RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: London premiere – THE OTHER SIDE OF EVERYTHING + Q&A with director Mila Turajlic at DocHouse (07 NOV 18:20): In Belgrade, an apartment is divided in two by a door, which has been permanently locked for over 70 years. The apartment, which was divided on the order of Yugoslavia’s then communist government, is where director Mila Turajlic’s mother was born, and where Mila grew up.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: In the first of a new series of posts with our friends at Close-Up, we chat to curator Francesco Maria Carreri about found footage programme NEVER FOUND: ALTERNATE HISTORIES OF THE 20th CENTURY (07 to 15 NOV).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
INVISIBLE BATTALION + PANEL at Frontline Club (07 NOV 19:00):
- Invisible Battalion consists of six stories of servicewomen told by three Ukrainian film directors: Iryna Tsilyk, Svitlana Lischynska and Alina Gorlova. The film’s protagonists are different by their life experience, age, military and civil professions, but all of them united by this war.
THE OTHER SIDE OF EVERYTHING + Q&A with director Mila Turajlic at DocHouse (07 NOV 18:20):
- London premiere: In Belgrade, an apartment is divided in two by a door, which has been permanently locked for over 70 years. The apartment, which was divided on the order of Yugoslavia’s then communist government, is where director Mila Turajlic’s mother was born, and where Mila grew up herself.
- Then shows 09 to 11 NOV.
PRINCIPAL DANCER + Q&A with dancer Thiago Soares at Regent Street Cinema (07 NOV 19:00):
- A mesmerizing look on how an artist’s journey is defined by his ability to challenge his own limits. Brazilian hip-hop dancer turned into Royal Ballet’s principal Thiago Soares unveils ROH backstage as he rehearses alongside some of the most outstanding names in contemporary dance – and prepares a trip back home to face one of the most challenging performances in his career.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AN ARTIST’S EYES + Q&A with director Jack Bond at Rio Cinema (07 NOV 17:00).
- APOSTASY presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Millennium Halls (07 NOV 20:15).
- BALL OF FIRE at Regent Street Cinema (07 NOV 12:00 & 15:30).
- BLACK ’47 presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at Langley Park Centre (07 NOV 19:30).
- HACKERS 35mm at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 20:30).
- LIZZIE preview at BFI (07 NOV 18:20).
- O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? 35mm at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 18:20).
- OCEAN’S 8 presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at Langley Park Centre (07 NOV 19:45).
- THE RIDER presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (07 NOV 19:45).
- ROMEO + JULIET 35mm presented by 69 Colebrooke Row at Everyman Screen On The Green (07 NOV 20:00).
- TALES OF THE SILK ROAD: TURKEY short film programme presented by Shorts On Tap & The Bagri Foundation at 93 Feet East (07 NOV 19:00).
- THE THIRD MAN presented by Twickenham Film Club at The Exchange (07 NOV 19:30).
- THOR: RAGNAROK at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 20:45).
- THRONE OF BLOOD + INTRO by Dr Alastair Phillips at BFI (07 NOV 18:10).
- Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN at Deptford Cinema (07 NOV 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- SOME LIKE IT HOT (07 NOV 14:30 & 20:45).
- I LOVE LUCY clips & conversation (07 NOV 18:15).
- GIRLS TRIP (07 NOV 20:30).
NEVER FOUND: ALTERNATE HISTORIES OF THE 20TH CENTURY at Close-Up (07 to 15 NOV):
- OUR CENTURY + PERFECT FILM (07 NOV 20:15).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- Film Africa (02 to 11 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
BLACK MOTHER at ArtHouse Crouch End (07 NOV 13:00):
- Part film, part baptism, director Khalik Allah embarks on a spiritual exploration through Jamaica. Soaking up its bustling metropolises and tranquil countryside, Allah introduces a succession of vividly rendered souls who call the island home.
SUSPIRIA (1977) at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 15:30):
- Dario Argento is Europe’s leading horror director and his SUSPIRIA is a masterpiece, situated between art-house aesthetics and splatter gore-fest. Argento’s expressionist hyper-assault on our senses is legendary!
More films in London this week (A – Z): AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (until 07 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 15 NOV). NAE PASARAN at ICA (02 to o8 NOV). NANCY at Watermans (02 to 08 NOV). PETERLOO at Phoenix Cinema (02 to 08 NOV). PUTIN’S WITNESSES at DocHouse (02 to 08 NOV). REINVENTING MARVIN at Whirled Cinema (05 TO 11 NOV). THE SUMMONING presented by UKJF at JW3 (04 to 07 NOV). THEY’LL LOVE ME WHEN IM DEAD at ICA (02 to 08 NOV). UTØYA – JULY 22 at The Castle Cinema (02 to 08 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.