face the glory and struggle that comes with fame. After becoming celebrities in Finland, the radical four continue to dominate worldwide, playing nearly 300 gigs in 16 countries.
SICILIAN GHOST STORY at ArtHouse Couch End (07 AUG 15:20 & 18:15):
- Set in a little Sicilian village at the edge of a forest, this is the story of adolescent innocence and painful reality. Giuseppe (Fernandez) is the son of a man with mafia connections who has turned informer. One day, this 13 year-old boy vanishes, kidnapped by those his father crossed. Luna (Jedlikowska), his classmate who loves him, refuses to accept his mysterious disappearance.
More films in London this week (A – Z): APOSTASY at BFI (03 to 09 AUG). THE APPARITION at Phoenix Cinema (03 to 09 AUG). COCOTE at ICA (03 to 09 AUG). DAMASCUS COVER at Rio Cinema (03 to 09 AUG). GENERATION WEALTH at JW3 (05 to 09 AUG). IN THE FADE at Whirled Cinema (06 to 12 AUG). MADAME at JW3 (06 to 09 AUG). MAURICE at BFI (03 to 09 AUG). PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF DESIRE at DocHouse (03 to 08 AUG). TRACKING EDITH at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 to 09 AUG).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get our SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for news & updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.