RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
IN THE CLAWS OF A CENTURY WANTING d. Jewel Maranan, 2017 + Intro by Richard Bolisay + Anna de Guia-Eriksson at Deptford Cinema (08 JUN 13:45):
- Filikino x Wavelength Docs present: “A filmic symphony of increasing everyday violence in the aspiration for a global city. Four families live in the seams of Manila’s busiest international port, where they see the wealth of different nations passing them by. Soon, the port expands and panic starts.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Fragments Festival at Genesis Cinema (07 to 15 JUN 2019) celebrates “inclusivity through film”. We took a look at the programme to make a few cheeky recommends.
- Mou Tun-fei’s rediscovered film THE END OF THE TRACK (1970) screened at Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (04 to 13 JUN). Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup.
- We explored the 3 masters of Taiwanese New Cinema at the heart of Close-Up’s new season TAIPEI STORIES (01 to 30 JUN) (and announced an exclusive season discount!).
- We chatted with artist Cristina Polop about her poster design for MIDNIGHT EXCESS #3, Ranjit S. Ruprai’s late night collab with Amos Levin (15 JUN 23:00+, Rio Cinema).
- Our friends at Screen25 are pushing the frontiers of community cinema with LIFT OFF!, a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing (use discount “CIRCUS19” to save!).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
EATING ANIMALS d. Christopher Quinn, 2017 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (08 JUN 15:00):
- “Looking at the way we eat back though supply chains, via farming, back to its roots, the film explores the notion of stepping away from the practices of the past 40 years that have polluted our environment, endangered our health, and caused us all to be complicit in the inhumane treatment of animals.”
South Social Celebrates SPAIN at Moving Pictures Cinema (08 JUN 18:00):
- South Social Film Festival presents: “Celebrating Spain’s rich film culture, the evening includes a film screening, flamenco dancing, tapas and discussion. The film is by talented filmmaker, Arantxa Echevarria: CARMEN Y LOLA (2018) explores genres and genders as it highlights the issues faced by the LGBTQ community in modern society.”
- All RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers can unlock a juicy discount for this event at patreon.com/radiantcircus.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALASKA IS A DRAG d. Shaz Bennett, 2017 at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (08 JUN 19:00).
- AMAZING GRACE d. Allan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (08 JUN 16:30).
- ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhang-Ke, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (08 JUN 20:20).
- FREEDOM FIELDS d. Naziha Arebi, 2018 at ICA (08 JUN 14:00).
- GHOSTBUSTERS d. Ivan Reitman, 1984 at The Prince Charles (08 JUN 20:45).
- GREMLINS d. Joe Dante, 1984 at The Prince Charles (08 JUN 12:45).
- HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (08 JUN 13:30, 15:50, 18:10 & 20:25).
- INLAND EMPIRE d. David Lynch, 2006 at Deptford Cinema (08 JUN 20:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
00S ACTION at House Of Vans (06 to 30 JUN – FREE!/No booking required):
- KILL BILL VOL. 1. (08 JUN 15:00 & 17:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: PAULINE KAEL at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- UNFAITHFULLY YOURS d. Preston Sturges, 1948 (08 JUN 16:00).
JOHN CARPENTER RETROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 31 JUL):
- IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS d. John Carpenter, 1994 (08 JUN 21:00).
OF FLESH & BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at Close-Up (04 to 12 JUN):
- AFTER LIFE d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1998 (08 JUN 18:15).
THE ORIGINAL SIN OF CLAIRE DENIS at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- TROUBLE EVERY DAY 35mm d. Claire Denis, 2001 (08 JUN 20:40).
PLAYING THE BITCH at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- YOUNG ADULT d. Jason Reitman, 2011 (08 JUN 18:20).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
> READ our guide to the inaugural Fragments Festival.
THE DEAD AND THE OTHERS d. João Salaviza & Renée Nader Messora at ICA (08 JUN 18:30):
- “A fictionalised portrait of tribal culture in Brazil. Drawing from the experiences of the filmmakers, who spent several months among the Krahô people of Pedra Branca, the film depicts a young man destined to become a shaman who attempts to resist his fate. Shot in 16mm, this meditative drama won the Un Certain Regard Special Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival 2018.”
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup from LFF2018.
DIRTY GOD d. Sacha Polak, 2019 at Rich Mix (08 JUN 18:10):
- “Following a violent acid attack that left many scars, Jade, a young mother from London, attempts to reclaim her life and some sense of normality. DIRTY GOD is a portrait of a woman with incredible resilience. Jade is no passive victim; she makes her own choices – good or bad – and deals with the consequences.”
KIND HEARTS & CORONETS d. Robert Hamer, 1949 at Phoenix Cinema (08 JUN 15:30):
- “Celebrating the 70th birthday of a jewel in the crown of both British cinema and the great Ealing Studios, this new 4K restoration confirms the fiendishly funny KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS as one of the most wickedly witty and acerbic comedies ever made.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT d. Stephan Elliott, 1994 at The Prince Charles (07 to 13 JUN). AND WITH HIM CAME THE WEST d. Mike Plante, 2019 at ICA (07 to 13 JUN). ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhangke, 2018 at ICA (until 13 JUN). BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 13 JUN). EATING ANIMALS d. Christopher Dillon Quinn, 2018 presented by UKJF at JW3 (11 to 13 JUN). EIGHTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 11 JUN). GLORIA BELL d. Sebastián Lelio, 2018 at Rio Cinema (07 to 13 JUN). HALSTON d. Frédéric Tcheng, 2019 at ICA (07 to 13 JUN). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 13 JUN). IN SAFE HANDS d. Jeanne Herry, 2018 at Watermans (07 to 13 JUN). LATE NIGHT d. Nisha Ganatra, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (07 to 13 JUN). LIAM GALLAGHER: AS IT WAS d. Charlie Lightening & Gavin Fitzgerald, 2019 at DocHouse (07 to 11 JUN). ROLLING THUNDER REVUE d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 at The Prince Charles (12 to 18 JUN). SERIAL (BAD) WEDDING 2 d. Philippe de Chauveron, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 27 JUN). THUNDER ROAD d. Jim Cummings, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 13 JUN). SOY CUBA d. Mikhail Kalatozov, 1964 at Whirled Cinema (10 to 16 JUN). SUNSET d. László Nemes, 2018 at BFI (07 to 13 JUN). TOO LATE TO DIE YOUNG d. Dominga Sotomayor Castillo, 2018 at ICA (07 to 13 JUN).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.