RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 + Q&A with the directors at DocHouse (07 AUG 18:30 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!/Check for returns):
- “17-year-old Karma Khaial stands by the Mediterranean Sea that represents freedom to her. But in Gaza, the sea is yet another wall restricting the lives and dreams of its inhabitants. This elegantly shot and masterfully crafted portrait of Palestinian life offers a rare chance to be immersed in the heart of Gaza. Inside a Gaza City taxi, we meet a teacher, a student, and a barber, who all share their dreams and daily predicaments with the driver, Ahmed, with surprising humour and candour.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
LETO d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2018 previews at Barbican (07 AUG 18:20):
- “In the underground scene of 1980s Leningrad, as rock fans eagerly seek out the latest bootleg recordings from the west, Mike (Roman Bilyk), who leads a hugely successful band, is changed by the arrival of Viktor Tsoi (Tee Yoo), a talented musician with a band of his own. Set to a soundtrack of classics, this new film from Kirill Serebrennikov, currently under house arrest in his home country, is a rock’n’roll musical like no other.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- CALAMITY JANE d. David Butler, 1956 at Regent Street Cinema (07 AUG 12:00 & 15:30).
- FISHERMAN’S FRIENDS d. Chris Foggin, 2019 at Rio Cinema (07 AUG 14:30).
- IN FABRIC d. Peter Strickland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (07 AUG 12:30).
- LAS MALCOGIDAS aka The Badly F*cked d. Denisse Arancibia, 2017 at Deptford Cinema (07 AUG 20:00).
- MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (07 AUG 21:00).
- OF FISH & FOE d. Andy Heathcote & Heike Bachelier, 2018 at ICA (07 AUG 13:50).
- PERFORMANCE d. Nicolas Roeg & Donald Cammell, 1970 at Regent Street Cinema (07 AUG 20:35).
- POETIC JUSTICE d. John Singleton, 1993 + Poetry Reading presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (07 AUG 19:45 – Pay As You Feel).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at The Lexi (07 AUG 20:30)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (07 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- GLORIA d. John Cassavetes, 1980 + Intro by Geoff Andrew (07 AUG 18:05).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- Cary Grant: From Knockabout to Knockout Talk (07 AUG 18:20).
- THE AWFUL TRUTH d. Leo McCarey, 1937 (07 AUG 20:30).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- GO FISH 35mm d. Rose Troche, 1994 (07 AUG 20:45).
NO DIRECT FLIGHT at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- Homegoing – Homegoing: Shorts Programme + Q&A with directors Koby Adom & Tomisin Adepeju (07 AUG 18:10).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- FOUR ROOMS 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Alexandre Rockwell & Allison Anders, 1995 (07 AUG 18:15).
- L.A. CONFIDENTIAL 35mm d. Curtis Hanson, 1997 (07 AUG 20:35)
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 enjoys a grind show run (07 AUG 16:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
SUMMER FILM NIGHTS at The Italian Cultural Institute (AUG – FREE!):
- THE COMPLEXITY OF HAPPINESS d. Gianni Zanasi, 2015 (07 AUG 18:30).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (07 AUG).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London this week but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know!
OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (07 AUG 20:45):
- “Based on the Japanese manga of the same name, the film tells the horrific tale of Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik), a businessman who is inexplicably kidnapped and imprisoned in a grim hotel room-like cell for 15 years, without knowing his captor or the reason for his incarceration. Eventually released, he learns of his wife’s murder and embarks on a quest for revenge.”
PHOTOGRAPH d. Ritesh Batra, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (07 AUG 11:00 P&B & 18:00):
- “The latest from writer-director Ritesh Batra (The Lunchbox), Photograph is a charming tale of unlikely romance set against the vibrant backdrop of contemporary Mumbai. Rafi (Nawazuddin Siddiqui) is a struggling street photographer who takes tourist portraits at the Gateway of India. When he meets Miloni (Sanya Malhotra), a shy stranger from an affluent family, he convinces her to pose as his fiancée after his overbearing grandmother decides to pay him a visit.”
RECONSTRUCTING UTØYA d. Carl Javér, 2018 at DocHouse (07 AUG 14:20):
- “On 22nd July, 2011, 69 people were murdered in Norway when a far-right terrorist exploded a bomb in Oslo and then proceeded to shoot children on the island of Utøya where the Labour Party’s youth league was holding its summer camp. Four survivors meet in Northern Norway with twelve young Norwegians to share their experiences and reconstruct their memories.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Barbican (02 to 08 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 08 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (04 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 AUG). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (05 to 11 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 08 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Lexi (02 to 05 AUG). DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 1989 at BFI (02 to 09 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 08 AUG). HAMADA d. Eloy Domínguez Serén, 2018 at DocHouse (02 to 08 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 08 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 08 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 07 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 08 AUG). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (until 08 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (02 to 08 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (02 to 08 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.