RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
POSSESSED + INTRO by Metahaven at ICA (08 JAN 18:30):
- Programmed alongside Metahaven’s exhibition Version History, the artists introduce the first UK screening of their feature length audio-visual essay POSSESSED (2018), directed in collaboration Rob Schröder.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
PIN CUSHION + Q&A with Director Deborah Haywood at HMV Curzon (08 JAN 20:30 – Sold Out!):
- Wimbledon Film Club presents: There are excellent reasons for making a firm date for PIN CUSHION: it’s a breakthrough film for director Deborah Haywood; Lily Newmark proves her star potential plus it’s an excoriating dissection of social exclusion among adults and teenagers alike – relevant, funny and unsettling.
POSTCARDS FROM LONDON + Q&A with director Steve Mclean at Genesis Cinema (08 JAN 18:30):
- In his quest for fame, fortune and cultural stimulation, beautiful, young Jim (Harris Dickinson – BEACH RATS, TRUST) becomes the ultimate escort/muse in this sexy & stylish homage to legendary Soho.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ANNA AND THE APOCALYPSE at The David Lean (08 JAN 19:30). A STAR IS BORN at Barbican (08 JAN 20:25). BECOMING ANIMAL at ICA (08 JAN 17:15). DEAD SOULS – Part 1 at ICA (08 JAN 12:20). DESTROYER previews at BFI (08 JAN 20:30). FACES PLACES at Barbican (08 JAN 18:15). STAN & OLLIE + Q&A at Picturehouse Central (08 JAN 19:00). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at The Prince Charles (08 JAN 18:10). THE WILD PEAR TREE at Regent Street Cinema (08 JAN 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- PHANTOM THREAD 70mm (08 JAN 20:40).
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS at The Prince Charles (08 JAN to 06 MAY):
- CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 aka Cléo de 5 à 7 35mm (08 JAN 18:20).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- DEAD OF NIGHT (08 JAN 20:40).
CLOSE-UP ON JASUJIRō OZU at Close-Up (until 13 JAN):
- EARLY SUMMER (08 JAN 20:15).
THE FILMS OF PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON at The Prince Charles (03 JAN to 24 JUN):
- PHANTOM THREAD 70mm (08 JAN 20:40).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF ALEXANDER KORDA: BRITAIN’S MOVIE MOGUL at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- Introducing Britain’s Movie Mogul panel discussion (08 JAN 18:10).
- THE PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII (08 JAN 20:20).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- BABES IN TOYLAND 35mm + BUSY BODIES 35mm (08 JAN 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any festivals projecting today…
CALIFORNIA TYPEWRITER at DocHouse (08 JAN 18:30):
- In an age where we consume, upgrade and have machines that aren’t built to last, Tom Hanks loves typewriters. And he’s not alone. In Doug Nichol’s doc, we meet a man who creates sculptures out of typewriters, another who has spent the most part of his life repairing typewriters, and a typewriter orchestra.
THE FAVOURITE at ArtHouse Crouch End (08 JAN 12:30P&B, 15:20, 18:00 & 20:40):
- A triple threat of acting talent drives this acid period drama of courtly scheming. Olivia Colman is Queen Anne, a capricious and sickly ruler led by the nose by Rachel Weisz’s courtier Lady Sarah. Abigail (Emma Stone) is a disenfranchised noblewoman who quickly sets about regaining her position by wheedling her way into the Queen’s favours.
ONE CUT OF THE DEAD aka Kamera o tomeru na! at The Prince Charles (08 JAN 12:45):
- The film opens in a run-down, abandonad warehouse where a film crew are making a zombie film… Yet, this is no ordinary warehouse. It’s been said that it’s the site of military experiments… Out of nowhere, real zombies arrive and terrorize the crew!
THE PASSENGER aka Professione: Reporter at BFI Southbank (08 JAN 14:30, 18:00 & 20:35):
- When David Locke (Jack Nicholson) impulsively exchanges identities with a businessman he finds dead in a North African hotel room, he believes he’s starting anew. But passing himself off as someone else doesn’t mean he’s escaping the past…
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 1985 at Rio Cinema (04 to 10 JAN). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE at Ciné Lumière (04 to 17 JAN). A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). FREE SOLO at BFI (until 10 JAN). THE JUDGEat JW3 (06 to 17 JAN). RBG at JW3 (04 to 16 JAN). RETURN OF THE HERO at Waterman’s (04 to 10 JAN). SHOPLIFTERS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bainat Ciné Lumière (04 to 16 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Lexi (04 to 10 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 09 JAN). WIDOWS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). THE WORKSHOP at Whirled Cinema (07 to 13 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.