SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 08.04.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
PREDATOR 35mm d. John McTiernan, 1987 at The Prince Charles (08 APR 21:00):
- “Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger), a soldier of fortune, is hired by the U.S. government to secretly rescue a group of politicians trapped in Guatemala. But when Dutch and his team, which includes weapons expert Blain (Jesse Ventura) and CIA agent George (Carl Weathers), land in Central America, something is gravely wrong.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Each month we travel across London to see as many of our featured attractions as we can. We’ve posted our screening notes from last month [MARCH]. Not all journeys ended well…
- We’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for APRIL. Our featured attraction of the month BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET continues today with I’M NOT CRAZY (08 APR 20:25, BFI).
- Filmmaker Gerry Maguire introduces a new series of sci-fi screenings where cult classics set in 2019 have become our DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A DEAL WITH THE UNIVERSE d. Jason barker, 2018 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Clapham (08 APR 18:30):
- Out at Clapham presents: “Made entirely from personal archive footage and home video diaries, A DEAL WITH THE UNIVERSE follows director Jason Barker and his partner Tracey’s incredible story of how he came to give birth to his child, charting over 15 years of the highs and lows of their lives.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ANNIE HALL d. Woody Allen, 1977 at Dulwich Picture Gallery (08 APR 19:00).
- BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY d. Steve Sullivan, 2018 at DocHouse (08 APR 20:15).
- FOXTROT d. Samual Moaz, 2017 at Regent Street Cinema (08 APR 18:30 & 20:45).
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Prince Charles (08 APR 13:15).
- VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at The Prince Charles (08 APR 15:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AKIRA KUROSAWA: SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 13 APR):
- RAN d. Akira Kurosawa, 1985 (08 APR 20:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE MEANINGS OF LIFE at BFI Southbank (APR):
- THE RIVER 35mm d. Jean Renoir, 1951 (08 APR 18:15).
BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET at BFI Southbank (APR):
- I’M NOT CRAZY d. Party Like It’s 2007, 2015 (08 APR 20:25).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 15 JUL):
- ALONG CAME POLLY 35mm d. John Hamburg, 2004 (08 APR 18:10).
KINOTEKA: WITOLD SOBOCIŃSKI at Close-Up (08 to 14 APR):
- FAMILY LIFE d. Krzysztof Zanussi, 1971 (08 APR 20:15).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 enjoys a grind show run (05 to 30 APR).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- STILL WALKING d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008 (08 APR 17:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Ecofutures (04 to 19 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (04 to 18 APR).
- London Games Festival (02 to 14 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (05 to 15 APR).
- Taiwan Film Festival (03 to 14 APR).
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 at Peckhamplex (08 APR 17:30 & 20:35):
- “Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of Anthony Burgess’s decline-of-civilisation novel remains a chilling, thrilling and unsettling cinematic vision of nihilistic violence and social control. Set in a flamboyantly stylised near-future where gangs of disenfranchised teenagers indulge in narcotic cocktails and revel in acts of ‘ultraviolence’, the film centres on Alex (McDowell) and his band of droogs.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 FACES d. Jafar Panahi, 2018 at Watermans (05 to 10 APR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (05 to 10 APR). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 11 APR). BLADE RUNNER : THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 APR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at ICA (05 to 10 APR). BURNINGd. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (08 to 14 APR). CHILDREN OF THE SNOW LAND d. Zara Balfour & Marcus Stephenson, 2018 at DocHouse (06 to 10 APR). COLLISIONS d. Lynette Wallworth at Barbican (10 to 20 APR – daily VR viewing times – limited numbers). EATEN BY LIONS d. Jason Wingard, 2018 at Peckhamplex (05 to 11 APR). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 APR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Watermans (06 to 10 APR). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 to 11 APR). HOLY LANDSd. Amanda Sthers, 2018 presented by UKJF at JW3 (07 to 18 APR). THE IMAGE YOU MISSED d. Dónal Foreman, 2018 at ICA (05 to 09 APR). LAST BREATH d. Alex Parkinson & Richard da Costa, 2019 at DocHouse (05 to 11 APR). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at JW3 (05 to 10 APR). THE PANAMA PAPERS d. Alex Winters, 2018 at DocHouse (until 11 APR). THE REST I MAKE UP d. Michelle Memran, 2018 at ICA (05 to 11 APR). THE SISTERS BROTHERS d. Jacques Audiard, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (05 to 11 APR). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 10 APR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 11 APR).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Follow us: Twitter @radiantcircus | Instagram @radiantcircus
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.